why is everything closed!?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by taytho, Apr 19, 2006.

1. taytho macrumors 6502

it seems like all the sites i am looking at are closed tomorrow or for the next few days..... does anyone know why?

tay

2. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I don't know why this is in photography, and this is also a very stupid thread.

OMGBBQ ALL SITES I LOOK AT ARE DOWN, WHY!? TERRORISTS!

What sites, what browser?

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Such as...?

Without any examples of closed sites it's relatively hard to know what the frell you're talking about...

4. taytho thread starter macrumors 6502

jeez man.... i didnt say anything about terrorists..... my goodness

abes of maine

b & h

bestpricecameras.com

none of them are doing orders tomorrow........ just wondering.

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

6. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

A few sites aren't doing orders tomorrow.. but they aren't down -- completely unrelated sites at that.

That's like saying "why do my fridge, air conditioning, and lamp not work?"

7. taytho thread starter macrumors 6502

alright.... phrased wrong then.

does anyone know why they arent taking orders tomorrow..... i havent made an order in a while, so i don't know if this is a common thing. I didnt know if it was a coincedence that they are not doing orders or what. I am just curious

8. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Man am I funny or what. I tell incredible jokes. Fridge, AC, Lamp. hehehe.

:rolleyes:

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Some of the most popular camera sites' owners are Orthodox, and therefore the sites (and B&M stores) observe the Jewish holy days.

Either that or they all said "Dang. Taytho hasn't made any orders in a long time, that's it, we're shutting down."

10. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    If you're looking at online stores based in NYC or its immediate environs, the answer is very simple: High Holy Days for Orthodox Jews. Many places such as B&H are owned and operated by Orhodox Jews who take their religion seriously and who mandate that the store be closed at the Sabbath (sundown Friday - through all day Saturday) and any religious holidays observed by Orthodox Jews, including Easter and Passover.

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Aren't High Holy Days the days between Rosh HaShanah and Yom Kipper? That's in September/October. I'm not aware of any Jewish holidays today and tomorrow. :confused:

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

People were celebrating Passover.

13. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Of course...I got hung up on the High Holy Days thing. WildCowboys are so dumb. :eek:

14. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

B&H photo closes down more days than anyone else. I would love to work for them, seems like they close down for a holiday every week.

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Jews celebrate Easter?

Lethal

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I am not sure how to describe the Jewish beliefs of the owners at B&H. I may be wrong but Conservative Jews IIRC are more liberal than other sects.

B&H, as well as others follow a stricter belief in Holidays. After seeing the number of stores open for Xmas and Easter, I can only applaud them in supporting their beliefs. Even if it costs them sales. There is conviction for you.

I am heartened by the loss of sales that these companies face. Sometimes it is about beliefs, other times it is about the general feeling behind the holiday observance.

But the greedy Amrican value is based on profit and spending. Does it truely hurt you not be able to spend your $ on News Years Day? Or on Easter Sunday? What about Federal holidays like Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day? Would you so cheated by stores being closed these days?

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You're just on the wrong coast to be facing a lot of Jewish holidays. Though I don't live in the Philly area anymore, a lot of things go closed there over the various holidays and I expect that they do more often than what happens in reality.

Adorama Camera was also closed during Passover.

18. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

Arbys... roast beef sale. Or so the old commercial went.

19. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

Orthodox Jews celebrate Passover for a full week, many of whom are camera dealers. They should all be up and running Thursday night or Friday morning.

I've been waiting all week to purchase a Rebel XT.
    First thing Friday morning I'll be a B&H.

20. taytho thread starter macrumors 6502

Forget the High Holy day theory..... i think you hit the nail on the head.... what did i do to deserve this?!?

21. ChrisA macrumors G4

Jewish Hollidays. Yes I know it's a stereotype but many of the New York merchant retailers are Jewish owned bussines I've got some photo stuff held up and some scuba stuff held up. Both sites are New York based. Actually it's a "Good Thing" that these people value traditions like this over makeing money.

22. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Dude...

Seriously...they are creative companies.

Today is 4/20.

Do the math.

And smoke some...

23. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I've been waiting to order a few things from B&H, and haven't been able to all week.

It doesn't bother me in the least, I can wait until they come back from holiday. Like others have said, I think it's impressive that they shut down for the entire holiday, and miss who knows much in revenue.

They'll still get my $3-400 come tomorrow.

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Why did you act like an ass? :confused:

Also, you can just wait a week. ;) They're not saying they don't want your business. Your money is still good at those stores, just not now. Your money will still get you what you want next week.

25. Subiklim macrumors 6502

These aren't High Holy Days. It's Passover. Conservative jews don't celebrate all the days that the orthodox do, and seeing how most of the jews at B&H are orthodox they should take the days off. They also are off early on fridays, and no saturdays.
    [​IMG]