Why I didn't go with a .mac account

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Mr. Anderson, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ok, so thanks to Cleo, who heard it from Moxiemike (I think) there is a very cool webhosting company www.neureal.com that I'm in the process of switching all my sites over to.

Right now only www.gone3d.com is there, but soon www.dukestreet.com and www.flossgordon.com will be joining it. And I'll have 300MB disk storage, unlimited email accounts (for each domain), 10 GB data transfer, great technical support (already used it to answer some questions), unlimited sub-domains, and a whole lot more, cgi, php, etc.

All for $11.95 a month!!!!

That's $143.40 a year!!

And Apple wants me to spend $100 a year for their service?

And they have a $3.95 a month service that allows all the same service, but only 2 domains, 100MB and 2 GB transfer -$47.40 a year!!!

I think Apple's going to need to reprice their service, at least to $50/year, it just seems crazy to me. And 100,000 members have been signed up so far, ugh....

So that was just a little bit of a rant, but I wanted to thank Cleo (and Moxiemike) for the info, I'm really happy!

D

2. rugby macrumors regular

I went with .Mac for 1 year. If they don't add a boat-load of features I"ll just drop it. Since I run the email/web server here at work (OSX Server btw) it's really not worth it. SHoot, now that Igot a vpn at home I don't even need my idisk.

I just wish I could figure out how to make those nifty photo galleries that APple does.

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

very nice duke! :D

I have my hosting with www.dot5hosting.com...for me the sell was their cheap price, amount of space/transfer, and the ability to host 2 sites on one plan.

I paid a year up front...$69.99....which comes out to less than $6 per month...not to bad I thought... ;)

4. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Yeah, that's pretty good. But what gets me with neureal is that I can manage all my sites at the same time in the same window - its a godsend for maintenance. And if I need to, I can bump it up to Platinum and get 500MB and 15 GB data transfer. We'll see what happens with gone3d - but the data size is nice right now, so that I'll be able to upload movies....but one posting here about my newest animation and I might get slammed....:D

D

5. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

the other thing Cleo learned with the dot5 folks is that even though you can have multiple domain names, you can only have email for one of them, whichever is the "master"account.

That kinda swayed her to neureal.

But if you can live with one set of emails, hell, they're both good bargains. You could use some sort of email forwarding thing with dot5 and make it better. But real separate postsmasters with neureal rocks.

m

6. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

ah emails are over rated!

give me some SPACE for CHEAP.

7. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Well... maybe for you. But I know in Cleo's case, she has a public site for her friends and family and a professional site--and she wanted to use the proper email address that corresponds with her pro site, and use her personal addy with the journal site.

Separating worlds..... i totally understand that

8. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

hm... i think you guys need to realize that .mac is much more than simple web hosting

it's a luxury... it's the ability to automatically publish calendars, it's the ability to easily put photos up from iPhoto (i would die without that ability), it's the mounting a web directory as a drive, it's the best damn web mail interface i've ever used

and the best part? it will get better. i'm sure of it.

even though i have a web host and a server i have personal access to, i went with .mac

9. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

same with me, and with the gone3d site, I've got half a dozen people who need email for forwarding, so its nice. And on the dukestreet account I have my familly, so I need lots of email addresses.

And they have space for cheap on top of this!

Thanks Cleo and Moxiemike!

D

10. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

The thing that you have to remember is the integration with OS X.2 for the average consumer. iPhoto, iMovie, iChat, iCal, iDisk. They are all directly linked into the OS. That is why I got it.

That and it is easier for my wife, and the 100 free prints were very nice. In addition, it will continue to grow. Great deal? no. Great deal for the average consumber. Yes.

11. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Yes, for the average consumer its not bad - I just think they can do better, that's all, given the options that are out there.

Where you been, b2tm? Haven't heard from you in a while...

D

12. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I have been working like a dog. I have iChat open most of the time, but half of the time the apple side doesn't work. If not, I will us Backtothemac instead of my .Mac address.

It has been crazy here. I feel like I have not slept in over a year. ;)

13. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

yeah that would be the optimum thing to do if one was in that situation such as cleo is. true true. forgive me man.

;)

14. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i was thinking about joining .Mac, but now i'm just going to switch to proper webhosting when i need it.

15. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

16. blackpeter macrumors 6502a