Why i had a buyer but decided not to sell ipad2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nychot, Feb 24, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

I advertised mine 16gb white wifi in craigslist and had a buyer for $450 with case. The other morning when i was supposed to meet him i got sellers remorse and decided not to sell. Why? I have some 200 apps plus pages etc. all neatly in folders that actually took weeks to do in spare time. When you go to the cloud or backup to itunes you LOSE all folders, all apps are scattered and you have to start over again making folders and moving all apps etc. i had my Ipad SO customized that i couldnt give it up and face the folder project again. I also couldnt do without my ipad. So i'll wait until the ipad3 gets released and either sell then or keep both. Its crazy that folders cant be kept in place during a backup. Anyone else agree? Anyone else change mind about selling and why?

2. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I restored my iPhone last night from an iTunes Backup and it put everything back like it was before. I can't imagine that is different for iPad.

3. macrumors 6502

Are you sure that a manual backup to iTunes will not retain your folders? Like the previous reply said it should at least do it for the iPhone, although I haven't done a restore in a long time, I can't see a restore to an iPad being any different.

4. macrumors 68020

App location DOES get saved. Ive done restores numerous times both through cloud and local backups. The problem comes when people touch the iPad before the entire process finishes restoring so even though all the apps were downloaded back, its not done until its done.

I have a cloud backup for our iPads but I also did a local backup just because restoration is slow enough without introducing factors like "the cloud" into it.

5. macrumors regular

That is absolutely not true. When you restore from backup, folders and app location are retained.

6. macrumors 68020

I think it's a stupid reason to not buy the iPad 3 solely because you have to re-arrange your apps.

I'm quite certain there are enough apps you actually never use so doing it all over again isn't so bad. And, as pointed out, you can just do a restore from back-up and everything is back in place.

7. G77
    macrumors regular

As was already mentioned - when you have backup in iCloud - you need put in your itunes credentials and wait. EVERYTHING is back. Its the same iPad with all your data.

8. macrumors 6502

Now the OP has a 'WHY DIDNT I SELL' remorse ;)

Your folder structure is saved when you backup AND restore from a backup. So go ahead and sell it ASAP OP

9. macrumors 65816

Sell it before buyer realizes the price he is paying and gets buyer's remorse :)

10. macrumors 68020

Worth quoting this again and down voting because it's incorrect information.

11. macrumors 68020

While I don't think re-arranging folders is enough reason to keep a product you will replace soon, I do sympathize with anyone who's lost their folder work because Ive wasted hours organizing only to have a sync suddenly break my work.

Im hoping that part of the iTunes overhaul is a function to automatically categorize apps because thats a task I never want to do again.

12. macrumors 68040

bigjnyc

13. macrumors 68040

seller's remorse here because i have to read on my computer. i could not care less about my folders. it is such a non-issue to me, especially if several hundred dollars is on the line.

i'll want to totally redo everything in the ipad3 anyhow :)

14. macrumors 6502

That used to be the case, but ever since iCloud and iOS 5.0, backups save all settings and folder organization.

15. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had to do a restire once before and the folders fisappeared. Apple tech support says folders disapoear, sorry.

----------

But i doubt everything can back in folders. Even apple tech support says it cant happen.

----------

It restores apps in alphabetical order not location and not in folders.

----------

I didnt say i wasnt buying one. I said i was going to wait and not sell before release

16. macrumors 6502a

If you don't really need an iPad 3 then the iPad 2 is a fantastic device for the moment, and you definitely have gotten yours highly customized to your likings. So I think you made a good choice. :)

Although, I wonder how the potential buyer might be feeling now. :p

17. thread starter macrumors 6502a

My folders were NOT restored and apps came back in alpha order. Either you were lucky of i wasnt. Even apple tech support says folders are lost.

18. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

You, and the person you spoke to at Apple, are wrong.

19. macrumors 68020

Ah, I thought you were saying you were not going to buy an iPad 3 only because you would have to re-arrange your folders.

20. macrumors 603

So you're going to keep your ipad2 forever and never upgrade? :confused:

It doesn't take that long to screencap the folder arrangements for future reference, nor does it take that long to reorganize apps into folders. I can see it taking a couple weeks to work out the arrangement you want, but recording/recreating should take little time.

21. thread starter macrumors 6502a

AGREED but everyone here is saying i am wrong, that folders remain. Not in my case.

22. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

If you have app syncing turned on in iTunes and do a backup, when you go to do a restore and select the backup that you did before the restore as what you want to use to setup the iPad it will put everything back how you had it. Apps, folders, locations, and app data....all of it will be there.

I get that you don't want to test it out and be wrong, but if you do the backup and restore right.....its like you never missed a beat.

23. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wrong. $450 and it comes with applecare and a case. Check cl and ebay that what they go for or do you live under a rock:D

24. macrumors member

25. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok just to reiterate and amplify

I lost all my folders and all my apps came back in alohabetical order on my ipad2. However, and maybe this is the difference, i was then using the ios prior to ios5. Someone here said it doesnt happen in 5.01. To avoid the same horrific problem i called tech support and was told folders wont be backed up. Thats when i decided not to sell to the buyer and decided to wait for ipad3, which im sure i will buy. When i was still planning to sell and had the buyer i did do a backup to the cloud and moved my photos to iphoto on my mbp. Will i be able to download all my stuff from the cloud to the new ipad3 when i get it, or is everything restricted to the original ipad that uploaded it all?