why i am not a republican

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Dec 20, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

all the talk of trent lott has brought up another round of politics...macrumors.com style ;)

i belong to another political party than that of senator lott and even though that party is only slightly closer to my social and religious views, it's not the best fit either

because i am a minority, odds are that i will not be a republican as the numbers show...but there are exceptions

i could be considered a yuppie based on the work i do in one of my jobs, my education level, my appearance, and my car and that group loosely called the yuppies have traditionally been aniti-republican (btw...i hate the term yuppie ;)

i am from a heavily democratic state and an even more heavily democratic county and city...from way back

little demographics here and there like i mentioned above make me opposed to being a republican

but what if i was born different (very rich, or disenfranchised blue collar white, or white instead of being asian, or southern) and from a different area of the country?

what if you were?

thoughts?

2. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Are you Asian? I only ask because I'm half Indian, and we are the MAJORITY.

A little over 6 billion people in the world. About a billion or so in China. About a billion in India. Add to that Japan, N and S Korea, Indonesia, Thialand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Pakistan, Russia, all the 'Stans, and all the others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

One little tiny bubble on the "Race" questionairre, but without a doubt the largest group.

0 Caucasion
    0 African American
    0 Native American
    0 Hispanic
    x Asian

3. Kid Red macrumors 65816

I think he was referring to be a minority in the US. If asian, you'd be a minority here.

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

so, because of the demographics you choose your party? ie, "the majority of minorities (in the US) are dems, so i'll go with them"... that doesn't make any sense.

it's impossible to say what one would be like if born again, as all those different things affect how you are. your views. etc.

in other words, i fear if i were born a rich honkey in arkansas, i might not become the "leader of the free world" via the pants pissers... but perhaps just a different route...

5. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i am japanese american and even though george hw bush got the asian vote in 1992, the japanese american vote was democratic in that election

however, since then, the asian minorities in the usa have voted democratic

i started this thread to try and have people understand what it would be like to be born different than they currently are

i really wonder how i would vote if i lived in georgia and my father was the head of the augusta national private golf club and i was in the highest tax bracket and i owned a chain of restaurants

or what if i was a minority but my dad was colin powell?

or what if every family member i had was in the kkk?

or what if i lived in new hampshire and i wanted to win a seat in congress and i was an up and coming prosector?

interesting thoughts to say the least

6. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

I think we need to send you a label maker and then you can just stick labels on people.

Now for some thoughts.

I live in California, notoriously liberal (except in San Diego). I'm certainly not a liberal, but more so than my girlfriend. She'd appear to be liberal (so you'd be able to stick one of your labels on her), but her political ideas and actions are not.

I was raised to be a Republican, but it didn't work and I'd consider myself a libertarian or centrist. I like democratic social ideals and republican business ideals - this could be a conversation in itself. I think people that make money should give to charities without hesitation. Of course they need to know if it's a good charity or not. I don't like republicans that use money to "get it" their way. That's bad business in my mind.

Democrats want the wealthy to pay for the poor and they have it right when it comes to some issues, but not all. I don't think the redistribution of wealth is really fair. I think you should keep what you earn, but be generous to helping organizations. If you don't have money then dedicate time. If you don't have time and money then you will not be reading this.

To label someone because of the car they drive or the clothes they wear is a bit silly. Lot's of people in Silicon Valley are very wealthy and liberal. You're more likely to vote for the party that represents your views. I do. Some people go with a party because that's what their friends are doing. That's pathetic.

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

just curious... what do you mean by "appear to be liberal"? like literally physical appearance? or based on her economic status... or something else?

i agree, it's ridiculous to join a party just because someone else you know did.

likewise, i think it's silly to joina party at all, because a party will NEVER (unless you're that party's biatch) represent all your views via all their candidates. therefore, vote in each election one by one... rather than right down the party line... in my opinion.

8. MisterBlack macrumors member

9. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

are you suggesting something kinky?

toss in mr. black and i think you have a real party:p :p :p

10. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

Just the way she presents herself. She presents herself one way, but truly is another. Not as much to do with the way she dresses as the way she speaks and acts. I'm comparing her to my other liberal friends. She likes to defy authority just because, but believes in what they're telling her, for the most part.

People look at me and say conservative because of the way I dress and look (which is a great ploy) and then get to know me and say friggin crazy.

11. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

I like to party...... :p

12. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

I have changed my political beliefs several times. To me the conclusion is not if I am one party of another but what politicians do I respect and approve of. Who has character and class?

I vote for who I want running my country. Not along a party line.. especially as it is so blurred now. I admire Nader and many independants, but I cant vote for him... if i had my way McCain would be running the show today.

Im a huge revolutionary war fan and love the classical politicians such as Hamilton and Jackson. Perhaps my political beliefs are based on the fact that I do move often and tend to be independant of the trends and cultures of certain areas. Men such as Ted Kennedy, George Pataki, and yes even GW Bush have proven to be men incapable of true leadership and the sad thing is that they get elected strictly based on uninformed and partisan decisions.

When Bush gets re-elected I may have to go over to Prague.

At least their leader is an artist :)

-Doc

**edit spelling**

13. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I didn't know SD was all that conservative...hmmm, time to move I guess. ;)

Seriously, though, what makes you think San Diego is any less liberal than the rest of the state?

14. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

former governor pete wilson;)

15. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

One conservative leader does not a conservative city make. ;)

Other reasons?

16. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

nixon, or is san clemente a suburb of la?

i was there once as a young kid

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Most people don't know this, but long ago Republican's were the ones wanting to abolish slavery. Lincoln was a Republican when that meant (and stood for) something else. It's changed so much over the years, being a Republican means something completely different now.

I like the way Bill Maher put it, "I'd be a Republican if only they would be".

The whole party political system has become corrupted by the greedy and selfish, with only a few decent so-called politicians in the bunch. But that's neither here nor there. I don't call myself anything, not wanting to be stuck with labels, and vote for who and what I believe in. Regardless of party or affiliation.

And minority refers to people of a certain class or ethnicity or sex or whatever that don't have the majority of percepted power.

Just had to be a Know-It-All today.

18. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

San Clemente is in no-mans-land between LA and SD, but it's in Orange county so technically LA.

19. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I was born anything but white and wealthy and am a republican. Please do put your label on me "REPUBLICAN". This is plain silly - this is why I feel that talking to democrats is like throwing beans on a wall. If you can come to conlcusions like that, you are a racist of your kind, not better than Trent Lott.

20. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

The largest amount of votes for republicans in CA came from SD. Part of that is due to the large military presence.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I agree. But don't forget, Hitler was an artist (at least according to some accounts, and that controversial new movie). Albeit frustrated and struggling. Maybe the leader in Prague is the exception to the rule, but I don't know if being an artist automatically qualifies you to be a good leader. Creative, though, yes.

I dunno. I'm an artist, and I wouldn't want me as a leader.

Prague is supposed to be beautiful though. :)

22. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

Let's see.

I am a white, wealthy, southerner with a conservative family who was educated in an all-boys souther-conservative school. (fairly lieral university, however.)

Aside from my assailed views on the estate tax, I am pretty far left. I do favor less taxation and more controlled spending, but that's really a result of both working with the government and growing up around a well functioning business run in a completely different (and successful) way than any of the government offices I've worked around.

Don't know what I would think if I were someone else. There is a philosphical idea (can't remeber who right now, Hobbs, maybe) called the curtan of ignorance. This goes that if you took people nad placed them in a postition of ignorance about who they would be in life, and then allowed them to design society, they would create an equal and just world. The idea is that everyone wants to be the best, but in the abscence of knowing who you are going o be, you'd just make everyone equally good and happy.

23. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Agreed. The military is a large part of the community here in SD.

Other than that, I feel SD is a liberal city in many respects: lifestyle, culture, etc.

24. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i thought san diego was so conservative that people only wore long sleeves and long pants to the beach...in other words, no bikinis:confused:

25. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Please read a bit about Vaclav Havel before comparing him to Hitler. The man is a great leader and has accomplished great things for his country since 1989. I know it wasn't meant literally.. but the man is closer to Martin Luther King than Hitler.

-Doc