Why I need a new computer (humor)

Discussion in 'Community' started by wrc fan, Oct 18, 2003.

1. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    Man, I keep clicking the wrong icon on the dock and opening the wrong application. I have to wait like 30 secs - 2 minutes to wait for it to open before I can quit it. Sure I try right clicking on the icon and choosing force quit, but then I miss, and it's too late, now all there is to click is quit, which doesn't act until the program is finished loading. I'd say in a day I probably waste 5 minutes sitting around waiting for these applications to launch.

Now why I need a new computer: If I had a G5, all these apps would launch quicker, not to mention the dock wouldn't stutter thus throwing me off in my clicking. I'm certain it would cut down that waiting time to less than 30 seconds. So that's why I need a new computer, not for faster rendering, or more live effects in Logic, but to just cut down on my errant clicking wait time.

Anybody else out there with this issue, or am I the only one?

2. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Drink Pepsi, aim better.
    It will help.

Trust me.

:D

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Waste not want not, the time you loose can never be retrieved. Which G5 model are you most interested. You should also get Panther and add 1G of memory to add to the speed. It should screem!

4. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Keep your Cube alive!!! Just order a processor upgrade - wait a bit, and I'm sure someone will have produced a G5 for the cube. Just soup that bitch up!!!

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I you make the dock as large as possible and use the lowest monitor resolution available, it might be easier to hit the huge icons on the first try! That would be slightly cheaper than buying a new Mac.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Just think of all the fun of buying a new Mac. Isn't there some compatability issues with using 3rd party hardware? The amount of money available would definitely be a factor in any decision.

I think that the Cube would make a great tissue dispensor next to the G5! :p

7. wrc fan thread starter macrumors 65816

wrc fan

You noticed I posted it around 4am my time eh? Some caffeine probably would help.

Well I already have a 120GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache Seagate Baracuda, 1.25GB of CL2 PC100 RAM, and a nVidia GeForce2 MX. I'd love to get a processor upgrade, but I really don't want to put a fan in my Cube.

Hmmm.... that's an idea, except my 20" only goes down to 800x600, still not low enough!

Aaaahhhh! No!!! The Cube will live forever! It will not be a tissue dispensor! :) Even if I could afford a new computer (which I can't), I would not get rid of my Cube.

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i actually have the same problem, tho not as bad as yours-- plus i try to do so many things that it just chokes my 400mhz proc.

unfortunately, looks like i'll be able to afford a new computer about 2008.

but in 2008, i'll have the best damn computer there is :) for about 2 weeks, until it's overshadowed...

pnw

9. Chomolungma macrumors regular

a thing of the past or at the short present

Should launching an application really be a thing of the past?

With Expose in Panther and ~2 GB of memory, why do we need to quit and launch applications? All the applications that we use daily (i say nor more than 10) should be on all the time!

:mad:

10. wrc fan thread starter macrumors 65816

wrc fan

Re: a thing of the past or at the short present

The problem with that, is that applications still use processing power and some are memory hogs, which slows down your computer unless you quit them. Plus old habits (remember having to set individual application memory settings in Mac OS 9), die hard.

11. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Re: Why I need a new computer (humor)

If you use the "option" key you can still force quit.

12. Chomolungma macrumors regular

False advertising

I just visited the Apple Online store to view the RAM requirement of Panther. They say the we need 128 MB of physical RAM. They did not mention that this is the mininum requirement. This type of practice has gone on for too long, and this feeds into the idea that they can sell entry level computer with say 128 or 256. Well, they are doing it with the iMac and iBook! It is now a common practice to buy extra memory for your brand new computer to work. Ans as you know Apple charges an arm and a leg for memory! So now we have to find a third party vender for memory, so we can save money. Bastard! Apple claim to have a better plateform and computer, but they are more than happy to sell us an iBook or an imac with ONLY 128 MB of Ram. I bet you the switchers love to see that spinning beach ball every time they want to do something with their mac!
    :mad:

BTW, I still uses OS 9.1 at work, and allocating memory for each application is done.