Why is G5 a "Buy Now"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SuperChuck, Nov 25, 2003.

1. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

Nov 15, 2003
    Chucktown, SC
    I realize that the product was just updated, but doesn't Apple have a history of putting out new Powermacs at Macworld SF?

My take on the "new model" of Powermac is that Apple was selling lots of Dual 2's to speed demons with deep pockets and lots of the 1.6's to those who want a G5, but can't afford the top price. There wasn't much of a market for the middle-of-the-road system, especially due to the fact that the G5 only kicks high-end Intel butt in dual format.

IF the above is true, and IF a big upgrade is coming on schedule in January, it only made sense to double up the poor-selling 1.8's and clear them out to make way for the new lines. And that would make buying NOW a not-so-bright-idea.

As I recall (and I could be wrong), Apple used to sell only 2 processor models, and the "Best" model was just a tricked-out version of the bigger processor. Does anyone know if I'm right, or am I just remembering things wrong?
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    This update does not mean they won't update the machines in January or shortly thereafter, but the update was a welcome change coming into the Christmas buying season.

Apple needs to definitely work on making more simultaneous announcement/(shipping now) product launches.

The pre-announcing new product for future shipment, while killing the old product, creates problems for people needing to buy now.

Especially if there are production problems on the new product. :(
  3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    I question the "Buy Now" rating as well. My hunch is that speed bumps will be announced at MWSF, as many rumors and people have hinted at. Even if shipping dates aren't until Feb or Mar, I still see updates announced, in the form of speed bumps. It does kind of make sense, as the previous poster said - pump out the Dual 2.0 for the power-hungry, sell the 1.6 for those who don't have a lot of $$$ but want a G5, and then double up the 1.8s when they didn't sell too well. Get those out of the stock and release your new updates, possibly even making the 2.0 the new low-end processor, eventually making way in spring or summer for a 1.6 G5 or 1.8 G5 iMac, etc. etc.

I guess we'll just have to see, but I'd be surprised if we didn't see some sort of updates announced at MWSF. If nothing else, the G5 xServe is way overdue and should be the first new G5 announcement before anything else... Oh, and the LCDs are due too! :)
  4. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    Just because the Dual 1.8s have just been released doesn't mean updates won't happen in January... I say they are far more likely as this latest model is a sweet update to keep the G5 line-up looking fresh. It will probably mean a decline in Dual 2.0 sales as people question the extra cost, considering the Dual 1.8 fares well on Apple's new benchmark tests.

Therefore, expect at least a massive price drop in January if nothing new is ready. They are unlikely to announce new machines and then say "they'll be ready in 2 months" because then no-one will buy the current models. Apple thrives on customers not realising an update is around the corner :D

Thank god for MacRumors then... That said, I don't think G5s should be a BUY NOW!
  5. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    My understanding is that there wasn't really an update. They just made the 1.8 a dual. Don't thing they made any design changes.

As I have read in this forum the announcement of Rev. B will be at MWSF. The ability too fix any design flaws. Would agree that an Xserve G5 would be good for the future of Apple. Hopefully we will see an update to the beloved Cinema Display. Wonder what new software Steve will introduce.
  6. Mantat macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2003
    Montréal (Canada)
    Havent you noticed that Apple try to stop scheduling update at conventions? They update the line when its needed, thats all.

Stop thinking about buying something at the right time, buy a mac when you need it! Yes, there is probably going to be a speed bumb in 3-4 months, and probably in less than that, the 1.6 will become dual. So what? If you think that the 1.6 suit your needs right now, take it! Else, wait until you need it!

Personnaly, I think the new 1.8 dual is a very good buy for someone who does serious work (à la video editing) or gamer. But if you get one, for god sake put RAID 0 raptors in it! Its the only way to feel how strong this beast is! Oh.. and dont look at all the benchmarks. The G5 shines when you are using massive ram: more than 2gigs and none of the benchmarks so far are setting them this way.

Conclusion: its a must buy if you need it! Another must buy IMHO is the eMac, but thats another story...