Why is Apple changing the direction of Iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadget123, Jan 8, 2013.

1. macrumors 68000

Apr 17, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Adding multiple colours and larger screens as rumoured. What happened to innovation?

Are Apple right to now? Is it really industry fact Apple has fallen behind and now has to play catch up?

How come in 2007 they never released a better mega pixel in the Iphone 3G at the height of the camera phone market battle?
  2. macrumors 6502a

Aug 11, 2012
    Dubai, UAE
    I'd start a thread like this if i could omit the bold word from your quote.
  3. Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    At this point you're jumping to conclusions. The colors are just a rumor, we have no idea what other changes may be in store with the next generation iPhone.

Apple's M.O. has always been small incremental changes however so I wouldn't be surprised if we'd not see too much but because of the competition, I'm hoping that won't be the case this time.
  4. macrumors 68020

Sep 25, 2012
    Oh RLY? Did Apple tell you this themselves? Or do you believe every little rumor on the Interwebs?
  5. macrumors regular

May 14, 2012
    I dont think Apple would make this kind of change not on the base model like 6 . At 5S there wont be a huge difference but on the 6 we can see those changes I believe.
  6. macrumors 603

Jun 30, 2008
    For comparison sake..
    Wii - 97 million sold
    XBOX 360 - 70 million sold
    PS3 - 70 million sold

Arguably the most underpowered and gimmicky console of "last" gen destroyed both of it's competitors, one of which had been on the market for a year prior to its release. You don't need to make "new" "breakthrough" devices, you need to make devices people want to buy, which Apple is pretty much unparallelled in.
  7. macrumors 68000

Mar 17, 2010
    Planet Earth
    Well... I agree with you about Apple, but your console comparison isn't really a good argument.

At first, Nintendo sold more Wii's because of the gimmick and it attracted people who normally wouldn't play video games. Later on it sold well because you can set it up to pirate games after about 5 minutes of applying software hacks.
  8. macrumors 6502

Jul 6, 2009
    I would have to think that attributed to a VERY small percentage of units sold. 1% maybe? 5% at most? Even at 20% that would still leave it in the lead.
  9. macrumors 68040

Sep 24, 2010

I wouldn't get the same functionality from a droid phone than I would with an iPhone with my home set up.

Try and look at the bigger picture like Apple have.
  10. macrumors 6502

Jul 10, 2010
    Apple does need to catch up a bit but not much. They are selling like hotcakes so obviously they are doing something right
  11. macrumors G4

Jun 12, 2012
    1% would even be a massive over-statement
  12. gadget123, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2013

thread starter macrumors 68000

Apr 17, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Did 90% of Mac Rumours IOS claims not come true last year?

4" Iphone
    Two Ipads in a year
    Slate black and longer Iphone
    Multiple colour Ipod touches

and the list goes on.

Ipods now have colours so what makes anybody think Iphone and Ipad don't go down the same line? I reckon it will happen. :rolleyes:
  13. macrumors 65816

Mar 20, 2011
    No not 90%, there were lots of rumours that didn't come true.
  14. macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2009
    Tulsa, OK

iPods themselves have been color for quite some time now. It's just that the iPod touch finally got color, and rightly so as it should follow along with its product line. You don't see business people toting around a colorful iPod touch for work do you? I still think they won't do colors because the iPhone is meant to be a tool to get things done. The iPod, while still capable, is more meant for entertainment purposes.
  15. macrumors P6

Aug 17, 2007
    Aren't you just the little prophet of doom?:p

iPods and iPhones are 2 very different products, and as such, just because Apple makes certain decisions concerning the iPod doesn't mean they will do the same with the iPhone and iPad.
  16. macrumors 603

Jun 30, 2008
    I'm not sure I agree that people purchased the Wii for the sole intention of hacking it (the same could be said about the XBOX, or the iPhone once the JB became available). Just like the members on MacRumors don't represent the larger iPhone owning public, hackers don't represent the majority of console owners.
  17. macrumors 601

Aug 27, 2012

Because they got NEW management?

What's wrong with color? I kinda loved the candied iMacs of the late 90's.

U want a better camera, the other fellah want 4-cores, many seem to cry out for a bigger display. Well, u just have to be patience because Apple is not calling you in for a focus group.
  18. macrumors 65816

Dec 20, 2011
    This. Only a desperate company would make radical changes to appease the 1% (or less) of fanboys who think Apple isn't "innovative" enough.

The rest of the world happily plunked down their $$$ for the privelege of waiting for WEEKS, all for a device that these same fanboys claimed was just a bigger 4S.

Just because it doesn't shoot laser beams doesn't mean it isn't a perfectly good BUSINESS decision (which is what Apple is).
  19. macrumors 6502

Oct 31, 2012
    the new snapdragon processors coming out and tegra 4 was released makes me worry about how apple chips can keep up ;/ i feel like androids are going to be able to do what budget laptops can soon lol i dont care about how "laggy" you think the android OS is because you used gingerbread who knows how long ago but recently,

my ihpone 5 crashes words with friends, facebook, even stock photo viewer and the reason you dont know it does is because it wont give you a reaon like android does. you dont have to click anything your jsut exited back out to the home screen. if android did that a lot of people woudlnt care about how buggy it is. but thats not cool i want to know the error report
  20. macrumors regular

Oct 30, 2012
    The new ipod touch is ugly as sin. Probably the ugliest device apple ever created.
  21. macrumors 6502

Jul 28, 2011
    I don't know about snapdragon but the Tegra 4 isn't going to be a big threat. Because it's a normal evolution so obviously it will be slightly faster. But you have to keep in mind that Android devices generally need more raw power for the same amount of performance as iOS devices, so yea slightly faster processors won't really change things much.
  22. macrumors 68030

Nov 10, 2010
    Here we go. :rolleyes:
  23. macrumors newbie

Jul 20, 2012
    Where are you getting those figures from?

As they're wrong.
  24. macrumors 601

Feb 9, 2011
    No, it's a popular discussion forum topic that the armchair analysts love to stir up time and time again. This criticism comes up for every company out there. It's just a variation of the whole greener grass thing.

Why does that matter? MP is just MP. How is it relevant to their current direction?
  25. macrumors 603

Jun 30, 2008
    Well its a none academic paper, so I'm using Wikipedia, you have better ones or just want to say it's wrong?