Why Gears Of War Costs $60

Discussion in 'Games' started by LethalWolfe, Feb 5, 2007.

1. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Short little article at forbes.com talking about the money side of game making.

I heard about that link from the latest episode of Bonus Round (episode 3, part 1) over at gametraiers.com. If you haven't seen any episodes of of BR I suggest you check them out. IMO they talk about some pretty interesting stuff about the business and development side of gaming. (yes I work for GT, no I'm not trying to pointlessly plug the site).

2. wako macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    I already knew pretty much all of this. However, I still wish games were cheaper....

It is understandable why games cost so much now a days, however it doesnt mean I cant complain. :D
  3. paddy macrumors 6502a

Jun 25, 2005
    $60 is very reasonable for a next gen game. How would you feel if you walked into a shop and saw GBA games for $60 as I have seen here?
  4. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'd feel like telling the shop owner he mis-priced a game. :D

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    Yeah, when you were paying $40-50, we were paying $60-70. Now, we're paying about $90-100 per game :eek:
  6. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    GOW Collectors pack costs €75 here. Which is $97

If your getting games for $60 - stop complaining and look on the brightside. At least your not on this side of the Atlantic ;)
  7. ChrisA macrumors G4

Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    The price is what it is because people will pay it. Believe me, if no one would pay $60 for a game no one would sell $60 games.

Actually setting a price is normally done so as to maximize profit. profit being the product of volume times unit price. If you can define volume as a function of price then you can make an equation for profit based on price. Take the derivative, solve for zero and you have the maxima.

That's the theory but real world is likely not quite so simple. But still, the reason they charge $60 is they would make less money of the price were moved up or down.
  8. wako macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005

where did I say the $60 dollar price was unreasonable? I only said I WISH it was cheaper ;)
  9. JackAxe macrumors 68000

Jul 6, 2004
    In a cup of orange juice.
    I recall Phantasy Star on the Sega Master System was $70 at the local ToysRus when it was first released.

I'm cheap now days. I personally rather not spend more than $30 on a game, tis why my DS game collection is larger than my N64 and Cube collection combined.

10. SamIchi macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
    Same here, I don't pay full price unless it's a game I really want. Other than that, I'll wait for a deal or price drop.

I remember N64 games being like $70. DK64, I bought that full price for, I think 60 or 70, and it was the worst game I ever played.
  11. kjr39 macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2004
    I ended up getting GoW for Xmas and know my ol' lady paid full price for it. Having completed it today, I can say I think it's worth $60.

Usually, I end up waiting until they are onsale. I don't have that much time to play games, so getting them on release doesn't matter to me...
  12. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

Jul 6, 2006
    Fenton, MO
    360/Ps3 games @ $60 isn't bad at all.

I paid $70 for several SNES games when they came out and didn't even blink an eye. (Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy VI, Street Fighter II)
  13. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Feb 25, 2002
    Sorry, no, this isn't correct; profit is determined by unit equilibrium price minus cost times volume.

Actually, to understand economics as it applies to pricing, I'd recommend that you start by reading this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equilibrium_price
  14. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

Jul 10, 2005
    Rocketing through the sky!
    I don't feel sorry for the gaming companies, needing to sell 500k copies to see profit, boo-hoo. The gaming industry records billions in sales and profits and all that jazz so meh.

And games are cheap now, I paid $95 cdn for my NHL '94 for my genesis back when I made 5 dollars a week for my allowance. (and I used to walk to school in 2 feet of snow uphill both ways backwards with no shoes during an earthquake while a hurricane blew the snow in my face)