Why is Apple so skimpy with the iPod now?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Cfg5, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Cfg5 macrumors regular

Why do the full-size iPods only come with a usb cable, belt clip, and headphones now? If you look at the regular iPods in the refurbished store, they come with a firewire cable, dock, and ac adapter.

I know price is probably an issue but why did they start to do it in the past year?

edit: i see they come with an ac adapter still, but why the move to more usb and why no dock?

2. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

It has to be price. Not only does it keep price down the consumer (although not really as much as it did before) but it keeps profit up for Apple. By including less items Apple will make more on every iPod as well as the extras that they sell separately.

3. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

The number of iPod buyers who have firewire is getting smaller as the market is dominated by more PC users. It was frugal of Apple to go with one cable, but it'd be nice it they gave you a choice, or if they'd reduce the price of the cable a little.
    I think I know more people who are buying iPods as upgrades than people buying one for the first time. These folks likely have docks and/or chargers already. I can see why Apple chose to drop them. Helped them lower the price while maintaining profits. Again, it'd be nice if they weren't priced so high, just for the people who want/need them.

4. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Yeah this is sheet. I gotta agree with this one.

5. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

A point I forgot to bring up. There are so many PC uses out there that it didn't really make much sense for Apple to bundle both cords since not everyone will be using Firewire. I also agree that you should just be able to trade a USB cable for a Firewire one.

6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Agreed on both. Also, given the number of third-party accessories, it's not so terrible to have a lower price (than otherwise would) and have something left for that.

I have a 3G ipod. Haven't used the included belt-clip case in 2 years. Bought a better one. I'd happily take a $5 discount not to have gotten that.

7. Cfg5 thread starter macrumors regular

I understand the whole usb 2 thing with the amount of pc users. I find it funny though because most macs didn't get usb 2 until 2004/late 2003.

8. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Just an example of a big company having no respect for the loyal customers that made their core business successful (i.e. us Mac buyers). That's business though unfortunately and the mighty dollar rules I guess.

I was pretty pissed off when I brought an iPod Mini for my fiance for her to use on our G4 iMac only to have to shell out another £15 for a firewire cable. I thought Apple was all about integration hmmmm.... :rolleyes:

9. bartelby macrumors Core

Belt clip?
    This is what the UK Store says:

"Includes
    Apple Earphones
    AC Adapter
    USB 2.0 cable"

10. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

It's all about profit. Apple knows that their loyal mac customers who want or need Firewire will gladly give them another $20 for a Firewire cable, so they stopped putting it in the box. Simple as that.

The problem I have with it is, the Firewire cable is not available at most of the stores that sell iPods (Target, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc). Last time I was in the Apple retail store, they didn't even have the cable. :rolleyes:

11. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

It's funny that Apple loves USB 2.0 so much now, but refused to support it until the end of 2003. Heh. Arrogance.

12. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Does the 5G even support Firewire. The nano doesn't, so why assume the 5G would. I hope it does, because otherwise I will not be buying one, or any future model for a long time.

tEG

13. Quartz Extreme macrumors regular

Quartz Extreme

The nano probably didn't have FW support due to size.

14. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

How does size figure into the firmware not supporting firewire for anything but charging?? It is still the same data, coming over the same cable, going to the same dock connector.

So, Does the 5G support Firewire?

TEG

15. Quartz Extreme macrumors regular

Quartz Extreme

It isn't something set in the firmware, its a lack of Firewire controller chip on the iPod altogether. It still uses the 8-30v (12v nominal) power provided by two pins in the six pin firewire connector for charging.

It uses different wire leads within the dock connector.

http://pinouts.ru/data/ipod_pinout.shtml

16. Tuned MP5T macrumors regular

What sucks for me is that I have Mac mini and I use the fireware cable. But now that I have Nano, I can't use firewire cable anymore, just the USB cable. :(

17. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Skimpy? 30gigs is skimpy? Those cables came with a 5 gig iPod. The bigger HDs cost more.

18. Kid Red macrumors 65816

There's a company that makes a firewire/usb dock plug thing I believe so just search for it.