Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
iOS hadn't evolved much in 5 years.

Android in 2007:

DSC01194.jpg

Android in 2012:

nexus4-1.jpg

iOS in 2007 to 2012:

iphone1vs5.jpg

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
So basically iOS was already great from the beginning in 2007 and through most of 2013, while it took all that time for Android to get to that point? ;)

No, iOS was great in 2007, while Android caught up. Thats the thing though, Android caught up while iOS stayed the same.

Socrates had a quote that fits here. It went something like this, "There's no shame in being poor. There's only shame in not improving yourself."

Yes, Android was bad. But that is the past.

I'm assuming this is the part where you think that just because I say something positive about Android, that I clearly hate Apple/iOS. Even though that isn't slightly true.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No, iOS was great in 2007, while Android caught up. Thats the thing though, Android caught up while iOS stayed the same.

Socrates had a quote that fits here. It went something like this, "There's no shame in being poor. There's only shame in not improving yourself."

Yes, Android was bad. But that is the past.

I'm assuming this is the part where you think that just because I say something positive about Android, that I clearly hate Apple/iOS. Even though that isn't slightly true.
Android caught up, but iOS didn't have anything to catch up to. ;)

That aside, sure, a some sort of a refresh or even a redesign was needed, I think a lot of people are saying that it just shouldn't have been this particular design.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Android caught up, but iOS didn't have anything to catch up to. ;)

That aside, sure, a some sort of a refresh or even a redesign was needed, I think a lot of people are saying that it just shouldn't have been this particular design.

Yes, they had nothing to catch up to. Especially iOS 5's notification center. That was totally not catching up to anything. Control Center isn't either, nor the dynamic wallpapers.

Sarcasm aside, it isn't about just catching up. It's about not resting on your laurels while you're at the top.

BlackBerry did that, look at them now.

I'm not bashing iOS 7 by the way. There's a few things I dislike about it, but overall it's a definite step in the right direction. Now if Apple would just open up some more APIs.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Not sure what OSs you've been using. As far as I'm aware, iOS has been taking Android features since iOS 5.

Exactly. I'm not against it either. When companies take idea's from each other, it makes everyones product better, and in turn the consumer (us) wins.

Even Steve Jobs who is worshipped around here said, "Good artists copy, great artists steal."

Many people are blind to the Android features that iOS has been adding.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Rolex Submariner ca. 1968

Rolex Submariner ca. 2013

Apple is (was) not the first company wise enough to leave well enough alone.

You're relating fashion to technology. I can say a Big Mac looks the same as 10 years ago. That's true. Compare an average TV in 2013 to an average TV in 1968.

You've somehow been missing the clearly everpresent winking smileys, right?

The winking smiley would assume I was joking. A laughing emoticon would be more accurate.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You're relating fashion to technology. I can say a Big Mac looks the same as 10 years ago. That's true. Compare an average TV in 2013 to an average TV in 1968.

The winking smiley would assume I was joking. A laughing emoticon would be more accurate.
It would assume that the statements I was making were of joking nature (given that the winking smileys were added at the end of those statements).

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I was sooo happy for the redesign.

It was overdue. We've essentially had the same software since the first iPhone.

Change is hard, especially after so many years. People will get over it.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
It would assume that the statements I was making were of joking nature (given that the winking smileys were added at the end of those statements).

Two people misunderstood. But never mind, I don't care. Sometimes I read posts in a hurry. :)

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Even Steve Jobs who is worshipped around here said, "Good artists copy, great artists steal."

He was quoting Picasso and describing the process of learning and applying artistic techniques to the creation of new and improved technology:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU

Not reproducing existing technology and charging less because someone already covered the development costs.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States

Darn you... Now I want a Big Mac :(

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I still prefer the iOS 6 look. I always will. I do like the features 7 introduced, but I hope they bring back the look of 6 somehow. Or at least in iOS 9 include a classic theme.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.