Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
This is what we can do in Android/S4 that you cant with Iphone/IOS. It is a long list but you may say they are gimmicks. Bottom line is between the have and have not.

- A File Explorer that combines phone and cloud storages (box, gdrive, db etc) using side-by-side views allowing easy movement of files betw. storages. Ability to use the "Open With..." to open any file using any registered & installed apps.

- Easily share any files/contents via any registered share providerss (BT, Wifi, cloud storages, social networks, usb etc). You can add new share streams easily (by installing apps). No need to wait for OS upgrade like Iphone.

- Ability to download/save any files from any sources (browser, apps etc) into the phone storage. No need to use dropbox like iphone wasting cellular data and battery life or slow response.

- Files copied to phone storage are accessible by any built-in/3rd party apps. (on iphone for example, you need to reload itunes media files in the phone to dropbox if you want to use 3rd party media players instead of stock iphone player)

-Ability to attach multiple files of any types to email (incl. re-edit re-attach). Ability to edit/view any attachments as long as there is a installed app that handles the file type.

- Multi-clipboard (last 50 clippings + predefined text) to easily enter/paste text anywhere.

- Easily set custom ringtone. Just copy rintone files to phone via any available means (bt, wifi, cloud etc). It will show up in ringtone selection. No need to go thru tedious steps (like in iOS)

- Tap on NFC sticker to automate task (e.g tap NFC sticker in car will auto turn on BT, start music playing, set the phone to "drive" mode and activate turn-by-turn navigation app).

- Set phone to only allows calls from "Family" contact group from 12-7am. Plus auto reject any calls that is in the blacklist. You can set-up multiple schedules (unlike iOS "do not disturb")

- If there is a "meeting" entry in calendar, phone auto change to vibrate mode and only allows "family" and "work" contact group calls during the meeting period. (No need to remember to flip the silent switch on/off like in Iphone).

- Phone conversation recording is auto turned on for calls with a certain prefix. Plus you can play a tune or send a pre-defined message to callers if you didnt pick up the phone.

- Background write entries into a (sub) Google calendar for calls/sms activities (like a diary). Very useful if you have multiple cell lines. No need to move log/sms from one phone to another any more.

- Direct dial/sms with picture icon on desktop or in folder for quick one touch operation. Plus ability to create shortcuts to any files/contents for quick one-touch access.

- Auto send pre-defined sms/email to contacts birthday / anniversary. Auto backup data. Auto check-in to social networks based on location. Auto background upload of photos to ANY social networks (without needing to open the apps manually).

- Location-based (cell tower/gps) automation. e.g. when picking up someone auto-send a reminder sms when you are near predefined pickup point. Or turn on/off phone settings (BT, wifi, sound etc) when you enter/exit a certain predefined location.

- Ability to use "live" wallpaper to beautify your home scree OR ability to auto-change static wallpaper periodically. Plus use transparent icons without labels on desktop screen. Also use gestures for tasks/app launching (e.g. tap or swipe-up for different operations)

- Use widgets to display self-updating current essential info (tw,fb,g+,IMs,stock,weather etc) on the desktop screens. No need for tedious one-by-one opening of apps to view new information like in Iphone.

- Phone will keep the screen on if it detects that you are looking at the screen (Smart Stay).

- Smart Rotation to rotate the screen based on the orientation of your eyes and sensor. Reduces all the unwanted screen rotations.

- Turn the phone over to switch to vibrate mode (or have ring silenced during incoming call). Tilt phone to zoom when in gallery/browser.

- Multi-use LED indicator for events (missed call/sms etc). Also can have repeated sound reminders for missed call/sms/calendar/other events.

- Quickly toogle phone settings from notification area. Easily set alerts to notify of cell duration/data usage.

- True multi-tasking allows for concurrently running "stacked" applications. Use the hard "Back" button to easily navigate back from stacked application windows. (no need to fumble about and wasting time to restart previous app like in Iphone)

- Fully working and always-on Skype, G+, voip... etc (receive as well as make calls). Plus Integration to phone contact to easily initiate call/video-call/message directly from phone contact.

- Soft keyboard with multi-words prediction and easy punctuations (i.e. less typing). Include swype keyboard and T9 keyboard. Also IN-PHONE voice to text module without needing to connect to Internet (jelly bean).

- Easy unlock lockscreen (swipe in any direction - no need to look for unlock switch). Able to use pattern lock or facial unlock. Lock screen includes 5 shortcuts which activate app directly. Ability to add widgets to lockscreen (4.2 above)

- Able to use voice commands to change phone settings + do navigation + etc.

- Easily connect portable devices (hard disk, usb-hub, keyboards, game controllers, Bluetooth devices) to phone and use them with the USBToGo/usb-host capability.

- Ability to create unrestricted phone-to-other-devices wireless connection via Wi-Fi Direct and BT.

- Much more functional camera/video taking app (video in video, eraser shot, panorama, multi-shot, best shot, share shot, buddy shot, smile shot, take photo/video in various resolutions, iso selection etc)

- Output phone display to external monitor/TV using cheap and non-proprietary HDMI-out cable. Add a Bluetooth mouse and you can replicate what you can do with Apple TV (at much cheaper price and certainly much more portable)

- Use DLNA to stream media to any DLNA-enabled devices without needing expensive add-on equipments (like apple tv).

- Able to load into phone and play any media files (avi, mkv, divx) directly without tedious conversion. (i.e. transfer files into phone via bt,wifi,cloud etc and play). Unlike Iphone/iOS where you can only load media from one master itunes PC and also wasting time waiting for Itunes to convert these videos.

- Able to play video in popup window (i.e Popup Play). You can continue to watch video while doing other tasks simultaneously.

- Able to expand phone storage to max 96 Gb. Potential can have unlimited in-phone storage by attaching a portable drive using the USBToGo capability.

- Better productivity with much faster scrolling capability than iphone. see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH1GDLunomY

- Removable battery for extended use without needing to carry heavy/bulky external battery packs. Replaceable/removable back cover so you can enjoy and use phone without casing if you want to (without worrying of expensive scratch repairs).

- Able to set a reading font size in browser. When zoomed in, text always appear at this specified font size. Text is also reflow to fit the screen for easy reading without side-scrolling.

- Legacy Flash plugin support to view flash sites (incl. browser embedded you-tube)

- Able to press the home-button to answer call or power button to end call. Plus set speed dial numbers on the Phone dialpad. And predictive contact search via dialpad.

- Able to use motion do to tasks (flip over to silent sound, tilt to zoom, shake to unlock phone, etc)

- GOOGLE NOW that is integrated into the OS

- Able to SEAMLESSLY replace any stock apps with 3rd party apps to upgrade or improve functionalities. Also, app automatically scale up to match screen size (unlike Iphone 5 which runs older app with letterbox strips)

- Better overall and more functional Google-based services/apps. Ability to search for and install apps using PC browsers. Ability to "side-load" apps without going through online app store. Ability to backup your phone to microSD card.

- Able to selectively add multiple Google accounts to phone. You can also selectively select what data to sync to phone from you google account(s).

- Much larger physical screen.

I'll add on to that .........

Able to set data limits.

Detailed view of battery usage.

Able to forget(delete) or edit saved wireless networks that are not in range.

Haptic feedback (Must be Jailbroken on iPhone)

Able to pinch to see all pages of home screens at once. Also works with app/widgets drawer.

Available tethering apps without root or custom rom.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
And that sir, is why Android will always be better than iOS.

IOS can't make a list of things it can do that Android cannot.

I can't honestly say i've even used a quarter of those features. While they look cool on paper, i'd be surprised if other people used more than a quarter of those either.

One of the dealbreakers that made me sell my Android phone and go back to iPhone is that you cant plug in an instrument into an android phone, therefore, you don't have access to a whole world of recording, modeling, and effects apps. Ampkit, Amplitube, JamUP, FL Studio, apps like those.

Obviously not everyone plays an instrument, therefore not a deal breaker for many.

I use an iMac, and an iPad, and I missed out on the integration and the content sharing. For example, sending a text on my iMac, and continuing the conversation on my iPhone. Or playing Vice City on my iPad, and continuing the same save on my iPhone when I am away from home.

Being able to Facetime with other iOS users was another thing I missed. I couldn't force all my friends and family to download Skype and setup accounts.

Smoother screen scrolling. Not having to wait for virus scans every time I power cycled my phone, or installed an app, not having to do a virus scan period.

More importantly, performance lag, apps crashing, and other funky behavior was common on the Android phones i've had (bad luck, maybe?), and were very rare on the iPhone.

To me, one of the biggest issues with Android is the fact that it's Java coded, which has more inefficiencies than iOS which is C+++ coded, and it seems like the quad core cpu's and the long list of amusing features that don't get used much, is their attempt to compensate for the laggyness inherent in their OS. It's the same latency issue that is the reason why you cant plug in instruments.

But the biggest reason, is the apps. Android has tons of apps, but it has nothing to do with quantity, it's the fact that many of the best apps don't come out for Android. And when it does, it's often much later, or it's an iOS port, meaning the performance is not as good, because it doesn't utilize the top android phones GPU's, therefore games have dropped framerates.

But if I wanted to make a list of things iOS does that Android can't, I could:

1-Bit Ninja
100 Rogues
1001 Attempts
247 Missles
4NR
AC/DC Pinball Rocks
Action Driver
Action Movie FX
Aerox
Alive 4ever
Alive 4ever Returns
Amateur Surgeon 2
Amazing Ants
Ampkit
Amplitube
Animoog
Apocalypse Max
Aquaria
Aralon
Arc Squadron
Archetype
Arms Cartel
Arranger
Ascension
Autumn Dynasty
Back to the Future Episode 1-5
Backspaces
Ballistik Wars
Band of the Day
Barefoot World Atlas
Bastion
Batman Arhkam City Lockdown
Battle Academy
Battle Bears Royale
Battleland: Warrior vs Monster HD
Battle Of The Bulge (Shenandoah Studios)
Battlefriends At Sea
Battleship (Hasbro)
Beatdown!
Beatmaker
Beatronome
Bike Baron
Bit Dungeon
Bladeslinger: Ep 1
Bloom HD
Blue Note
Blueprint 3D
Bookworm (Popcap Games)
Bounty Bots
Bubble Galaxy
Bubble Seasons
Bullet Time HD
Bumpy Road
Burnout Crash!
Call Of Snakes
Car Town Streets
Carmageddon
Castle Age
Cat Physics
Catapult King
Catch The Ark
Chimpact
Cinebeat
Circuit Playground
Clash Of Clans
Coaster Crazy
Command & Conquer: Red Alert
CraftedBattle
Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart
Crazy Bill
Crazy Quest (Grahams Solutions)
Crazy Taxi (Sega)
CSR Racing
Cubed Rally Racer
Cubed Rally Redline
Cyto
Danmaku Unlimited
Danmaku Unlimited 2
Deal Or No Deal
Deepworld (MMO)
Devil May Cry 4: Refrain
Devils At The Gate: Pacific War HD
Disney Super Speedway
DJay
DM1
Dondonpachi Maximum
Dragon Island Blue
Dragon Skies
Dream of Pixels
Dungeon Story
Earn To Die
Elements Defender
Epoch
Escape The Swamp
Eternal Legacy
Expand It!
Fairway Solitaire
Fieldrunners 2
FIFA 13
Fight Night Champion
Figure
Filtratron
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy Chaos Rings II
FL Studio
Flight Unlimited Las Vegas
Flashout 3D
Flick Home Run
Freeskate
Fishmoto
Galactic Phantasy
Galactic Phantasy: Prelude
Garage Band
Gear Jack
Gems with Friends
GeoDash: Wild Animal Adventure
GeoSociety
Gesundheit
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Girls Like Robots
Glitchamaphone
Glitchbreaks
Golden Axe 2
Graffiti Me!
Gravity.Duck
Groove Coaster
GTA: Chinatown Wars
Gun Bros 2
Hairy Tales
Hay Day
He-Man
Heal Me!
Hector: Badge Of Carnage
Hero of Sparta 2
Heroes and Castles
Hundreds
I, Gladiator
iKaossilator
I Am T Pain
I Dig It
I Dig It: Expeditions
I Love Katamari
iSequencer HD
iMPC
Impressionism HD
Incoboto
Infinity Blade
Infinity Blade II
Infinity Field
Into The Dead
Ironman 2
iTunes U
Joe Danger
Jool
Judge Dredd: Countdown Sector 106
Juggle It
Jumping Finn
Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe New World
King Cashing: Slots Adventure
King Cashing 2
Kingdom Rush
Korg iElectribe
Korg iMS-20
Korg iKaossilator
Korg iPolysix
Le Havre (Codito Dev)
League Of Evil 2
Legendary Wars
Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4
Leggo Harry Potter: Years 5-7
Letterpress
Lightning Assault
Limbo
Little Acorns (Chillingo)
Little Inferno
Little Masters
Living Earth
Lostwinds 2: Winter of the Melodias
Luminosity Brain Trainer
Lunar Silver Star Story
Macguffins Curse
Mad Skills BMX
Madcoaster
Mage Gauntlet
Magic 2013
Marvel VS Campcom 3
Matching with Friends
Mega Man X
MetalStorm
Micro Miners
Might & Magic: Clash Of Heroes
Mikey Shorts
Minigore
Minigore 2
Mirrors Edge
ModCloth
Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2
Monkey Island 3
Monsters Inc: Run
Monster Wars
Mr. Ninja
Mr. Oops!
Multitrack DAW
Mutant Fridge Mayhem
Myst
Nano Studio
Need For Speed Shift 2 Unleashed
Need For Speed Undercover
Negative Nimbus
Neuroshima Hex Puzzle
New Puzzle Bobble
New Bust A Move
Noble Nutlings
NY Zombies
NY Zombies 2
Ocarina (Smule)
ORC: Vengeance
Orphion
Outwitters
Ovenbreak 2
Over HD
Parallax 2
Penny Arcade: The Game
Penumbear
Percolator
Phantasy Star 2
Pheed
Phoenix HD
Phoenix Wright
Pilot's Path
Pixel People
Pix'n Love Rush: DX
Pocket Army
Pocket Climber
Pocket Heroes
Pocket Zoo HD
Polymer
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Pro Pool 2012
Puerto Rico HD
Punch Quest
Puppetshow: Mystery of Joyville
Puzzle Agent
Puzzle Craft
Rad Soldiers
Radia
Rainbow Six: Shadow Vanguard
Rage HD
Rage Of The Gladiator
Rat On A Jet Ski
Rat On A Snowboard
Ravenmark
Ravensword: Shadowlands
Real Boxing
ReBirth
Reckless Racing 2
Red Conquest
Repulze
Revenge of the Rob-O-Bot
RISK
Robokill
Robot Rampage
Rockband
Rockmate
Roland VR-09 Editor
Samplr
Samurai II: Dojo
Samurai Bloodshow
Scale Wizard
Scribble Hero
Scribblenauts
Shadow Guardian
Shadow Love
Shadow Warrior
Shining Force
Shufflepuck Cantina
Sid Miers Civilization
Sid Miers Pirates
Skate It
Skee-Ball 2
Sky Gamblers: Storm Raiders
Skylanders: Cloud Patrol
Slayer Pinball
Slender Rising
Slingshot Puzzle HD
Slingshot Racing
Smash Cops
Snapguide
Solforge
Sonic & Sega All Star Racing
Soul Calibur
Spellcraft
SpellTower
Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor
Split Pic
Spunk And Moxie
Stack The States
Starfront Collision
Stompbox (guitar effects)
Storm In A Teacup
Strange Loves 1: Vampire Boyfriends
Street Fighter Volt
Street Figher VS Tekken
Strum
Summoner Wars
Super Hexagon
Supermagical
Swing King
Swordigo
Tab Toolkit
Table Top Racing
Tactical Soldier
Tentacles: Enter The Dolphin
The 7th Guest
The Gods: Rebellion
The Grading Game
The History Channel
The Infinity Project 2
The Last Express
The Lords of Midnight
The Math Tree
The Room
The Silent Age
The Simpsons Arcade
The Simpsons: Tapped Out
The Sims 3: Ambitions
The Sims 3: World Adventures
The Sims Medieval
The Voice: On Stage
The Walking Dead: The Game. Episode 1-5
The World Ends With You
Ticket To Ride Pocket
Ticket To Ride Europe
Time Geeks: Find All
Time Surfer
Tiny Sheep
Tiny Wings
Toca Band
Toca Hair Salon
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Shadow Vanguard
Tom Clancy's Hawk
Total Recoil
Touch Hockey 2
Touchgrind
Tractor DJ
Trenches
Trenches II
Trivial Pursuit
True Skate
Turtles, Huh?
Twisted Lands: Origin HD
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Unstuck
Verticus
Vintagio
Wake The Cat
Warpspeed 2
West Legends
Wimp: Who stole my pants?
Wind Tunnel
Wipeout
Worms 2: Armageddon
Worms Crazy Golf
Wurdle
X-Plane (Extreme/Airliner/Helicopter/Carrier)
Yahtzee HD
Yesterday
You Don't Know Jack
Zombie Gunship
Zombieville USA 2
Zuma's Revenge

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Here we go again with the almighty list of games most careless about. :rolleyes:

Waste of thread space indeed.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
So you made a list that proves the iphone is childs play ? :eek: hey if you're productive playing games, carry on.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
So you made a list that proves the iphone is childs play ? :eek: hey if you're productive playing games, carry on.

All apps. actually, in every category. Business, Art, Entertainment, Music, Photography, Video Editing, Education....

Can't say I can recall any key Android apps that aren't on iOS. Can you?

Ashe9

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2013
This is what we can do in Android/S4 that you cant with Iphone/IOS. It is a long list but you may say they are gimmicks. Bottom line is between the have and have not.

- A File Explorer that combines phone and cloud storages (box, gdrive, db etc) using side-by-side views allowing easy movement of files betw. storages. Ability to use the "Open With..." to open any file using any registered & installed apps.

- Easily share any files/contents via any registered share providerss (BT, Wifi, cloud storages, social networks, usb etc). You can add new share streams easily (by installing apps). No need to wait for OS upgrade like Iphone.

- Ability to download/save any files from any sources (browser, apps etc) into the phone storage. No need to use dropbox like iphone wasting cellular data and battery life or slow response.

- Files copied to phone storage are accessible by any built-in/3rd party apps. (on iphone for example, you need to reload itunes media files in the phone to dropbox if you want to use 3rd party media players instead of stock iphone player)

-Ability to attach multiple files of any types to email (incl. re-edit re-attach). Ability to edit/view any attachments as long as there is a installed app that handles the file type.

- Multi-clipboard (last 50 clippings + predefined text) to easily enter/paste text anywhere.

- Easily set custom ringtone. Just copy rintone files to phone via any available means (bt, wifi, cloud etc). It will show up in ringtone selection. No need to go thru tedious steps (like in iOS)

- Tap on NFC sticker to automate task (e.g tap NFC sticker in car will auto turn on BT, start music playing, set the phone to "drive" mode and activate turn-by-turn navigation app).

- Set phone to only allows calls from "Family" contact group from 12-7am. Plus auto reject any calls that is in the blacklist. You can set-up multiple schedules (unlike iOS "do not disturb")

- If there is a "meeting" entry in calendar, phone auto change to vibrate mode and only allows "family" and "work" contact group calls during the meeting period. (No need to remember to flip the silent switch on/off like in Iphone).

- Phone conversation recording is auto turned on for calls with a certain prefix. Plus you can play a tune or send a pre-defined message to callers if you didnt pick up the phone.

- Background write entries into a (sub) Google calendar for calls/sms activities (like a diary). Very useful if you have multiple cell lines. No need to move log/sms from one phone to another any more.

- Direct dial/sms with picture icon on desktop or in folder for quick one touch operation. Plus ability to create shortcuts to any files/contents for quick one-touch access.

- Auto send pre-defined sms/email to contacts birthday / anniversary. Auto backup data. Auto check-in to social networks based on location. Auto background upload of photos to ANY social networks (without needing to open the apps manually).

- Location-based (cell tower/gps) automation. e.g. when picking up someone auto-send a reminder sms when you are near predefined pickup point. Or turn on/off phone settings (BT, wifi, sound etc) when you enter/exit a certain predefined location.

- Ability to use "live" wallpaper to beautify your home scree OR ability to auto-change static wallpaper periodically. Plus use transparent icons without labels on desktop screen. Also use gestures for tasks/app launching (e.g. tap or swipe-up for different operations)

- Use widgets to display self-updating current essential info (tw,fb,g+,IMs,stock,weather etc) on the desktop screens. No need for tedious one-by-one opening of apps to view new information like in Iphone.

- Phone will keep the screen on if it detects that you are looking at the screen (Smart Stay).

- Smart Rotation to rotate the screen based on the orientation of your eyes and sensor. Reduces all the unwanted screen rotations.

- Turn the phone over to switch to vibrate mode (or have ring silenced during incoming call). Tilt phone to zoom when in gallery/browser.

- Multi-use LED indicator for events (missed call/sms etc). Also can have repeated sound reminders for missed call/sms/calendar/other events.

- Quickly toogle phone settings from notification area. Easily set alerts to notify of cell duration/data usage.

- True multi-tasking allows for concurrently running "stacked" applications. Use the hard "Back" button to easily navigate back from stacked application windows. (no need to fumble about and wasting time to restart previous app like in Iphone)

- Fully working and always-on Skype, G+, voip... etc (receive as well as make calls). Plus Integration to phone contact to easily initiate call/video-call/message directly from phone contact.

- Soft keyboard with multi-words prediction and easy punctuations (i.e. less typing). Include swype keyboard and T9 keyboard. Also IN-PHONE voice to text module without needing to connect to Internet (jelly bean).

- Easy unlock lockscreen (swipe in any direction - no need to look for unlock switch). Able to use pattern lock or facial unlock. Lock screen includes 5 shortcuts which activate app directly. Ability to add widgets to lockscreen (4.2 above)

- Easily connect portable devices (hard disk, usb-hub, keyboards, game controllers, Bluetooth devices) to phone and use them with the USBToGo/usb-host capability.

- Ability to create unrestricted phone-to-other-devices wireless connection via Wi-Fi Direct and BT.

- Much more functional camera/video taking app (video in video, eraser shot, panorama, multi-shot, best shot, share shot, buddy shot, smile shot, take photo/video in various resolutions, iso selection etc)

- Output phone display to external monitor/TV using cheap and non-proprietary HDMI-out cable. Add a Bluetooth mouse and you can replicate what you can do with Apple TV (at much cheaper price and certainly much more portable)

- Use DLNA to stream media to any DLNA-enabled devices without needing expensive add-on equipments (like apple tv).

- Able to load into phone and play any media files (avi, mkv, divx) directly without tedious conversion. (i.e. transfer files into phone via bt,wifi,cloud etc and play). Unlike Iphone/iOS where you can only load media from one master itunes PC and also wasting time waiting for Itunes to convert these videos.

- Able to play video in popup window (i.e Popup Play). You can continue to watch video while doing other tasks simultaneously.

- Able to expand phone storage to max 96 Gb. Potential can have unlimited in-phone storage by attaching a portable drive using the USBToGo capability.

- Better productivity with much faster scrolling capability than iphone. see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH1GDLunomY

- Removable battery for extended use without needing to carry heavy/bulky external battery packs. Replaceable/removable back cover so you can enjoy and use phone without casing if you want to (without worrying of expensive scratch repairs).

- Able to set a reading font size in browser. When zoomed in, text always appear at this specified font size. Text is also reflow to fit the screen for easy reading without side-scrolling.

- Legacy Flash plugin support to view flash sites (incl. browser embedded you-tube)

- Able to press the home-button to answer call or power button to end call. Plus set speed dial numbers on the Phone dialpad. And predictive contact search via dialpad.

- Able to use motion do to tasks (flip over to silent sound, tilt to zoom, shake to unlock phone, etc)

- Able to SEAMLESSLY replace any stock apps with 3rd party apps to upgrade or improve functionalities. Also, app automatically scale up to match screen size (unlike Iphone 5 which runs older app with letterbox strips)

- Better overall and more functional Google-based services/apps. Ability to search for and install apps using PC browsers. Ability to "side-load" apps without going through online app store. Ability to backup your phone to microSD card.

- Able to selectively add multiple Google accounts to phone. You can also selectively select what data to sync to phone from you google account(s).

Meh, nice to have, but can live without. Most of those get very selective to the point where you're just choosing features Samsung is throwing together. Few of those are daily uses, and even fewer assist in productivity.

Overall user experience tends to be positive with iOS and mixed on Android. That alone sets the two OS apart.

A lot of times Android gets praised for its widgets. And while they are nice, they are often selective and shortcuts from using very well designed apps. As a developer, I've gained an appreciation for iOS, in that apps are much more immersive on this platform. To a developer, that is a very nice thing.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
All apps. actually, in every category. Business, Art, Entertainment, Music, Photography, Video Editing, Education....

Can't say I can recall any key Android apps that aren't on iOS. Can you?

My friend the usual suspects are in both plataforms (the relevant ones) aside for exclusives in both OS apps are the same and the android version have more options/function ex. dropbox.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Meh, nice to have, but can live without. Most of those get very selective to the point where you're just choosing features Samsung is throwing together. Few of those are daily uses, and even fewer assist in productivity.

It is not just Samsung throwing features. Most in the list are the capability of Android itself. If you have a closed mindset that what is offered by iOS/iphone is all that you ever need then you are missing out a lot. Android opens up many more possibilities so that you can do much more stuff with the phone that you never think is possible.

Overall user experience tends to be positive with iOS and mixed on Android. That alone sets the two OS apart.

Only if you are a basic phone user then iphone may be positive. I used Symbian/WM before going to Android. I had an iphone for a while. For me the iphone is the worst experience. Imagine my frustration that I can't bluetooth files or make 3G video call (when even the dumbest of dumb 3G phone can). Or I have to install and learn how to use the p.o.s software called Itunes before I can load stuff into the phone. And to my dismay that if I setup itunes in another PC, then all my stuff in the phone will be wiped out if I connect to that PC. And also the most ridiculous is I load/save files within an application but those files are completely wiped when I uninstall the app.

A lot of times Android gets praised for its widgets. And while they are nice, they are often selective and shortcuts from using very well designed apps. As a developer, I've gained an appreciation for iOS, in that apps are much more immersive on this platform. To a developer, that is a very nice thing.

If you are a developer, then you should know how restrictive the iOS API is. iOS app exists in its own silo. Your app cannot even interact with the OS and other apps or response to system/user events or run as a service/background app. How can you even say iOS app is immersive into the platform?

Last edited:

kdlt

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2013

I was asking for a gamechanger.

Unless you use all of them everyday... This phrase applies to your phone:

"Nice to have... The point?"

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Take the games out of the list then, and we'll see how much shorter it is. ;)

I purposely included mostly games, because it's an artistic, unique product. If I list an app like Pages, you'll just say, Android has something that does the same thing, its called, ect...

But i'll focus more on utility and productivity apps when I do the next revision.

I will say off the top of my head that iTunes U, JamUP, iMovie, and Nano Studio are essential non gaming apps that I missed the most when I switched to Android.

As far as a list of key android apps not available for ios? I'd love to see that.

Anyways, all my points in my original reply still stand.

Android has its share of things it does better. but content is not one of them.

----------

Who tha hell had to wait for "virus scan" on android phones :confused:

I did on my android phones. Granted, the virus scan was very brief. But when it runs so often, its annoying as hell. I'm not sure if it was even possible to remove the virus scanner, regardless, that didnt matter, because if I did remove it, I would always suspect that the issues I was having may have been caused by a bad app or virus, so the virus scan was necessary to have as a troubleshooting step.

Last edited:

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
I purposely included mostly games, because it's an artistic, unique product. If I list an app like Pages, you'll just say, Android has something that does the same thing, its called, ect...

But i'll focus more on utility and productivity apps when I do the next revision.

I will say off the top of my head that iTunes U, JamUP, iMovie, and Nano Studio are essential non gaming apps that I missed the most when I switched to Android.

As far as a list of key android apps not available for ios? I'd love to see that.

----------

I did on my android phones. Granted, the virus scan was very brief. But when it runs so often, its annoying as hell. I'm not sure if it was even possible to remove the virus scanner, regardless, that didnt matter, because if I did remove it, I would always suspect that the issues I was having may have been caused by a bad app or virus, so the virus scan was necessary to have as a troubleshooting step.

Again never heard of the term or even android phone that came pre-installed with an anti-virus.

Anyway itunes u and imovie will never available on other OS, the other 2 i assume are some sort of music/amp apps.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Yes I did jump from my iPhone 4s to the Samsung Galaxy S4. The reason I jumped before I got the phone is because I am sick of iOS being the samee ach year and it doesnt change.

Instantly after getting the S4 I knew I made the right choice, if I do not like something on the phone I can just change it. Coming from iOS widgets are very good and convenient for me, I also like lock screen widgets which are customisable, I also got 50gb of dropbox for free for 2 years and can store 20000 songs in the google cloud.

I would highly recommend changing to android.
First of all good for you in regards to getting the phone you want. If you are happy with that choice then great.

Your opening paragraph does puzzle me though. It sounds to me like you haven't been keeping up with the tech news of late or been reading this forum. We are a month away from what is being tipped as a complete iOS re-design and are yet to see what that brings. You obviously like Apple products as I see what you own from your signature, so why couldn't you wait a few weeks just to see what iOS 7 is all about? I don't think personally I would have jumped before I at least saw what was coming as its a lot of money to lay out if your opinion changes. Then again if you are happy with the S4 it should make little difference and I hope you feel you have made the right choice in the long term. I got fed up with Android and sold my S3 so I suppose I view this from the opposite direction. :)

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

So you consider "iTunes U, JamUP, iMovie, and Nano Studio" key apps? Apps are just apps. What is important to you may not be to someone else. a full-fledge file manager like "ES Explorer" is essential to me. Obviously to someone using Iphone they dont see a need for this since there is no such thing as a user file system in iOS. Same with Call Manager app that filters and manage your call or profile manager to switch phone states automatically or 2-way phone call recording app etc etc.

I bet we can find some equivalent Android apps to those examples you gave for iPhone. But I think you can NEVER find any equivalent in IOS for those I stated.

----------

[/COLOR]

Are you sure you have used virus scanner in Android before? :p
The virus scanner only runs after you update/install an app (i.e. it scans the apk file). It certainly doesnt run all the time.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Android doesn't support icon badges as default and Android's backup by default sucks balls. If you backup and restore an iPhone, everything gets backed up but not on Android. Nothing gets backed up. I've done this before on both the iPhone, iPad, and my Nexus 7. It's a serious pain in the ass.

And honestly, I can't stand Android's notification center. It gets so very cluttered with icons after a bit and you can't set how each app displays notifications like you can on iOS.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I was asking for a gamechanger.

Unless you use all of them everyday... This phrase applies to your phone:

"Nice to have... The point?"

:rolleyes:

Here's your game changer...

BTW, what do you consider a "game changer" on iOS? That's a serious question.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
IMHO, the biggest thing is this. The government doesn't use Android devices because they are not secure enough. They use iphones and whats left of BlackBerries. I work for the government and until they get tighter security on the android platforms they won't use them because people can bypass the security on them easily.

Also the iphone has way more accessories than an Android device can dream about. Also way more support in the aftermarket.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
:rolleyes:

Here's your game changer...

BTW, what do you consider a "game changer" on iOS? That's a serious question.

A larger screen is NOT a functionality of Android. Wow.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
A larger screen is NOT a functionality of Android. Wow.

All of that and that's all you can pick out?

Ok, even if you take the larger screen off the list, you're left with a pretty impressive list of things you CAN do on Android that you CAN'T do on iOS.

And I'll re-ask my question. What do you (any of you) consider a "gamechanger" on iOS?

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Android doesn't support icon badges as default and Android's backup by default sucks balls. If you backup and restore an iPhone, everything gets backed up but not on Android. Nothing gets backed up. I've done this before on both the iPhone, iPad, and my Nexus 7. It's a serious pain in the ass.

And honestly, I can't stand Android's notification center. It gets so very cluttered with icons after a bit and you can't set how each app displays notifications like you can on iOS.

True about the icon badges, but this is an artifact of people that are so used to iOS. With iOS, you NEED icon badges because Apple won't allow status bar icons. On Android, you DON'T NEED icon badges because you're allowed to have status bar icons. Follow?

And if you just can't live without your icon badges, use a different launcher (like Nova Prime) and grab Tesla Unread to manage your badges. Done.

The backup thing just isn't true. The difference is, Apple manages your backups either through iCloud or iTunes. With Android, you have choices of different apps that backup your phone. If you're rooted, Titanium Backup is by far the best option. If you're not, then give Helium a try. You can easily back up your phone to your SD card or PC.

If you're talking about completely backing up your phone, wiping it, and then reinstalling that backup so the phone is exactly the way it was before, you also have great options. Root, install a custom recovery (either CWM or TWRP), boot into recovery, and create a Nandroid backup. Done. Your entire phone's image is now backed up and you can put it away for safe keeping.

And as far as the notifications go, I don't know what you're talking about. If you mean the status bar gets cluttered, it's easy to fix that. First, check your notifications...that will make the status bar icons disappear. Second, you can set most apps to not show a notification icon in the status bar. And if you're talking about apps that constantly show notification icons (something like an ad blocker), you can turn off those icons as well. It will tell you that you should leave it up there so the system doesn't kill the process, but that was really meant for OS's below ICS. Since then, the system won't kill processes like it used to.

This stuff isn't hard. You just have to get out there and read. Hopefully this has helped someone understand things involving Android a bit better.

LArdman

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2013
IMHO, the biggest thing is this. The government doesn't use Android devices because they are not secure enough. They use iphones and whats left of BlackBerries. I work for the government and until they get tighter security on the android platforms they won't use them because people can bypass the security on them easily.

This has changed, the S4 has been approved for Government use, more Samsung phones to follow:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162...sung-galaxy-s4-for-its-networks-company-says/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.