Why is Front Row an issue? What does it Do?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mac.head.high, Feb 5, 2006.

1. mac.head.high macrumors regular

mac.head.high

I've read through the other post, and I've looked at Apple's website, and I don't know what Front Row does that's so special. It's just a "always on" (like dashboard) media playback program right?

I just don't understand what the deal is. I get that people are putting this program on none iMac Macs. But since when does Apple lock Apple users out of a program?

And again, what is so special about this program? What am I missing?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It's basically a front end for quicktime, itunes, imovie, and dvd player. It allows you to more easily open up and play/view files associated with these programs. It works even better if you have the remote that comes with iMac.

Apple has always locked users out or program that people haven't paid for. If purchase a mac that comes with FR, then you paid for it. If your mac didn't come with FR, then you don't get it. Same with iLife and other programs (although, you can purchase iLife separately).

Why do I have the feeling this thread is going to locked and/or wastelanded?

3. phampton81 macrumors member

The discussion had very little to do with Front Row itself and more to do with the legality of running such a program on a computer other than the one's it shipped on. The thread has been closed so I don't know if macrumors appreciated the conversation. However I found the subject intriguing and found this little bit of info in the 10.4.4 license agreement.

"Apple Software provided with a particular Apple-labeled hardware product may not run on other models of Apple-labeled hardware."

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

As a program it's nothing great. Actually, in comparison to Windows Media Center, it's rather primative (feature wise). But it represents the first decent media center app for the Mac and that is what its notable. I wouldn't be shocked if it ver. 2.0 didn't find its way into Leopard (10.5).

I've got my Mac patched into my whole house A/V system. It's so nice to be able to search for music on my Mac via any TV in the house and then play it on any speaker system in my house. Before FR, your choice was either the buggy and ugly Win Media Center or a $2,000+ Imerge. Once 802.11n products come out and wireless TV is reality, everyone will have a whole house A/V system and the Mac will be a great choice to power it.

As for Apple locking out users, I'm not really sure what you are talking about. It's true FR isn't available for sale a la carte right now, but neither was iMovie 1.0 or iDVD 1.0. Apple does have a tradition of making it's newest software available only to buyers of it's latest computers. That will change.

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

It was designed to work from across the room using a remote. I feel that it is missing the TV feature but maybe Apple will figure it out someday.

6. mac.head.high thread starter macrumors regular

mac.head.high

So it's a super slick front end built media player for the iMac. Essentially turning your iMac with remote into your media center. But the folks have figured out a way to run it on non iMac hardware. Cool. Thanks for the answers people.