Why I didn't buy a new photo iPod.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by upperblue79, Mar 5, 2005.

1. upperblue79 macrumors regular

upperblue79

So, I went to work today to buy the new 30 gig photo iPod, but got convinced not to. My co-workers reasoning was that my 15 gig 3g iPod is fine and I don't need the photo features or color screen, which they were right. But the great thing is, they couldn't give me a reason not to upgrade my old 17" Apple Cinema Display for a new 20" display and I must say I love this new display and honestly wish I purchased it sooner.

2. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

Spend some time comparing the 24 or 30 inch displays (if you can run one) to the 20 inch and you'll talk yourself out of buying the 20 inch. Yep when you look at the 20 incher side by side with its bigger cousins it looks too small :D

Happened to me ;)

3. 2Sticky macrumors regular

Hahah, the 3g iPod is the best one anyway :)

A large 30" cinema screen. mmmm thats what u want!

4. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

The 24 is probably my favorite. THat extra 1" over the 23 makes so much difference! :D

5. walkerIV macrumors member

Well you know how they say: lose some, gain ... so much more :)

6. iGary Guest

iGary

I love my 20" ACD, but find myself wanting more real estate.

Don't we all? :D

7. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

If you think 1680 x 1050 is too low, you sure wouldn't like my current PC setup: 15" CRT that can't go higher than 1024x768. :rolleyes:

8. panphage macrumors 6502

The only thing tempting me about the 4G ipods is the better battery life. If it's really better and not marketing.

9. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Really? I always believe the 3g were Apple's lousiest iPod revision. First off, lousy 8 hours battery life. Second, non-intuitive button layout. Third, finish on the scroll wheel and surrounding plastic felt rough.

The 2g iPods have a nice button layout where you couldn't accidentally press a button and the layout meant it was easy to locate the functions.

The 4g iPods are the best. Taking cues from the mini and upping battery life to 15 hours.

10. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Battery life is really good. Not hype. Can't say I have scientifically tested mine but it does 10+ hours easy, with lots of tune changes and long backlight etc

11. 2Sticky macrumors regular

Ilike the overall design and looks of it, i not a fan of the clikc wheel, and i like the way the buttons on the 3g light up to. :cool:

12. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i cant see how anyone doen't like the click wheel, the trouble with the current ipod is that i cant use the controls in my pocket, with a click wheel it's much easier, with controls so distinguished up is menu left is rewind right is fast forwards down is play you dont need light up buttons, having the buttons on the top was a major flaw on the 3g, i even prefer my 1g ipod's control even with the physical scroll wheel

13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I agree, i love the red button that light up :cool:

14. paulypants macrumors 6502a

paulypants

I also think 3G was the best -- I loved the slightly rougher finish on the wheel, and the fact that it was all white -- the grey click wheel just looks weird...

15. paulypants macrumors 6502a

paulypants

Wanna sell the 17"?