Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I don't understand why Charter Cable is not one of the choices for HBO Go to set up on my Apple TV? I can use HBO Go to see on my computer, so what difference would it make to run it through Apple TV? Makes no sense whatsoever?

REALLY ANNOYING!!!

Anyone know what the problem is?

Perhaps all they need is a little public shaming via Twitter. It worked on DirecTV (my provider). All of a sudden I go home and suddenly I can access HBOGo content after a 3 minute activation. If it works for DTV, who's been dragging their heels for YEARS regarding this, it can work for Charter.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I think Charter is immune to public shaming at this point. They'll collectively go have a smoke.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
I think Charter is immune to public shaming at this point. They'll collectively go have a smoke.

Yep, because I have done this many time via Twitter and Facebook and no one cares at Charter I think they enjoy being the ********* cable company.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Just got Apple TV and yep no way to access HBO Go because Charter is too greedy well I can access through my iPhone Airplay but at such a low quality what a waste.

jlusk99

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
Well screw Charter. I remembered my dad has Directv and he doesn't have an Apple nor AppleTV, so I am using his Directv account to access HBOgo via AppleTV. It is wonderful and so convenient!

Too bad I have to go to such lengths due to being a Charter customer.

jlusk99

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
No the quality using Airplay is terrible--poor washed out pixellated picture, constant judders, at least for me, but via AppleTV is perfect in great HD quality. Plus when using airplay, you can't use your computer for anything else, which is not a problem with AppleTV.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Dump Charter if they don't fix it. It will do little good to be pissed if you don't vote with your wallet.

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
No the quality using Airplay is terrible--poor washed out pixellated picture, constant judders, at least for me, but via AppleTV is perfect in great HD quality. Plus when using airplay, you can't use your computer for anything else, which is not a problem with AppleTV.

That's strange. It shouldn't be that way.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

That's strange. It shouldn't be that way.

Garrett is right, it should not be that way. I use airplay all of the time and the quality is just fine. if you are getting a laggy pixelated picture it is your internet connection.

jlusk99

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
Mattapatomus, maybe you can tell me what I'm doing wrong, but I have a great internet connection, through Charter no less. I get at least 30Mbps, sometimes higher. My router is a Time Capsule. And still my Airplay quality is not even comparable to what I get playing via HBOGo directly through ATV.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Mattapatomus, maybe you can tell me what I'm doing wrong, but I have a great internet connection, through Charter no less. I get at least 30Mbps, sometimes higher. My router is a Time Capsule. And still my Airplay quality is not even comparable to what I get playing via HBOGo directly through ATV.

I am not really sure, but mine looks really good. Every now and then it will go pixalated, but it is internet related.

DV8SAINT

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2013
It's a little more complicated than that...

This is a licensing issue with Charter and HBO and how it's authenticated using Apple TV. Apple TV is still an IOS device and it's a bit challenging licensing the content FROM HBO to Charter then VIA Apple. Most likely the licensing is in place between HBO and Charter and now it's up to Charter and Apple to iron out the contractual aspects of the licensing of content via Apple TV.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
This is a licensing issue with Charter and HBO and how it's authenticated using Apple TV. Apple TV is still an IOS device and it's a bit challenging licensing the content FROM HBO to Charter then VIA Apple. Most likely the licensing is in place between HBO and Charter and now it's up to Charter and Apple to iron out the contractual aspects of the licensing of content via Apple TV.

The problem is EVERY SINGLE HBO GO PARTNER but Charter works on Apple TV. Why Charter is holding is makes no sense to anyone but Charter. There's a reason why they are ranked last in customer satisfaction every single year.

xntas7

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2013
I don't understand why Charter Cable is not one of the choices for HBO Go to set up on my Apple TV? I can use HBO Go to see on my computer, so what difference would it make to run it through Apple TV? Makes no sense whatsoever?

REALLY ANNOYING!!!

Anyone know what the problem is?

Found this on Charters Website:

Charter TV with Charter Internet subscribers
Your HBO GO/MAX GO login will be your Charter.net Email address and password. If you do not have a Charter.net Email address you MUST create one

Charter TV only subscribers
Your HBO GO/MAX GO login will be your Charter My Account username and password

Note: The HBO GO app for Apple TV is currently not available for Charter Customers

jlusk99

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
Wow.......still no HBO Go via Apple TV available for Charter customers. About 4 months now and still nothing......

I guess none of the other cable/satellite companies went belly up by offering HBO Go so why Charter is still a holdout is anybody's guess.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
Well I posted a question to Charter's Facebook page and this was their response:

"We're excited about the advancements on Apple TV too! At this time Charter has not has not launched the HBOGO app. Our Product and Marketing teams will continue to work on getting access available, however, we do not have a launch date yet. You can still use HBOGO by accessing it through AirPlay Mirroring (instruction here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5209). Thanks for your patience."

I don't know if they are just blowing smoke, but at least it looks like their may be hope. I don't know what the hold up is if virtually all the other cable companies offer it. At least in my area, Charter has great internet service so it would seem like technology is not the problem.

I had charter in college-they make Comcast look really good.

Without boring you with the details I will say that because they offered one sports team local channels, I couldnt get the team I wanted even if I ordered the package that gets me all the games each day.

Nothing they do or don't do surprises me.

MasConejos

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Houston, TX
Anyone have any updates on this? It's obviously still not working (having just tried it) but maybe someone has some new information?

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Anyone have any updates on this? It's obviously still not working (having just tried it) but maybe someone has some new information?

It is Charter nothing ever works even their new Charter Anywhere App trust me I wish this company would leave my city and I am still watching HBO Go through Airplay how pathetic of Charter. Charter is filled with lies they promise a feature but it never happens but they do love to raise their prices and take your money.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
So why the ******* is available for just about EVERY cable and dish subscriber in the COUNTRY except Charter? If the app was developed by HBO what do they have to do to get it to work in their system?

If it makes you feel any better, Comcast subscribers, for who explained reason cannot use HBO GO on Roku-there is an extremely long (almost by now 2 year long) thread on comcast site about the issue.

And yes, Charter does stink-had them in college and they make Comcast look like gold.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
You all need to call up charter and tell them you are switching to another tv provider that gives you access to hbo go on Apple TV.

Maybe then they'll get the message

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
You all need to call up charter and tell them you are switching to another tv provider that gives you access to hbo go on Apple TV.

Maybe then they'll get the message

And you think we don't they just do not care all they do is raise the price and add nothing & they still will not let another cable company in our area typical Monopoly obviously FCC would not care because they get rich by doing this.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
And you think we don't they just do not care all they do is raise the price and add nothing & they still will not let another cable company in our area typical Monopoly obviously FCC would not care because they get rich by doing this.

I am convinced if Charter started losing customers in big numbers they would change their tune.

Last edited:

snarfquest

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2013
So why the ******* is available for just about EVERY cable and dish subscriber in the COUNTRY except Charter? If the app was developed by HBO what do they have to do to get it to work in their system?

It's because of Charter's license agreement with HBO. It's up to Charter to allow it.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
It's because of Charter's license agreement with HBO. It's up to Charter to allow it.

That is stupid if I can get HBO Go on my iPhone and iPad from Charter even on my Mac. Heck I get ABC, ESPN and Disney Channels on Apple TV through Charter now tell me why Charter would not allow HBO Go on Apple TV but other networks it is okay?

Does Charter understand we still have to pay for HBO before getting HBO Go? They are in no loss so try to make sense out of this other than greed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.