Why is Facebook forcing me to use Messenger

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by xtek, Oct 30, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Oct 6, 2012
    I woke up this morning and that's what I saw when I tried to read messages on my iPhone 5 with latest Facebook app.

Are they f%%ing kidding me? Why do I need this shi$%y Messenger app? I don't want it, I want to read and send messages in Facebook app. I like to read sth on Facebook and then read and write messages DURING this without need of switching between apps. I managed to skip it somehow - I clicked install, app store opened but I never installed Messenger, ahahhah Facebook, in your face! And then my messages came back. But for how long... :/
  2. macrumors 6502a

Dec 19, 2011
    um. ok.
  3. macrumors 65816

Oct 26, 2011
    At the alternatives section.
    i also never quite understood the need for a facebook messenger app.

messages are already embedded in the facebook app, yet, facebook wants you to use this extra app if you have any hopes of enabling push notifications for them... as well as other features. not sure why.
  4. xtek, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 6, 2012
    Push works super-fine for me in Facebook app - as good for messages as for other stuff like posts and likes. Moreover, in the morning when I experienced this "blockage" I received push notifications as usual, I could read a part of message but when I clicked them and I was redirected to Facebook app, picture like I posted before appeared. Nonsense...

It seems that it's beginning to be an issue. Messenger app has 20 5-star ratings and 103 1-star and comments like this "Completely unnecessary app, forced to FB users in the greatest dick move since mandatory Timeline". I guess they change setting step by step for some people and force them to install idiotic Messenger app.
  5. macrumors 6502a

May 18, 2013
    Delete your Facebook, enjoy sunlight. Live life with less stress man.
  6. macrumors Core

Oct 17, 2011
    Interesting, I have Messenger installed, but can read/use messages from either Messenger or Facebook apps. Have you tried installing the app but not using it to see if you could still use messaging from within the Facebook app? Perhaps uninstalling and reinstalling the Facebook app might help as well?
  7. macrumors 68030

Apr 30, 2012
    yea i have both installed and can use either or for messaging.
  8. macrumors member

Feb 18, 2008
    Is there a workaround at all?
    I'm determined not to use messenger
  9. macrumors G3

Aug 24, 2009
    Yeah, Facebook can **** off if they think I'm downloading another app for them. If they do this on BlackBerry then I think I'll be pushed to delete my Facebook account.