Why I hate Safari...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cslewis, Mar 23, 2006.

1. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

...today. Whenever I try to use anything web-based that includes flash or javascript, it doesn't work. Other things are the same way... I can't even use the smilies or the buttons in this forum!

Is there anything that school administrators could do to block this sort of thing? If so, can I get past it? :D

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, it may be school administrators. If the feature hasn't been disabled, try resetting Safari from the Safari menu. This should rule out whether it's a problem with the app or the set up of the network. :)

3. cslewis thread starter macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Thanks a lot for the advice, but I'm sorry to say that I've tried it already. Unfortunately, it does nothing.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Needless to say, Flash and JavaScript work just fine in Safari. Most likely there is something fouled-up on your computer. You need to try to diagnose the problem and fix it.

7. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Are Java and Plug-ins enabled in Safari preferences (under Security menu)? If not, this is probably your problem. There is a fair likelihood that the Admins have disabled them.

8. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

9. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

This shouldn't make a difference. Safari works fine on a 20'' Intel iMac at home.

10. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

Whew! I was worried about a long and creepy manifesto with a subject header like that.

11. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Just can't deal with firefox scrolling after getting used to safari...scrolls like butter!:D

12. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Plus it doesn't look nearly as good. If you're really desperate, at least use Camino.

13. trogdor! macrumors regular

I just use firefox when safari doesnt work correctly with a site. This works 99 percent of the time.

14. emaja macrumors 68000

Another vote for Camino if you can use it. Safari's a memory hog and I have to quit it at least once a day when it becomes slow.

15. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

Use Shiira! I dont know if it will fix your particular problem but in general, Shiira > Safari, Camino, Firefox

16. cslewis thread starter macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Wow. I can play mini-hacker and bypass the admin controls to install apps and use restricted programs on here, but I can't look in the Safari 'preview' menu.

Thanks, altitude_max. :eek:

17. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

Oh Snap!

18. ke2000 macrumors member

'Anti-Safariest'? I can't remember who said this, 'If you don't like it, don't say it'

19. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

No problem head101_mac! Glad it worked. Just don't do anything too naughty and don't let it distract you from your school work.;)

20. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

i had a problem with flash-safari with my intel imac. (discussed and solved in one of the earlier threads i solved-my-own-problem)

its apple or flash's fault for not making the flash 8 universal with safari. it happened when i updated to 10.4.5 (updating safari in the process) and flash 8 musta been forced to update. unforuntantly, it conflicted with each other "X-MIME is missing, download at the site below" but it never recognized it (flash website's update could be PPC-only).

search up my posts and i have this link. its the stock flash-plugin when you originally purchase an intel imac. just put it in your "internet plugins" folder and restart safari. flash works and everything.

21. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Er, mac_head101, if you can't use smilies in this forum, where did the smilie come from??

22. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

From what I could gather, the "click-to-insert" smilies didn't work, but just typing the codes eg. :) did.

23. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

Generally I have no problems with Safari,
    but i do hate the fact that it doesn't refresh a page properly, even when doing "Apple Key + R"

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think Firefox has a flash or java problem on my computer, possibly both. And yes, I did install everything necessary.

Safari works most of the time, but then there are some sites I can't use with Safari, so I have to use FireFox.

We really need at least 2 browsers in the Mac world, which is fine in most instances, but annoying in others.

25. cslewis thread starter macrumors 6502a

cslewis

I meant that I couldn't use the smilies bar: I remembered the code.