Why I hope Apple won't release an iPhone...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by lmalave, Jan 1, 2003.

1. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Holy cannoli! Have you all seen the new Nokia 3650?

http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,5184,2273,00.html

I just saw ads for it during the Rose Bowl and man it looks HOT! Built in camera for video capture or still shots (color screen acts as viewfinder). Contacts and Calendar with 3.4 MB built-in memory. Expandable with MultiMedia Card. Bluetooth. Runs Symbian OS and Java.

Man, if someone writes an MP3 player app for this pnone that can play audio to Bluetooth headphones, this will be everything I want in a phone! Just pop in an MMC card, and you can take plenty of pics, take a few songs to go, etc. I see Nokia sells their own 64MB card, but I wonder if you can use 3rd party MMC cards, which I know go up to at least 128MB...

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Very nice, personally I'm still waiting to see how the SonyEricsson P800 will be when it is finally released.

3. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Nice phone, it's crazy what they are doing with cell's now, but does it make you not want Apple to make a phone exactly?
    And personally I like the look of the SonyEricssonP800 more.

4. lmalave thread starter macrumors 68000

lmalave

You really like the P800 more than the Nokia? I like the Nokia's rounded contours more. And check out the circular keypad! I haven't seen anyone try a circular keypad before...

But I just checked out the specs on the P800 and dang! I don't think it records video, but it does include MP3 player software. The MP3 player is much more important to me than video, so between the SonyEricsson and the Nokia, I'd have to go with the SonyEricsson right now. Right now Verizon Wireless doesn't even support the T68i, though, and I still have more than a year on my contract, so I probably won't get on of these bluetooth-enabled phones anytime soon...

I don't mind if Apple makes a phone - I would still like to see a super iPodPhoneCam that does everything I want as described above, but I'm just saying that if Apple were to release such a phone at MWSF, folks like Nokia, SonyEricsson, and Kyocera wouldn't be that far behind. Of course having 5GB or more of storage would be sweeeet - make the Nokia's 64 MB MMC card look like a joke....

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

this is the future of computers, getting smaller and finally disappearing from the desk/table/business

how can apple afford to ignore it forever?

gone are the days of huge beige desktops

and gone are the days of colored plastic, also

apple inc has to move forward and can't afford to get nostalgic on any given technology

6. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

i like my 720i it has a camera... it is an attachment and alot of memory not sure how much plus lots of battery lifen color screen and IT IS SMALL...oh yea it also is a good pda like thing i like the new samsung with the build in camera evenmore....

i dont need bluetooth yet but maybe when i get a new bluetooth printer i might get a new bluetooth handy

7. lmalave thread starter macrumors 68000

lmalave

Yeah, man, let's take it one step further: Have a super iPodPhoneCam with a real CPU (maybe a G3-derivative system on a chip with integrated video), add a video-out port like on the iBook, add Bluetooth of course for wireless keyboard/mouse. And what do you have? A true palm-size computer! And wait until they have those folding OLED screens in a couple years. And some cheap Flash RAM technology so you could put, like, a couple GB in there and have your mini-computer running OSX be instant-on (then again OS X has a real sleep mode so maybe you don't even need this). You would, of course, need a next-generation battery technology to power the thing... Then you could carry your whole computer around in a bag the size of a typical camera case, containing the super-iPod CPU unit, a folding screen, and maybe a folding Bluetooth keyboard with trackpad. Sweeeeeeeeeet!!!

8. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

iphone aparently isn't a peice of hardware, its a video confrence app, this is what I've heard so far anyways

9. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

mac15:

it sounds like it is going to be an app for vid conferencing like you suggest. it would probably make use of those firewire and USB cameras that have been available for some time. just no software.

now we will see.

10. lmalave thread starter macrumors 68000

lmalave

Don't worry, I don't think Apple is ignoring it. THE biggest clue, in my opinion: why is the iPod called the iPod? The name doesn't suggest ANYTHING to do with music. In fact it suggests a device that is itself a digital "hub". So whatever Apple has up its sleeve, I think it will definitely involve adding functionality to the iPod, or at least letting it integrate with other devices via Bluetooth, Airport, or the existing FireWire port (possibly leveraging Apple's IP over FireWire).

11. thebladerunner macrumors newbie

Sorry to the Nokia 3650 and P800 lovers, but European (not to speak of US phones...) are so last century. Look at the Land of the Rising Sun for guidance on what will be incorporated here in 12-15 months...

* Much better cameras (CMOS chips). No ugly add-on cameras.
    * Business models that work since 1999 (i-mode).
    * Java downloads and huge selection of games and more.

The P800 actually is nice for Western standards, but price vs performance is terrible and it is too late. It will never get beyond the geeks who buy anthing new...

So either Apple comes out with something really cool and works with a Japanese manufacturer for some technologies/components (like they did with Toshiba for the iPod HD) or they better leave it to the pros.
    Same for digital cameras/corders, not the same playing field as MP3 players although many people think so.

I do hope for a Tivo on steroids from Apple...

12. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

it's been that way for quite awhile

when the ibook, version 2, came out, i thought it looked a lot like the fujitsu laptops that were already around for more than a year

13. lmalave thread starter macrumors 68000

lmalave

Good point. Well, Apple is working with DoCoMo on MPEG-4 streaming video, so who knows what else they are cooking up?