Why is Firewire so special?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by slimflem, Dec 4, 2005.

1. slimflem macrumors regular

slimflem

If you have ever wondered what makes Firewire so special and why Apple must continue its development and must continue to include full support on all their products, read this:

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/07/26/firewire.html?page=1

After reading at least the first page, you should have a much higher regard for Firewire and realize how it truely puts usb to shame in many ways.

enjoy!

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

3. slimflem thread starter macrumors regular

slimflem

It was rhetorical....just trying to post some great info Firewire.

4. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Too bad...

...Apple stopped supplying Firewire cables with iPods. It seems that would only help obviate the use of Firewire.

5. aquajet macrumors 68020

Apple went beyond that, completely removing support for Firewire transfers.
    :mad:

6. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

In which really pisses me off, as I bought a FireWire cable for one of my old iPods and this one won't work with the new iPods :mad:

7. slimflem thread starter macrumors regular

slimflem

While I do agree it's too bad the iPod is moving away from FW, I think this is strictly to help market share with Windows. Windows does not have the out-of-the-box FW support that Mac's do. If Apple wants the iPod to truely dominate, this must be done. Having both could raise costs more than people would want to pay. I've seen no reason to believe Apple is dumping FW beyond the iPod.

8. onemacmini macrumors 6502

they done this to reduce the size other wise we will still have thicker ipods

9. aquajet macrumors 68020

That's too bad. I would've taken a slightly thicker iPod in exchange for superior technology.

10. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

firewire really is something special, I was saddened deeply by its removal from the newest iPods. everyday I'm amazed at the speed of my Firewire 800 external drive, which is just as fast as my internal for virtually everything

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Thicker and $20 more expensive?

12. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

The article largely seems to deal with Firewire 800, when the standard is still 400Mbps. Few devices currently utilise the 9-pin, 800Mbps version, but will come over time. As long as camcorders still prefer dv, Firewire will remain. I can even see it becoming more popular and Apple reintroducing it to iPods or PDAs further along the line. Once more have it, they can afford to ignore USB in favour of it, and there will be a time when more have it.

However, with Wireless USB not far off, USB could still attempt to crush Firewire, with more devices coming with USB/Wireless USB support built in. It just may be cheaper in the long run and manufacturers also go for costs unless they know they can charge the consumer a premium for something they demand.

13. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Yes, especially for those of us who don't have USB 2.0, but we do have Firewire.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, since HP was really the only one supporting 6 wire FW ports and Sony was the only other one supporting FW on a consistent basis, Apple's decision makes sense.

Actually, FireWire is going into more video equipment toward the high end and several HD t.v. sets seem to be supporting the technology. Higher end digital cameras tend to have FW connections as well. If Apple would reduce the royalty payments on it again, FW would be a lot more places in consumer equipment.

15. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No, I mean $20 more expensive for everyone, including the 60-80% of iPod buyers who don't have or don't need Firewire. I think Apple looked at the price points and decided that their losses from disgruntled pre-USB2 Mac owners would be far less than the losses in sales from the higher price.

16. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I've been seeing FireWire showing up on a lot of other, lower end computers lately. I'd guess it's mainly because all the computer companies are starting to catch on to what Apple did 6 years ago with iMovie and DV editing. They're playing up the video editing capabilities of their computers. Firewire is a technology of the future, and will, eventually make its way into more and more computers, as USB remains lower data rate, and Firewire can support the extreme data speeds of the future.

17. ll350 macrumors member

I saw a roadmap a while back that showed firewire going faster than 800Mb/s in the future, anybody seen it recently?

18. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah, there's a Firewire 1600 in the works.

But as for USB being slow and obsolete-to-be, I don't agree - it's not like they stopped USB development after USB2. There will be a USB3, and I'd bet my heart and right leg it'll be be faster than USB2.

19. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Me too.

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Gigawire has been in the works quite a long time. It would be available now, if there was an actual, immediate application. The slow adoption of FW800 has cooled FW's chances for the future, except in high end markets.

21. maya macrumors 68040

maya

FW 1600 or GigaWire, whatever you want to call it is actually used to network. Its supposed to be a superior option over ethernet and cheaper too (not sure on the cheaper option). Its main application is for Studios that deal with Video, Broadcast, etc...

I had read this late last year around Oct 2004. Hope that helps. :)

Chances are quite slim that you will ever see a consumer needing it. Its great for servers though. :D

22. sgmorr macrumors member

It would seem that Apple has taken some of the air out of the Firewire sails with its recent moves in the iPod. Seems like it's never a good sign when a given technology is given reduced market share, no matter how good it is.

I just bought a peripheral HD for use with my iMac G4. After some consideration of the Firewire/USB issues, I bought a drive with both FW and USB 2 interfaces. I knew I needed FW for now because I wanted to make and maintain a bootable clone for backup of my internal HD. But I also have a feeling in the back of my mind that Apple may use the Intel Macs to continue a move toward USB and possibly USB booting. Anyway, I didn't want to be left out in the cold in case the "Fire" goes out.

23. igetit macrumors member

igetit

I agree the whole FW support leaving the iPods really blows!!!:mad: I for one have an aging computer with USB1.1. I got the last iPod with FW support a couple of month ago, but would have liked to have a Nano and it is not possible now. I guess it is wise for Apple to part with FW for iPods to increase their market share since definitely PC and Windows never got with the program :mad:

Apple could have taken a hint from MOTU though. They have an audio interface called the 828 MKII that was a FW interface, now it is USB2 but at least they left the FW one available too, at least for now anyway....:confused:

24. aquajet macrumors 68020

Thicker and maybe a thinner margin for Apple. :D

25. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Amen!

I read the article..I was disappointed. It's an outdated story that doesn't compare FW to USB. Instead, it simply boasts about FW's ability. There's no evidance to support FW over USB in the story. booo!:(