Why I won't be trading my PowerBook for a new iMac G5

Discussion in 'Community' started by stoid, Aug 31, 2004.

1. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    When I saw the new G5 iMac this morning, I thought that it was one of the most elegant computers I'd seen in awhile. I've found that I'm not carrying my laptop to classes as much as I thought I would, so I considered trading up by selling my now year old PowerBook (announced last Paris Expo). However, tonight, after a long day of classes on campus and work back in my apartment, I brought my laptop out to my second floor deck here in small town Missouri. I can see the whole campus, and feel the night air, and when I realize that I couldn't do this with an iMac, I know I've got what I want. Now, if only I was 21 and could go get a beer to bring out here, it would be heaven! Well, I know a guy who knows a guy that can get me some tomorrow....

I guess there isn't any really point to the thread, but I just wanted to share my experience. :eek:
  2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    I totally agree. I admit, I have some iMac lust too. $1200 (with edu. discount) seems like a great price. I could easily sell my PB and buy one. And while most of my computing is done at my desk, there are those times where I want to be mobile. I like browsing from my bed sometimes. I like going to the kitchen and cooking something while I surf or chat with friends. As nice as the iMac G5 is, once you've gone mobile, I don't see how you can go back.
  3. G5orbust macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002
    Thats 1200$ price tag is a SWEET deal, but, like you two, I would certainly never sell my powerbook for one of those. Having the ability to roam around at leisure while still maintaining fucntionality just cannot be beat, even with an all in one as well designed (and as wireless) as the imac G5.
  4. manosira macrumors member

Jun 22, 2004
    SOMA - S.F. - Cali
    Yeah I love the mobility of my Powerbook. My apartment doesn't have AC, so I seem to be spending most of my summer days at Starbucks, connected on the T-Mobile HotSpot network there, drinking my Frap, and chillen in the nice cool air. And when winter comes around and my apartment doesn't have heat, I can always count on the heat from my PB to warm me up. PB, perfect for all places and all seasons. :)
  5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I wouldn't get an iMac for myself because I really don't see the point of getting a desktop anymore. Its not just that I need the portability (although I do quite often), but if later in my life I were to discover that I was going to do 99.3% of all my computing tasks at my desk, I'd still get a laptop because at least it gives me the option of bringing my computer with me once a year.
    Apple laptop or desktop.....similar price. Why get the desktop at all unless you needed the power? My next computer will be a laptop whether I need portability or not because power isn't a big deal to me.
  6. davecuse macrumors 6502

Feb 20, 2004
    I'm using a 17" G4 Powerbook at the moment, it's a great piece of hardware, but I'm not sure if it really fits my needs. The huge screen is gorgeous, but it makes for a not-so-mobile computer. This new iMac is really beginning to tempt me, I might be forced to clean house on eBay and start fresh. Ideally I want to get a 20" iMac and 12" PowerBook or even iBook. That would be pretty sweet.
  7. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

May 10, 2004
    I Come From A Land Down Under
    I am using my first Apple laptop, and now that I have this, i think the only time i get a desktop is if there is a desktop that will allow me to do A MASSIVE amount more than my PowerBook, for a similar price, so it looks like a PowerBook for a while yet. I love my PowerBook. Now that I have a WiFi network set up at home, I can be out in the garden or in the lounge room, or even in bed internetting or just iMovieing. A desktop now is just a server for my PowerBook, but my Wife uses the PM frequently, as I am glued to my mobile PM.
  8. yippy macrumors 68020

Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I love power and expandebility. BUt in all honesty (although I hate to admit it) i don't NEED that much power, I just like to have it. And now that I have my powerbook, being tied to a desk will be hard to go back to. So I will probably never buy another desktop unless I have enough money to spare to have both a desktop and a laptop, but even then I don't know.
  9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    I like my iBook G4 a lot and even though I rarely take it anywhere it's nice to have just in case... especially when people have broken their computers and I need to bring my Mac to help fix their machine... however I think I'm gonna get me an iMac G5 on top of that just to do video editing and such. I don't anticipate I'll need to do a lot of that outside of my place... plus Motion needs a better vid card... time to order the production suite... *sigh*... (but it's on EDU discount so I can handle it)