why is ilife so slow

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by biohazard6969, Mar 17, 2005.

1. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

i don't know if i'm the only one who has noticed this but i feel that ilife is a serious resource hog, excluding itunes. my main beef is with iphoto, i've made a point in other posts that it runs extremely slow on my computer and will often freeze up, sometimes cuaseing my whole computer to freeze up. imovie isn't SO bad, and i don't use iDVD because i don't have a superdrive, and don't need to burn DVD's, but Garageband as well, with most of these apps, i can't be doing anything else at the same time or it will begin to protest. if you ask me, i think that apple should make it so that any ilife app will run with no problem on any recent mac....basicly you should be able to run any apple application at the same time as any other without having any problems. if anyone can help me with maybe speeding up iphoto that would be great, otherwise let me know how many others are having the same problem as me

p.s. i'm running on a 12" powerbook G4 1.33 Ghz, 768 MB RAM

2. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

I only use iTunes and iPhoto from iLife '05. I had iLife '04 and never had any problems with iPhoto. The new iPhoto feels a LOT slower and is almost impossible to upload pictures to my .Mac homepage. I get the spinning beachball a lot more in '05 than I did in '04. I'm hoping I won't have this lag with my new PowerBook next week.

3. MXDT macrumors member

Compared to alot of other photo veiwing and organizing apps out there especially on XP iPhoto is SLUGGISH! even on a G5.

But then again it has a lot more features than other so called equivalent apps.

But yes it is slow. I think OS X is still very slow in general.

4. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

iPhoto 5

in another thread someone suggested turning off the "show photo count for albums" to speed it up.

it seems better on mine after i did that. iPhoto 5 certainly feels slower than 4 which i upgraded from.

15" pb @ 1.33 + 768 ram

5. biohazard6969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

yes, this is basicly what i do as well, iphoto 5 is SO much slower then 4, i think this is horrible, if anything, with an update they should make it run faster, and especially on a more-than-capable mac like mine

6. duja_snooze macrumors newbie

i'm running the same pb as you (12", 1.33, 768) and have no probs at all with iLife 04......can run say iPhoto, iTunes and 4 or 5 other programs without any slow-down at all.

i know that doesn't help, but thought i should mention that not everyone has the same problem.

7. biohazard6969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

yea me too, i was FINE running ilife 04 but once i switched to ilife 05 iphoto is significantly slower, i get the beach ball ALL THE TIME and it freezes and gets "hung" all the time. i've already reinstalled it and reimported all my pics, still nothign

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I've found iPhoto 5 to be quicker than iPhoto4 using a 15" 1.25 PB with admittedly 1.25GB of RAM. I particularly like the 'mini pic' that comes up as you click through images in Edit. I've usually got it open with Mail, Safari, iTunes and Elements at least.

The 'show photo count' off does speed stuff up. The other thing I found useful was making sure that I imported pictures as film rolls and keeping them closed in the main Library unless viewing. That seemed to make a huge difference in speed as opposed to when I had all my pictures imported in a single block and visible at one time.