Why is "Dirty Little Secret" suddenly #1 on iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by emutree, Jan 7, 2006.

1. emutree macrumors member

Didn't "Dirty Little Secret" (by the All American Rejects) come out in like the summer time? What's up with the sudden and huge spike in sales? Did they rerelease it or something? Did radio play ramp up? Or is everyone just making their 2005 Summary playlists and picking up the missing components? Can someone from the US who's just recently bought it enlighten me why? Did you miss the first wave in August? I'm going crazy wondering why people all randomly decided to buy a song from last summer at the same time. Sounds weird, but please fulfill my curiousity. :p

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Has it been featured in an ad or film soundtrack? Both of those could trigger new interest in the song.

3. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

4. Verschoren macrumors regular

Verschoren

didn't it feature in a recent Smallville episode (season 5)?
    it's on the metropolis Smallville 2 soundtrack..

just a thought..

5. Pistol Pete macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

people catch on to songs later than others....i see that a lot with older songs...

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i remember the fall out boy - were going down song or whatever came out in the summer (at least when i heard it) and it was the top 10 in the fall/early winter...i guess people are slow when it comes to new music...

7. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Yeah, I bought the CD in August or sometime around there, and I love that song :)

8. ColdFlame87 macrumors regular

Who could forget Green Day too:rolleyes:

9. emutree thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestions - I feel a little more fulfilled now ;). I'm used to seeing the charts a couple of months behind the music's releases, I was just shocked because I remember the song being in the top 10 back in August too and then I haven't seen it for a while, when all of a sudden there it was at #1 (and I thought since they've already released Move Along as another single people would be more into it). Yeah "Sugar, We're Going Down" by Fall Out Boy had like 4 batches of catching on on the iTMS - it's be right in the top 5, drop off for 2 weeks and then inexplicably a whole new audience would discover it all at once and it'd be like #4 again. Pretty random, following music trends.
    I forgot about the Post Secret thing though (I thought that would've died off awhile ago) - a lot of those were pretty funny.

10. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

It's my fault. I didn't realize you only had to click Buy Song only once. :D

This thread cracked me up because I just bought their album two days ago. Hehe.

11. briangig macrumors regular

a few months ago, Don't Stop Believing - Journey was #1 for a few days. I think it was on Laguna Beach or some stupid crap.

12. haiggy macrumors 65816

It's because TH3Y R T3H 0wn4g3!!!1111one!!!!111eleven :rolleyes:

13. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Family Guy.

"Holy crap! That IS Journey!!"

14. emutree thread starter macrumors member

This would make a good book - "The trends of iTunes Music Store buying for mainstream America"