Why is Firefox mucking up fonts?!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrbrown, Jun 8, 2006.

1. mrbrown macrumors 6502

I've noticed whenever I use Firefox, it will screw up the fonts on certain sites. By screw up, I mean that it is actually displaying the correct fonts incorrectly - letters are squished together - that sort of thing.

I've attached a screenshot of what an article on slashdot looks like for me.

Attached Files:

2. gerbilbox macrumors regular

I've attached the screenshot of what I'm seeing, which I assume is what you were expecting.

Have you tried closing the program and starting it back up? Sometimes if you run a program (any) for a while, it starts acting strange.

Attached Files:

3. nonregulator macrumors newbie

I've had this problem for some time on all mozilla browsers, including camino and firefox. It apparently has something to do with duplicate fonts or something along those lines, try openning font book and using the resolve duplicates and validate fonts options. Though admittedly the solution is incomplete as I still get the problem on pages sometimes. If you find a better solution please reply.

4. mrbrown thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I've been expecting to see. It happens all of the time, so closing it makes no difference. I also noticed it happens in Dreamweaver.

I'm going to take nonregulator's suggestion and see if there are any duplicate fonts in my font book. Will post the results.

5. mrbrown thread starter macrumors 6502

That seems to be working for me. I had to manually disable all of the duplicate fonts, as resolve duplicates didn't seem to do much of anything. But after I did that, everything looks fine now.

6. howesey macrumors 6502a

It has been fixed and should be in version 2.0.

2.0 and upwards will use ATS for font rendering.

7. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Any updates on this. I am using BON echo 2.0 and did the duplicate font thing and it helped a little but still there hmmm. Any ideas?

8. howesey macrumors 6502a

Is Cocoa enabled in your builds?

A good way to check without getting complicated, does the 'Search Forums' button at the top of this page look like a Windows button or OS X? If OS X, Cocoa is running in your build. Good chance if it is Cocoa it's using better rendering engines for text.

Also, try Minefield builds, with Cairo switched on. Nice a quick. Cocoa widgets should be dropped in the trunk this week, Cairo drawing in two weeks.

9. bloodycape macrumors 65816

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You don't turn on Cocoa. Cocoa is not a runtime environment or anything that you can just turn on. It is the set of OpenSTEP-derived APIs upon which applications are built for MacOS X. If you boot into the MacOS X GUI, you are running Cocoa.