Why is Bill Parcells called the Tuna?

Discussion in 'Community' started by ///M Power, Nov 3, 2003.

1. ///M Power macrumors newbie

Oct 27, 2003
  2. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    From some website after a google search:

Sorry, Charlie

Parcells also found time to address the burning question of how he got his nickname: "Big Tuna."
    "I think it goes back to my first time with the Patriots," said Parcells, who was New England's linebackers coach in 1980.

"There was an old commercial from Starkist with Charlie the Starkist Tuna, so my players were trying to con me on something one time, and I said, 'You must think I'm Charlie the Tuna,' you know, a sucker, and that's kind of how it started.

"We started with it that year and they used to wear those little tuna helmets, you know, tuna pictures on their helmets. That's where it all started."
  3. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    parcells should be called something else i am not allowed to repeat on these forums

but at least with parcells, a team usually wins and has a good shot at the playoffs
  4. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I remember fondly those Charlie The Tuna commercials. Parcels is definitely a take charge kind of guy. A very strict disciplinarian, it can a times be very difficult to get along with someone like that. He doesn't expect anything from his players that he's not willing to do himself. On the funny side his physique is a lot that of Charlie the tuna! :p