Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
Some one was saying IQ of 70 than say IQ of 110 or 120 there is no difference to untrained person. Only highly skilled train doctors doing IQ assessment can tell. But the average person cannot tell difference is that true.

Saying that if you have IQ of 100 or higher and your friends, family and people you talk to have IQ of 70 you would not be able to tell the difference at all.

Also saying IQ test does not test your curiosity to learn, abstract thinking and creativity. That IQ is bogus and lot it does not test you on.

If this is true why do we still use the IQ test and so many people so interested in the IQ test and what their IQ score is at?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If this is true why do we still use the IQ test and so many people so interested in the IQ test and what their IQ score is at?
The last time IQ score was really mentioned,at least for my circle of friends and acquaintances was in high school or middle school. It wasn't really referenced in college or work.

Personally, I don't care what my IQ score is, or anybody else's

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Some one was saying IQ of 70 than say IQ of 110 or 120 there is no difference to untrained person. Only highly skilled train doctors doing IQ assessment can tell. But the average person cannot tell difference is that true.

I think given some time with such a person, you'd notice differences between someone with an IQ of 70 vs 100. You might not see it immediately.

I didn't realize "so many people" are so interested in the IQ test.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
You know, "I Q" is a true statement in my case! :)

Everyone knows the phrase "IQ test" but I never hear of anyone actually taking one, except for people who want to join Mensa. Who else uses IQ tests?

If someone is within a standard deviation or two of normal intelligence (IQ 100) then I doubt you could rank them below-100 or above-100 from a casual conversation. After all, people have differing talents and it's not all on one intelligence scale. Some people can memorize or calculate more than others, some are more creative, some are introverted and listen more than they speak, some aren't great thinkers but have excellent social skills, some are brilliant but don't express themselves well, and so on.

I think you could tell more about someone's intelligence if you lived with them or worked with them, so you'd get a better overall picture of their abilities.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
IQ tests are about mental acuity. That and the ability to decipher strict sets of data. Outside of that, IQ has little bearing on actual intelligence. It would be the idea of someone labeled as highly intelligent but based their learned material on strict rote memorization. Whereas a well cultured individual would be actually intelligent; they excel in their chosen field but also have a wealth of knowledge on a variety of topics. If someone tells me they're very smart because they have an IQ of 110, I'm inclined to believe they might be, but also fall severely short in other areas of intelligence.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I would think a true IQ test would be done before a child starts their first day of school. Since people judge IQ based on what they have learned. So then you get into is a person intelligent or gifted.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
IQ tests are given mostly to children for the purpose of identifying their learning potential, as well as what they have already learned.

It's a great tool for students in early grades. It's a great tool when we're trying to see whether an older child (middle or high school) should be receiving services or an IEP.

Beyond that, everyone is right. Unless you are trying to join Mensa, no one really cares.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
IQ tests are about mental acuity. That and the ability to decipher strict sets of data. Outside of that, IQ has little bearing on actual intelligence. It would be the idea of someone labeled as highly intelligent but based their learned material on strict rote memorization. Whereas a well cultured individual would be actually intelligent; they excel in their chosen field but also have a wealth of knowledge on a variety of topics. If someone tells me they're very smart because they have an IQ of 110, I'm inclined to believe they might be, but also fall severely short in other areas of intelligence.

There is analytical and computational abilities vs social/common sense? It seems that a high IQ would require education to fully benefit from it.

ejb190

macrumors 65816
I was trained on Myers-Briggs Type Indicator a number of years ago. It is interesting to see these personality indicators (MBTI, Real Colors, DiSC, etc.) rotate in and out of favor (or use and misuse, as the case may be) as the trends in business and team building change.

And I think just like personality assessments, trends in education change as well. Back in the 1990's/early 2000's there was a movement in education called Multiple Intelligences. The idea is that while IQ measures one aspect of intelligence, there are many others. For instance, Physical (think world class athletes), musical, mechanical, social, etc. It kind of gets to that "everyone's special" mentality or, if you want to put a positive spin on it, everyone learns a bit differently and has different strengths.

I've been out of the child development and education area for a couple of decades, so I really don't know where we have been since then. Or if we are coming back to where we were before (I.Q.?).

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
Do people with IQ of 70 really talk different and behave different than some on with IQ of 100?

Do people of IQ of 70 have more problems and struggle more?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
IQ is best summed up by this.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad!

Bonus IQ point if you can tell me who I'm quoting!

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
As an engineer I can tell you that IQ test are used outside of wanting to join MENSA. I have taken, and have heard of many of my friends/coworkers/etc. taking tests when applying for different jobs that are either straight up IQ tests or based on IQ tests. Mainly because things like pattern recognition, problem solving, etc. are very important in our fields.

As far as telling when talking to someone what their IQ is, that can be much more difficult. Especially when you are talking about people with IQs near average or above average. Most of the time you aren't going to tell by talking to a person if their IQ is 100 or 150. However, yes dealing with a person who has a lower IQ like 70 usually will become more apparent over time. Going strictly by the words people use, or the way they talk isn't going to do it. Some people with lower IQ may be very well spoken, and some with higher IQ may not be. However, when it comes to situations like problem solving that is when you start to see the difference. Remember high IQ/low IQ doesn't really measure a person's knowledge.

c deerinck

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2015
Could a person with an IQ of 100 tell the difference between 70 and 100? Maybe and maybe not.
Could a person with an IQ of 120+ tell the difference? Almost certainly.

My highest tested IQ was 185 (when I was 19). I doubt it is that high anymore (I am now 55), as age is a factor, and I am sure I didn't keep up with that curve. I can absolutely gauge a person's IQ within minutes of meeting them. Sometimes I am surprised when they have expertise in a narrow area, but rarely am I surprised with their overall intelligence.

That said, I can tell you that IQ has very little to do with success, nor is their a strong correlation with ability to learn or getting a job accomplished. Far more important is a desire to learn (curiosity) and a willingness to work to achieve a goal (ambition). Without those aspects, intelligence doesn't deliver results. Certainly intelligence would make walking a path easier, but it won't make a person want to walk the path, nor actually do the walking.

For the reasons mentioned above, business and education generally don't value IQ very much as it is not a predictor of success. As you get older, your achievements are a much better indicator. Consequently it is used to asses children's potential, and little else other than to satisfy curiosity.

Reactions: jaduff46

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
Could a person with an IQ of 100 tell the difference between 70 and 100? Maybe and maybe not.
Could a person with an IQ of 120+ tell the difference? Almost certainly.

My highest tested IQ was 185 (when I was 19). I doubt it is that high anymore (I am now 55), as age is a factor, and I am sure I didn't keep up with that curve. I can absolutely gauge a person's IQ within minutes of meeting them. Sometimes I am surprised when they have expertise in a narrow area, but rarely am I surprised with their overall intelligence.

That said, I can tell you that IQ has very little to do with success, nor is their a strong correlation with ability to learn or getting a job accomplished. Far more important is a desire to learn (curiosity) and a willingness to work to achieve a goal (ambition). Without those aspects, intelligence doesn't deliver results. Certainly intelligence would make walking a path easier, but it won't make a person want to walk the path, nor actually do the walking.

For the reasons mentioned above, business and education generally don't value IQ very much as it is not a predictor of success. As you get older, your achievements are a much better indicator. Consequently it is used to asses children's potential, and little else other than to satisfy curiosity.

Do people with lower IQ like say 70 talk different, talk more simple words, silly words and joking more than people with higher IQ?

More baby talk and silly talk?
[doublepost=1484774207][/doublepost]
Yes, although like I said, you might not notice it right away. It will eventually come through.

Do they come across more silly and immature?

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Do people with lower IQ like say 70 talk different, talk more simple words, silly words and joking more than people with higher IQ?

More baby talk and silly talk?
[doublepost=1484774207][/doublepost]

Do they come across more silly and immature?

Silly and immature seems to have more to do with personality than intelligence.

My wife is a teacher. She can usually tell within the first day of school which students are the brightest and which are the slowest. I think to try to boil it down to "baby talk and silly talk" is taking an overly simplistic view of it.

If you're going to notice someone has a high or low IQ simply by interacting with them, it's most clearly going to manifest itself in their cognitive abilities. Like I said, it's not all about personality traits or vocabulary. But once you start talking to someone - or, better yet, listening to them - you become aware of how quickly they pick up what you're saying, how easily they put their own thoughts into words, how well they can latch onto an idea and develop it or add to it, etc.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
IQ is best summed up by this.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad!

Bonus IQ point if you can tell me who I'm quoting!

I've heard the quote before in the context of Dungeons and Dragons

INT is knowing a tomato is a fruit
WIS is knowing not to put it in to a fruit salad

When I pointed out that salsa could be seen as a fruit salad, my DM at the time just smiled and said "And this is why you almost always make a Bard".

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I've heard the quote before in the context of Dungeons and Dragons

INT is knowing a tomato is a fruit
WIS is knowing not to put it in to a fruit salad

When I pointed out that salsa could be seen as a fruit salad, my DM at the time just smiled and said "And this is why you almost always make a Bard".
D&D. That takes me back about 30 years!
I'll put you out of your misery in a bit. See if anyone else gets it.

jaduff46

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2010
Second star on the right....
Agree with @c deerinck above. Having worked with and known lots of very bright people in my career, and having tested pretty well myself a couple of times (135-140), you can identify those who pick up things quickly, ask the next logical question, etc. and those who can't make the leap. Just as I'm not as quick as lots of others and recognize that.

Nothing negative about that, just requires more thought/effort perhaps to get to the same place.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Figure it yourself. 60 is retarded. 160 is genius. Most people fall somewhere in between, in the 120-140 range.
Most people absolutely do not fall around 120-140.

120 is considered well above average, 130 is gifted and 140 is superior (though names change based on which test and who administers it).

100 is average. As said above, most people are between 90-110.

And don't forget that 50% of the population will be measurably below 100.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.