WHY is 15"PB still Titanium?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by toughboy, Jun 2, 2003.

1. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

WHY?! why is this machine still titanium? why do they insist on this when aluBooks are quiet tough and cool and does not get scratch easily???
    WHY?? :(

2. WilliamGates macrumors member

Because Apple marketing is not simple minded enough to cater to the publics insatiable desire before all the 15" Titanium Powerbooks are sold out. They might as well start throwing barrels of money from the windows of their building or go into a business of building screen doors on submarines.:p

3. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Plus it's the only current powerbook that will boot OS 9.

4. szark macrumors 68030

szark

I'm sure they also don't want to upgrade the 15" to be faster than the 17".

I'm sure they will upgrade all of the PB models at the same time.

5. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

Because the TiBook is the best looking PowerBook. You can't make a machine like that put of aluminum thats as thin as it is on the other PB's. The TiBook is the cornerstone of Apple Industial Design, with its clean lines and sharp corners. The new AlBooks are all rounded off and have crease lines everywhere on the sides. The TiBook flows.

I wish they could keep it looking the same, but I know that it won't. :(

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

There's no reason why they can't keep it looking the same. The Aluminum Alloy they are using in the new cases is actually stiffer then Titanium. The problem with titanium is that it's flexible. That's where it gets it's strength from. It's like spring steel on roids. Aluminum on the other hand is like Magnesium in that it's light and strong but brittle. For a Laptop though the brittle part really doesn't matter it just needs to be stiff so the screen and case doesn't flex and for that a good alloy of Aluminum or Magnesium works best.

7. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

But if it's more brittle, then if it were to be dented, it would sustain more damage. The machine would be much more suseptible (another spelling err.) to being dropped, having things dropped on it, etc.

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

No not really. It won't dent. Also It should take quite a shock to crack it. Say a 4 foot drop or greater right onto one corner with it open. The Aluminum that they are using is quite strong. It's better the case take the punishment or break then have a case that cracks the motherboard or screen when dropped because it flexes. If you want to see the difference go to any store with the titanium and aluminum laptops and grab the screen and gently flex it. You will see that the new aluminum cases are much stiffer.

9. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

It's still Titanium because of the simple fact that they still have a lot of TiBook parts and cases still floating around the factories. All computer companies (including Apple) base much of their releases, updates, and product lines on the simple idea of what parts they have available and when. Just look at the 12" PowerBook for an obvious example. It's using the 867 G4 which was produced in bulk for the 15" TiBook which they are in the process of removing from the line. it also shares components of the 12" iBook including obvious ones like the screen and ports. Infact, all the machines share some common parts across the whole line. And look at the 17" PowerBook, it's using the same EXACT LCD as the iMac. When they run out of (or close enough) of the Titanium enlosures and TiBook-specific parts then they will release the 15" which will share common components with the 17" and 12". It's all about parts. How much life can they squeeze out of their investments? How can they buy and build in bulk and find use for the parts across the whole line? That's how they operate, think and make their money. There's no conspiracy or alterior motive. It's all about parts. The 15" Alluminum will be here soon.

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I think we all realize that. I know I do. It's just as with anything we are tired of waiting.

11. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

oh, i thought the dude was actually asking a real question. in that case, i don't know! we're all waiting dammit:mad:

12. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: WHY is 15"PB still Titanium?

cool? go check out a 12'' pb, little thing is hotter then a saute pan. Plus, the titanium looks awesome, I have seen the 17''pb, and that thing would look great in titanium, however I just don't like the alubook style. just my 2.5 cents.

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: WHY is 15"PB still Titanium?

Just wait until you see it in Anodized black, blue, green, what have you. I'm not saying they will but it is very likely as the Aluminum case they are using now is anodized unlike the painted Titanium models.

14. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i haven't even seen the new Aluminium models yet, but from the pics i've seen i have decided that i liked my TiBook heaps better. i don't really like the more rounded look of the AlBooks, i think the smaller diameter curves suited the PowerBooks much more, now the PB's are looking like iBooks in Aluminium. the titaniums look awesome, but i guess we'll just have to get used to the new models.

also, are the Al models unpainted? is that color the unpainted aluminium?

15. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

i thought the same until i actually saw it in person and held it. then i bought one! i like it much better than my TiBook. and although the edges are more round they are still rather low-profile when compared to the iBooks. the lids are actually not much thicker than the Ti. and yeah, it's unpainted Aluminum. and they look and feel awesome in person.

16. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i guess i'll have to go and have a look at them then. should've done that a long time ago!:D

i just hope the new 15" are as likeable as the TiBooks.

17. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

Re: Re: WHY is 15"PB still Titanium?

I'm with you man! I don't like the shiny alu looks and the silver keyboard... uugghh, but the backlight is cool. I hope oneday someone makes a kit to retrofit the tiBooks... (haha, unlikely ;) )

IMHO the tiBooks are the best looking computers ever made (next to the original Macintosh and the cube, of course...)

vSpacken

18. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: Re: Re: WHY is 15"PB still Titanium?

finally....someone who agrees with me :p

19. the future macrumors 6502a

Strangely enough in a recent "Best Computer Ever Made By Apple" thread I have been the only person (or so I remember) to name the TiBook...

Anyways, good to be not alone!

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I still think my TiBook looks better, but the new AlBooks feel better IMHO. Although I have heard of issues with people not being able to keep the screen up at >45 degree angles. The new keyboard is far and away better then the thin removeable one on my TiBook. Although I do like being able to lift it off and show people the guts of my computer. Kinda like lifting the hood on your Corvette and revving the engine.:D

21. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

anodized aluminum

If anyone is really hoping for an anodized aluminum pbook, i hate to burst your bubble but I don't know if that could be done. My understanding of anodized aluminum (and this comes from having a few plugs and other such earring type things made out of it) is that it gets its color from electrical currents. Thus, when I bought a really cool rainbow one and never removed from my ear for almost a year, it slowly faded to more of a tie-dye color than bright ones. It was explained to me that electrical currents in the human body over time would cause differentiation in the anodized aluminum, causing it to fade. If thats true, imagine how much color change would occur in a laptop...it would require isolating a great deal of the casing from any electrical energy...if I am wrong, someone tell me....but thats why i think you'd never see an anodized aluminum color pb.
    --carly

22. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

that's because I said that it was the best LOOKING one, not the best one EVER MADE...

:)

vSpacken

23. dilg macrumors newbie

Re: anodized aluminum

I'll have to second guess the quality of the ano work you paid for, because this has not been my experience with anodized aluminum.

Anodizing uses electrical current to create a porous surface on the aluminum. The part is then suspended in a vat of warm water dyed with fabric dye - Rit is a common brand. The colored dye seeps into the porous surface of the metal. After a sufficient coloring bath, the piece is then dropped in boiling water to seal the dye into the surface of the metal. The desired color is created strictly by the choice of fabric dye, not the electrical current.

I have had several high-dollar paintball guns anodized this way and they have yet to fade in color in the past 4-5 years. Anodizing actually creates a more durable surface on the aluminum. That's why many industrial parts are anodized from the factory - their cool colors are only an afterthought to distinguish the product line. There is one downside to post-production anodizing however. The initial sulfuric acid bath and electrical current treatment actually reduces the dimensions of the metal ever so slightly. If not done properly, you may find that the tight tolerances of your PowerBook are no longer there. It takes more than a shade tree anodizer to deliver good results.

I forgot to mention, one of my paintguns uses a battery and strong solenoid to cycle its action. From experience, you won't have to worry about the electrical currents of the powerbook damaging the color of your anodized shell.

24. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: anodized aluminum

Anodizing is a kind of electro-plating. Simply put you put two electrodes in a bucket of solution and ground the device you want to plate and then let the device sit in the solution for a certain lenth of time. So yes the salt and electiricity in your body over time could reverse this to a certain point. Though it requires electricity to actually be flowing through the metal to deplate it. As far as I know Apple doesn't have any shorts in there wiring and even probaby grounds their cases to prevent a static charge build up so no it wouldn't cause a problem. Also from what I have read I believe the Alu books are not bare metal but Anodized that color. Bare aluminum often has inconsistencies in texture and color and that is why even on high end race bikes they often paint it with an Aluminum color to give it an overall consistency to it's color and texture.

25. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

Interesting. Thanks for the info.