Why Hollywood Snubbed Jobs at Macworld

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 15, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 68000

Porco

3 iPods? Oh no!!

Hey Hollywood, wake up to the 21st Century will you?!

Funnily enough, other people in the home can be present and watch the same DVD! Yes, even more than three whole people!!! *gasp*

Please don't sue me quite yet, but some of my DVDs have even been seen by as many as SEVEN people! Oh, the shame. :rolleyes: None of my DVD screenings were on an oil rig or in a prison, I must stress!

So, Hollywood, how are those restrictions on sharing movie viewing on DVD going on your products in Wal-Mart and Target?

If it was me, I wouldn't be turning down lucrative competition for the illegal downloads you keep telling everyone is costing you billions all the time. Maybe I'm crazy! :p

3. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

How many times does he have to call Jobs "the whiskered one?" Clever the first time, not the second.

Oddly, he misses the main reason why Disney was the first: Steve Jobs is the largest stockholder. Some predicted that Steve's involvement with Disney might make it more difficult for Apple to sign on other studios. Maybe the real story here is that, so far at least, it's turned out to be true.

4. macrumors regular

kindof stupid article

5. macrumors 68000

Danksi

Movie Downloads undercut DVD's

This bit always urks me - an iTunes movie download, undercutting DVD sales at Wal-Mart etc... they're totally different products.

A DVD provides great quality picture and sound, tangible packaging and usually some extra (sometimes really useful/interesting - sometimes off the editing room floor).

An iTunes movies blows my ISPs bandwidth allowance, uses up my hard drive space and then I loose hair over backing it all up!

Our CD collection may be in a storage box, but our DVD collection, remains on the shelf.

6. macrumors 68040

California

I don't know. I'm an Apple fangoil, but I don't think I would download an iTunes movie because of loss of quality. An episode of Law and Order (any of them) -- yeah, I would.

Hollywood needs to concentrate on making good movies first, then Hollywood needs to crack down on illegal counterfeiters in China and Russia -- not Cupertino.

7. macrumors 68000

dsnort

The studios completely overlook the fact that downloads require no physical investment, ( no DVD ), and are of lower quality and content, ( no specials ). What a bunch of schmucks.

8. macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Money is all they're concerned about. They only see 19 > 14.99

9. macrumors 68000

Danksi

I suspect the specials are their way of maintaining the 'high' prices. Their DVD costs would remain the same regardless of how much information is put on there. They release a DVD, then shortly afterwards a 'Special Edition' DVD, then the series box series... money for old rope surely?

To follow my previous post, regards preferring to buy a DVD, over iTunes. How big are the iTunes movie downloads? I've heard they're around 1Gb?

e.g. I'm charged CDN$3/1Gb over my monthly bandwidth allocation (10Gb) + say $0.40/Gb of hard drive space. So $9.99/$14.99 + $3.40 = ~Price of a DVD.

10. macrumors 6502

OH MY GAWRD! RUN FOR THE HILLS-UH! THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING! AHHHH!

For f***'s sake that is such a stupid article, really.

EDIT: Oh, and while TV shows seem a logical buy from iTunes, movies don't. I'm surprised that many movies have actually been sold. The DVD is a far better buy. Each to his own...