Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I've tried SO many cases, including my newly-arrived Chinao case, and despite some of these trying SO hard to be the Apple case, none of them make it as easy to hit the home button, or the volume controls etc etc, or have the stability when in landscape tilted mode etc, or fit quite "right," or protect ALL corners of the iPad, or not weigh a ton.

The Apple case is far from perfect and needs cleaning every two seconds, but boy is it the best when it comes to simple scratch protection, size, weight, and all with full coverage, too!

Come on, manufacturers!

Darth Maniac

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010
I dunno - the Chinao is pretty much identical as far as I can see. It would be nice if Apple would do a real leather one though.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
The Chinao is OK but the flap isn't very secure when tucked behind the iPad for typing on.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Why does no one ever use the Search function?

It's been discussed to death, son.

Because their question is always soo different from the others that a search will bring up.

You see, they are putting the comma in another location, which completely changes the question. ;)

Darth Maniac

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010
The Chinao is OK but the flap isn't very secure when tucked behind the iPad for typing on.

Never had an issue with that - my main problem with the Chinao is that the main selling point of the case was that it was leather and didnt get as dusty as the Apple case. But the inside is a felt like material - including the bit that holds the iPad in place. While the felt feels nice it attracts dust around the edges of the iPad almost as bad as the official case.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

The yoobao slim leather case beats the apple case in almost every way IMO.

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
So...

you have tried several cases that are not as good as the apple case, so why just dont get the apple case, and clean it once a while.

you cant say the case offers any protection, besides scratching, its so flimsy, noreve ftw, costs alot, but its not bulky and very nice quality

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
Except it doesn't offer full-body protection. All the sides are exposed which, to me, is idiotic.

Yes. Totally agree. I don't want the corners and/or edges of the iPad getting scratched up.

I'm looking for a leather case which protects all edges and corners but has cutouts for the dock connector, speaker etc. It also should have the same folding design as the Apple case, and should be thick enough to add some protection to the iPad.

How hard can it be for a manufacturer to produce this? :confused:

The Vaja Agenda 2 comes close (albeit very expensive and with a long wait time) but even this exposes the entire bottom edge of the iPad...why?

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
I bought one of those hard candy shells... it offers great protection but needing to totally remove the front protector and attach it to the body is cumbersome. It adds a lot of bulk to the iPad and the white/frost colored plastics has turned a tint of yellow.

I spent lots of time reading reviews of other cases and looking at their form factor, and eventually just decided to get the Apple case. I'm glad I did, it's perfect for what I want out of a case. Simple protection, looks nice, screen is covered when not in use, and it adds very little bulk, and it fits well.

I would like to see other manufacturers come out with cases that add a bit more functionality.. something with equal protection but is dockable with a place for a stylus. Probably asking for a lot, but hey, why not?

pdawg

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Yes. Totally agree. I don't want the corners and/or edges of the iPad getting scratched up.

I'm looking for a leather case which protects all edges and corners but has cutouts for the dock connector, speaker etc. It also should have the same folding design as the Apple case, and should be thick enough to add some protection to the iPad.

How hard can it be for a manufacturer to produce this? :confused:

The Vaja Agenda 2 comes close (albeit very expensive and with a long wait time) but even this exposes the entire bottom edge of the iPad...why?

I have to say that I agree with you. Maybe Apple is working on the leather version of their current case? That would be tempting!

Currently I have my iPad in a Belkin clear case, to protect the edges and back, and pop it into my Tom Bihn messenger bag when taking it places. I had hopes for a couple of the cases mentioned in countless threads but can't get over the edge protection issue.

mechanopony

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2010
I have to say that I agree with you. Maybe Apple is working on the leather version of their current case? That would be tempting!

haha, they may be leaving that up to the high end designers though -- LV, Gucci, D&B, Coach, Chanel, they're definitely hitting the leather cases, but so far I haven't seen them being functional so much as just a sleeve or carrying bag.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I totally agree!

I've tried SO many cases, including my newly-arrived Chinao case, and despite some of these trying SO hard to be the Apple case, none of them make it as easy to hit the home button, or the volume controls etc etc, or have the stability when in landscape tilted mode etc, or fit quite "right," or protect ALL corners of the iPad, or not weigh a ton.

The Apple case is far from perfect and needs cleaning every two seconds, but boy is it the best when it comes to simple scratch protection, size, weight, and all with full coverage, too!

Come on, manufacturers!

I totally agree with you. I love the functionality of the Apple iPad case. Everything about it is perfect except for the material picking up all the smudges. I didn't even mind the constant cleaning until more recently the case has gotten worn in and doesn't come completely clean looking anymore.

So I moved on to the Yoobao case as it was most similar but in leather. The wide bezel interfered with typing but I could put with that except for the leather puffed up in the middle on both covers after using it only three days. It looks like crap now so I'm sending it back. The leather was pretty cheesy looking as well. Next I'm going to try the SGP vintage leather case. Hopefully that will be a keeper.

I would really like a quality leather case with the same functionality as the Apple case.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Does the Apple case break in so that it props up in landscape viewing mode in a more stable way? Or does it always stay wobbly?

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Does the Apple case break in so that it props up in landscape viewing mode in a more stable way? Or does it always stay wobbly?

I haven't seen any change to the Apple case breaking in other than smudge discoloration that won't come clean. The stand up mode is still the same. For me I have never used the stand up mode. Even when I use the iPad as a viewer I usually have it propped in the typing mode on my lap.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008

I bought my case in April. It's mostly stable now on a hard surface but still too wobbly for a softer surface (like a bed).

Kobra

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Have any one tried to apply a "water proof" of the type you use on suede shoes? It should (in theory) protect the Apple case from picking up dirt...

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Not a big fan of the way the apple case is constructed myself. I like the yoobao ones better. The way the two sides are just sewn together doesn't seem very edgy in design.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
What about the Cyber Acoustics case?

Have any of you tried the Cyber Acoustics case? I know there is another thread regarding this case but I thought I'd ask. I did place an order for one as I really like the silicone plastic cradle to hold the iPad and it does appear to have all the other features of the Apple case including some extra. It is also in leather and appears from the video reviews and comments that it has nice quality build. I'll write a quick review once I receive it. Hopefully tomorrow.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Cyber Acoustics case - Absolutely great!!!

I do believe I've found my iPad case! After purchasing and trying a number of cases, I found a case that totally fits all of my needs and then some. I originally had the Apple case and had no problems with it except for the material and constant cleaning. It was light, fit like a glove and just worked! Then after about 4 months it became worn enough where even all the cleaning would not make it look nice again. So I was off on a hunt for THE case.

Love about the case:

Leather - right out of the bag I like the look of the case. The leather is fine and smooth like you would expect to see on a pair of new dress gloves. I've seen a post of another that felt the leather was cheap and inferior. I totally disagree. If you are looking for a textured pebbly leather this is not it. This is a smooth and fine porous leather. Very good quality and perfect material for a portfolio type case with black non-obtrusive stitching.

No in your face branding to take away from a clean look. There is no writing or embossing with the brand. I just double checked again to see if there was any branding and unless it's under the iPad I don't see anything anywhere.

Cradle that holds the iPad is unique and just awesome - it is a rubbery plastic that kind of clips at the four corners. It has some stretch so that you don't feel you're going to have to break something to force the iPad in. And before I received this case I was concerned that the corner clips might cause the screen protector to bubble or peel but this didn't happen - screen protector has stayed put. The cradle offers a very secure hold that appears like it will hold
up for years to come and it is really easy and quick to put the iPad in or take it out.

Typing mode - I use my iPad 90% of the time in landscape mode at the typing slant. The front cover fits in nice to the back slat and pretty well stays put without much if any slippage. The angle is great for typing and overall viewing.

Extras - things I could have done without but now that I have them I do use them. The elastic bands that can hold the iPad open or closed just work for what they are intended to and if you don't choose to use them, they are out of sight when the case is closed. The hand band is a nice feature for additional security if you walk around using the iPad on the fly.

Love that Cyber Acoustics gives this product a full year warranty.

Likes - I actually like the inside material which is a coarse black felt type jersey material. It is soft and looks like it will hold up very well. It could tend to catch some hair or dust but appears easy to wipe or brush off with a microfiber cloth. Cause I like this but don't love it, if I could choose the inside material, I would use a nice faux micro suede.

Can you tell I really really love this case! For those of you like me that want a case with functionality like the Apple case but even better - this is the case. There is nothing that needs to be added. The designers certainly did their homework to come up with such a great case. I can happily say I'm done case shopping.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
I have the Apple Case since one month now and it doesn't look weared out at all. And—in opposite to leather, what wears out soon and doesn't look shiny new very long—you CAN clean it. If it's really dirty put it under running water, swipe it with a soft brush and dry it carefully once a month! Perfect clean like new. Try that with leather! Get one drop of coffee, red wine or oil on leather…

I don't like those plastic clamps. The Apple Case is soft overall. No magnets, no zips (beware of that crap!), no buttons, no clamps, no hard plastic, no "hard seams", no fasteners, no loose parts. You can put it even in tight and overfilled bags and nothing will press hard parts (hidden magnets!) against the iPad.

Very compact and SECURE! You can hold and turn the device in ANY way and it will never slip out. Most important! It has a very good grip when you hold it. I love to touch the material. The upright landscape stand is perfect stable when you put a paperweight in the opening. The typing angle is perfect and I am typing a lot (blind with ten fingers).

All connectors and buttons are very well protected but accessible. All sides and corners are covered, important too. There is a very efficient bezel around the touchscreen. It looks professional and discreet. Best value for size, weight, protection and functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.