why is camino so much faster than safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thumb, Jun 8, 2006.

1. thumb macrumors 6502

May 8, 2005
    hi all

this is not a thread to debate which is faster. on my tibook .867ghz with 1GB RAM running 10.4.6, my newly downloaded camino 1.0.1 is much faster than my much used and beloved safari.

why is that? what might be wrong with safari. are there permissions or caches etc in safari that are "clogged" while camino is new and fresh?

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    go to your Finder> Home> Library> Safari> Icons... and delete everything in your Icons folder. See if that helps at all. But overall, I do find that Camino seems quicker than Safari, that's why I mainly use Camino.

I'm not techy-smart, so I dunno what it is about these two apps that makes them perform differently.
  3. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
  4. thumb thread starter macrumors 6502

May 8, 2005
    thanks for the suggestion. i did that, but unsure yet of the difference.

by far the biggest difference between their performance has been on pricegrabber.com which is the slowest site imaginable for my safari, but perfectly normal in camino. a few other sites, nytimes, espn, seem a bit snappier.

however, if i open a set of say 5 tabs, the same set on both safari and camino, and then let them idle, camino generally takes up about 25-30% of my cpu while idling from activity tracker, while safari idles more at 8%.
  5. thumb thread starter macrumors 6502

May 8, 2005
    they more i play with camino, the more i like it.

except for one major problem:

it eats up a huge portion of my cpu. 2 windows, 2-3 tabs each, non loading, camino is often cruzing between 50-80% of cpu!!!

is this normal? are there setting i can set to make it behave better?
  6. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I've used FireFox, Camino and Safari. I can't tell a licking difference...
  7. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Dec 23, 2004
    Charleston, IL
    On the contrary, I find Firefox to seem the slowest out of them all (and yes I'm running the Universal version of it)...but that's just me
  8. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Dec 28, 2004
    It's hard to tell the difference between Camino and Safari for me. Safari seems to render nicely, so I use it. Firefox is quite slow and a memory hog.
  9. thumb thread starter macrumors 6502

May 8, 2005
    try going to pricegrabber.com in safari

search for something you want

do it again in camino

for me there is a world of difference

the rest i can a difference, but it is not so dramatic. the cpu issues i mentioned above have brought me back to safari already. anyone else experience a similar difference in cpu ussage?
  10. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

Oct 15, 2005
    I just visited pricegrabber.com in both browsers, and it actually loaded noticeably faster in Safari! :eek:
  11. ero87 macrumors 65816

Jan 17, 2006
    New York City
    yeah me too, pricegrabber was speedy in safari!

I think each browser has sites it's not so good at. For instance, mlb.com is not so good in safari (or any browser really), but notably safari.
  12. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
  13. Nate4747 macrumors regular

May 7, 2006
    Pricegrabber Vs. Safari has been a long battle. Even on my new MacBook Pro it still hangs up when you try to use the search. It happens on every Mac. The site loads quick, but when you try to search it mucks up.

In my experience Camino is much faster and renders pages that Safari won't touch. Safari renders CSS and images a bit faster though.

The best part about Safari is that you can open about a million tabs and it doesn't slow down, the same can't be said about Camino.

Another weird quirk with Safari is that when playing flash videos if you select a window other than the one playing the video it slows down or stops. I guess this is how they cut down the CPU and memory usage with multiple tabs, but it is super annoying when trying to watch a flash video and do something else.
  14. Fukui macrumors 68000

Jul 19, 2002
    Safari's Javascript has lots of bugs, and also its a lot slower than Camino/Mozilla. Thats just how it is right now. And thats why some pages load the same, and why some are slower.

I think the next version of safari would clear up a lot of this. (Hopefully)
  15. Synapple macrumors regular

Mar 29, 2004
    Rome, Italy
    I'd say not normal... I've got 2 Camino windows open with 3 tabs each and it's now at 5% CPUwise.
  16. joebells macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2005
    maybe the person above that has high cpu usage with camino has flash and such running and the person right above me doesn't. Firefox on windows can use alot of memory and cpu if alot of flash is running.
  17. thumb thread starter macrumors 6502

May 8, 2005
    I had them both running the exact same websites (nytimes.com, salon.com, slate.com, espn.com, macrumors.com) and the two programs used dramatically different amounts of my CPU.

When i have only one or two tabs open, they seem much more similar.
  18. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

Dec 9, 2005
    Gainesville, Fl
    Thanks! It helps! But I also set to "no access" permisson under info window and it might work just better.
  19. hob macrumors 68020

Oct 4, 2003
    London, UK
    Are you kidding? On your Quad I bet even Final Cut Pro browses the internet at the same speed :p
  20. heaven macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2004
    HAHAHA! Great post!

I used Camino, but earlier today I download an alpha version of Bon Echo (Firefox 2) and I LOVE IT! Feels exactly like camino and has all the futures camino lacks.
  21. eeyoredragon macrumors member

Apr 2, 2005
    Camino is consistently much much faster than Safari for me on my Powerbook 1.87GHz G4.

I do have Pithhelmet for Safari, but I also have adblocking for Camino as well. Quite frankly, a browser without adblocking isn't a browser to me.

Camino does consistently use more CPU time, more RAM, and creates more threads (which I imagine accounts for its extra CPU usage... not sure how "nice" that is to other running processes, but it does work) than Safari for me as well, but most of the time, it's far more than worth it for the extra speed. Safari beachballs on me all the time if I don't let a page fully load before I do something else like select another tab or scroll. I also often have javascript issues with Safari... things in Safari beachball on many javascripts that Camino does not.

I only use Safari when I'm on battery power now. Well, especially now seeing as how my Powerbook has decided to put itself to sleep lately without warning when the battery still has 30% more power (and loses that charge quite faster than it used to... only a year old...)... meh.
  22. erikamsterdam macrumors regular

Apr 21, 2006
    I find on my old iBook G3 that Firefox is much faster than Camino actually. On Ajax sites like Gmail it is impossible to type in Camino, the letter appears 1 second after you type it, in Firefox Gmail works just fine.
    Must be that Camino is more CPU intensive, cos the iBook has 320Mb of RAM so that is plenty for just a browser.
  23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    My experience is the same as the general consensus here: Camino is faster than Safari (sometimes much faster), and Firefox is kind of a slug.
  24. eeyoredragon macrumors member

Apr 2, 2005
    I had that problem on an older version of Camino. I've since updated and am using an optimized version for my G4.