Why go Mac?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by NeoMac, Sep 29, 2006.

1. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

Being a recent convert I was wondering why people chose to start using Macs. The first computer I ever used was a Mac in elementary school. We used Macs all the way to high school. Then in college we had a choice in the labs between windows pcs and Macs. My first computer I ever purchased was an HP Pavilion desktop. I have owned 4 HPs and bought my first Mac last year and I am looking forward to buying a Mac notebook soon. Haven’t decided between a macbook or macbook pro. The reason I bought my iMac was just because I thought they looked cool. Since then I have fallen in love with the Mac os. I love the design of the hardware and software. I haven't had any real issues. So I was just curious why people chose to buy a Mac.

2. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Stability...

No Virii, Few problems, Look good...
    actually last more than a few months.
    Ready to go out of the box with apps that actually work together

3. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I hadn't used one since before OS X, and I had to borrow one for a while when my PC died (again) - and that sealed the deal. I couldn't get enough. Since then I've converted back and couldn't be happier.

4. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

http://www.apple.com/getamac/ :D

Seriously though, a Mac just works. I can spend my time doing what I need to do instead of doing what Windows needs me to do.

5. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Well, you know something's wrong when "Task Manager is being used by another application", unallowing you to open it.. (True story)

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I got my first Mac, an 800 MHz iBook, because it was the cheapest laptop with a real video chip. That's right, I bought a Mac based on price! :D

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

8. cbetta macrumors regular

How about: because Steve says you shoukd go for Mac?

9. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

For the overall experience.

Even there's room for complaint in things like hardware, there is no substitute for a reliable computing experience. And even though I think that the hardware is "overpriced" I think that the system as a whole is still good. After all, at least for myself, I spend thousands of hours on a computer over its life. Paying pennies per hour for reliable use is a good deal.

10. HughJ macrumors regular

my first experience with a Mac was back in 1988, i worked in an output bureau, mainly using Autocad on windows, the guy who operated the mac was ill and a job rolled in that needed sorting out in quark (until that point i had never used quark let alone a mac) i reluctantly agreed to prepare the job, within minutes of using the machine i was hooked, it was just soo easy to use and intuitive within a week i had bought a second hand LCIII and never looked back

for me (like many others) its the longevity of the hardware, depsite being slightly more expensive initially than a similarly priced windows product, my previous machine (iMac G4) ran perfectly until i had to replace was my CD drive at a cost of £30, whereas my partners PC has cost her iro £500 to keep running in half the time.

as a result she is having my old G4 iMac and giving her PC to her son

hugh

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You might want to check your date/model - the LC III wasn't released until 1993 :)

12. HughJ macrumors regular

i was trying to remember when i first met my (now ex) wife (not with her anymore...i kept on forgetting our anniversary ;))...it was about the same time..

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Are you sure about that? I bought my LC 475 in 1993.

Why be a Mac user?

In 1993, it was all about usability. I didn't spend 99 % of my time fixing the machine so I could run an application only to finish and have to spend more time moving the memory numbers so that I could run a different application as I had with an IBM L40SX notebook computer.

Most of the time, things worked on Mac OS 7.1. It was kinda bad because a lot of software still wasn't System 7 compatible or 32-bit clean. We didn't have inexpensive CD-ROM drives so I was stuck with floppies. The Japanese language kit was an expensive add-on, too.

Now, it's all about getting things done, in whatever language, and not having to sweat about it. Things work pretty well most of the time but the system requires a lot of machine to get the best out of it.

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Pretty sure :)

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Apple definitely had a problem with too many models. It's frightening that the LC 475 was also being sold as the Quadra 605 (with a 68040 instead of the 68LC040) and two Performa models at the same time as the LC III.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, I did something similar. :eek:

Apple's 12" iBook and 12" PowerBooks were the only small laptops that were also cheap. Other vendors like IBM and Sony had very small laptops....smaller than the 12" iBook or PB.......but they were like the most expensive laptops in their product line. In Apple's pricing scheme, the smallest laptops were cheapest. :)

Also, everyone else was using integrated graphics, but Apple had actual video cards in their laptops, which I thought was fantastic for the price I paid. :)

17. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

18. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I havn't EXACTLY switched yet.(I'm getting a Mac Mini soon, though)

But I'm going to switch because I LOVE the OS.

we used Mac OS 8.0 on a Powermac G3 All-in-one for about 3 months when I was in kindergarten. But in October of 1998, we got brand-spankin new iMacs, with OS 8.1. I loved em. They actually had to cut the school computer technians pay becasue the iMacs were so stable, he rarely did anything.:D

But, in 2002, they were growing a little long in the tooth. Apparently, the school got a better discount on new computers from compaq then they did from Apple, so the school switched to Windows:(

I'm in middle school now, though when I pick up my little sister (The two schools are right across the street from each other) I always make sure to take a peak in the back-up computer lab. They store unused computer equipment back there, so every time i go in, I get to see an iMac, or one of the various models of Powermacs. And I know that school has been with Apple from the beginning, becasue every so often, I'll see an Apple II in or two in there:)

19. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

My friend had been letting me use his mac via VNC for a couple of months and I loved it, so I decided to buy one.

20. kristiano macrumors regular

I agree fully. I know people say "it just works" is an Apple marketing ploy, but I use OS X and XP side by side every day and the experience is a world apart. On my iMac, I just wake it up and am ready to surf the net.

For Windows, it takes ages to wake it up from standby. Then my wireless adapter goes wonky and tonnes of other weird problems appear.