Why I will be switching back (to PC)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iact101, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iact101 macrumors newbie

I can't say I have had a single postive experince with Apple.

Where to begin and keep it short enough to be interesting.

1 faulty ipod mini, (this happens) but then told by customer service to go to a service center an hour out of my way for them to check / fix it. Get there they dont even look at it and say we believe you send it back to apple.
    Big waste of my time. And poor customer service.

2. Tried to buy apple powerbook, told 1 week lead time, after two months still no computer. This seems to be normal in the apple world. At two month mark told that they couldn't promise that the computer wouldnt be faulty due to the battery issue they was having. $4000 AUD computer this isnt good enough.

3. Cancelled order to buy iMac instead as semi portable, least enough for me.
    told one month lead time, this time a different dealer as well. Two months, told we have no idea when. At this stage I needed a computer as more then four months without one. And Uni was coming and I wanted enough time to get use to the apple interface before I started my course.

4. Cancelled order as no eta on Imac and basicly say what do you have. Get G5 single pro comp and upgrade it with ram and airport card. Works great for a couple of months. Then the problems really begin.

Put it in for repairs as it has a motherboard (logic Board in apple speak) problem, it is failing to mount the drives and anything in usb and firewire ports etc. Simple problem, simple to fix so i thought.

2 months later still fighting with apple australia and apple center, apple center cant repair it as apple wont give them the part, Apple australia says I cant send the part as they wont tell me which part. Basicly from what i can tell they are both half telling the truth and both half lieing to make up for there mistakes. Either way I am without a computer for 2 months now.

I still have no computer and no eta on when it might be fixed and this is after a lot of phone calls and promises they would call me back, which they havent, not even once.

If this is standard apple practice its no wonder they only have 3% of the market share, cause only about 3% of the market have enough Patience to deal , wait and take this sort of well rubbish service.

Great OS heaps better then windows but the service and faulty products dont add up when you need a computer that works so you can simple do your work.

Even worse deal for them as well as I am in IT and I have to say I will be advising my clients not to touch an apple cause at the end of the day if this was a PC I could simple go down the road and buy a new motherboard and put it in and be working again the same day, not two months and still waiting.

UPDATE: After contacting consumer affairs here in oz and waiting another two odd weeks consumer affairs contacted Apple Australia and what do you know the very next day I had my mac back and fixed. So thank you for the person in here that suggested that, it turned out to be a great help. So gald to have my mac back but shame on Apple Australia for such poor service, took Consumer affairs to get them to fix and return my computer

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

In the last 5 years, I have ordered 6 Macs for work, 1 for myself and 2 for friends with not a single problem.

You've been unlucky. Don't take an unrepresentative sample and extrapolate it out to the entire Apple experience.

Good luck with XP.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

You registered just to share this story...

I smell a:
    [​IMG]

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

5. iact101 thread starter macrumors newbie

How would you know??? you havent had any problems with your Macs

And whom said I would go with XP

My problem is consistently poor service from Apple australia over a period of a year now.

And if a custom part breaks on it eg a motherboard you are at there mercy. And with Apple Australia's Service all I can say is good luck

6. iact101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats so funny Lacero,

I have a Uni Proff whom has this whole theory on that.

Maybe I do.

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

This is unrepresenative of my experience, Apple have always been very good to me, even though my iPod took a week longer to get here, that was TNT's fault, not Apples.

I hear Aston Martin have crap customer service too, but I wouldn't go back to a Ford Focus because of it...

Your choice mate, but going back to an inferior OS and ugly hardware is going to suck.

8. iact101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually Sony Laptops are very good.
    And with Linux on it, should be good.

Maybe Apple London are great but this is Apple Australia I am talking about.

And the car things, how would you be if you put your car in for service and two months later you was still catching the train cause they wouldn't get back to you Of course they dont actually ever get back to you. And all the while having the parts in stock and still have your Thousand $$$ investment.

Not very happy with the customer service I would expect and not feeling too much love for the product.

9. JRM PowerPod macrumors 6502

(why i don't believe you)

BTW I'm an Aussie as well. I was thinking, bad luck about the iPod coz i've had 4 without a problem, except maybe a battery problem with my mini....
    When I heard 2 months for a PB I laughed. Coz although there are longer lead times in Australia, i've ordered my PB's on Tuesday's and have arrived on Thurdays. 2 DAYS > 2 MONTHS. The only BTO that would cause this would be ordering a 3GHZ G5 to go in the PB. LOL

10. JRM PowerPod macrumors 6502

I sell Sony Laptops, and the cheaper ones have heaps of problems. The $au4500 ones are decent but aren't worth the price

11. iact101 thread starter macrumors newbie

well thats ok that you dont believe me.

if you want to talk to ***** at apple australia my current service rep or the apple center at ******** in the south of sydney i will give you there numbers and my refernece numbers and you can call them and ask them for yourself.

Wow does any actually read the posts in here.

Seriously I love OSX and still do I think its great, its why I bought a mac after all. But i need a working computer and there CUSTOMER SERVICE people seem unable to give / supply me one for whatever reason

And why does everyone seem to think a switch to pc is a switch to MS I bought a mac cause of its UNIX core. Seriously the PC / Mac war ended years ago, Move on.

I will admit what i wrote was a bit of a rant but i needed to vent after two months of crap and some seriously taxing phone calls today to apple. I now see that was a mistake to do that here, as I was hoping for some support or advice but it seems most seem to think I am fighting some sort of pc war, or faking a post or some other agender, seriously at the end of the day PC / Mac / Sun whatever its just a computer and it serves a job.

If it doesnt work it is useless, regardless how great the design is or operating system or whatever. Given the levels of most of the normal posts in here as I am a regular reader I would have expected more then the replies I have gotten in here.

12. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Sony makes good kit generally, but the PC boys at the Uni use Vaio's and they hate them, they all want PowerBooks... :D

It's really Windows I object to, Linix is OK, but it's just not a patch on OSX.

I'd rather ride the train than drive a Focus... ;)

Besides, Aston give you a courtesy car on service intervals, and very nice they are too, mainly Marcs or big SAABs.

The product is good generally from Apple, but Australia is known for being "relaxed" about customer service isn't it? :) I swear the waiters were using a random number generator last time I was in Sydney.

13. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Off-topic alert!

Why do most IT people tend to have atrocious spelling, punctuation, and grammar? Not trying to pick on this one person, but I have observed this phenomenon over and over again. It's quite amazing for a job that should require effective communication.

14. rowanhall macrumors member

obviously not a professor of english... :p

15. iact101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol yeh i think some waiters do..lol.
    I wish they would give me a stand in computer, that would help a great deal.
    Although I would at least like an eta on the repair that is really a 30 min job at the most. And its not like 1.8 G5s are hard to come by. They say 1 -2 days to deliever them ????
    I am just blowing off steam, i do really want to stay with macs cause i love osx but feel like I have no choice anymore.

16. iact101 thread starter macrumors newbie

cause we are all to lazy and use spell checkers way to much..... least i do. I don't care I know I am a shocker.....lol

17. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

iact101
    Well after reading this post I first thought you went to some store and not an Apple store but just wondered why you didn't just order it right from Apple's 800 # if they have one in Australia :rolleyes: or even try the Uni?

18. iGary Guest

iGary

I have 3 macs, owned 5 total, and purchased 4 for our office.

Not ONE problem with any of them.

The only thing I have ever had to return to Apple is a pair of headphones.

Problems do occur, but they are certainly not representative of the "Apple experience."

Sorry you had problems. More room in the sandbox for us.

19. michaelwarren89 macrumors newbie

Well I for one am generally sorry for your troubles, truthfully. It really is unfortunate that you have had so many problems. Some people just seem to have a kind of 'bad karma' where everything goes wrong. In Australia, many people have trouble getting proucts from Apple, because it seems they just really don't like sending stuff here :rolleyes: . A friend of mine ordered a powerbook 3 months ago and actually got it 2 days before Tiger was announced, April 10th. He wasn't very happy. While I and he have had absolutely no problems with the hardware so I can't really comment, I only expect getting the proper parts shipped is even harder. It's a problem that Apple Australia should really solve, and I won't defend their bad service in any way.
    The best thing you can do now is go back to wherever you requested the service and start kicking up a stink. While it may not particularly be their fault and it's not the most pleasant thing to do, it has a strange way of getting things done.

Mac's are really wonderful things when you get them, and when they work. Persevere. Good luck.

20. iact101 thread starter macrumors newbie

The G5 came from their online store.
    This has actually been the cause of alot of my problems.

Re-seller whom seem to do the repairs out here say its apple australia's fault.
    Apple australia says its re-sellers fault

And I am in the middle with no mac :(

21. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Well, you certainly do have reason to be upset, and I'm glad that my experience with Apple has been quite the opposite.

Aren't there any laws protecting the rights of the consumer in Australia, and some kind of public consumer help office that you can go to for help in situations like this?

If there's no public service, you could try the press, local or technical press. They might be interested in hearing your story or even go with you and ask how it is possible that neither Apple Australia nor the Apple Center are responsible and how it is possible for a consumer to go several months waiting for a computer that is covered by warranty to be fixed.

22. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

Stuff happens, get over it and move on with your life.

23. iact101 thread starter macrumors newbie

i would if i had a computer to move on with

24. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I hate Apple Australia. I'm pretty sure they're all actually the spawn of Satan which is really disappointing if ever you go for them to get good service. My advice, having been in reasonably similar situations (albeit, not nearly as extreme) is to wait it out, give them another chance because once you get your hands on your machine, everything will suddenly look rosy and the sun will come out and everyone will be happy and forgiving again.

But you've got my full sympathy for being angry with Apple Australia. :mad:

^I gave you a mad smiley so you can see I'm unhappy with them too. ;)

25. iact101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks dude,
    yeh I hate kicking up a stink and even more so cause i kinda feel its not the re-sellers fault as they do want to fix it, they just need the part to do it.

I guess by me posting this I am hoping that maybe someone from apple australia will see this and go "hey, we better fix this"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.