Why is it 500 posts for avatars?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by halVORTEX, Sep 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halVORTEX macrumors newbie

halVORTEX

im just curious thats all is it a space thing? becuase i probably wont post that often and it seems like it would take a long time for me to achieve that rank

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

All in the FAQ. Basically it's to allow established users to be easily recognized among other forum users :)

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

personally i think it should be changed to being active for a year. that way you dont get spammers.

4. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

how would you define active. Would that be some who has most days for a year, or Someone who has Lurked for a year, but never posted?

It took me about 2 years to get 500 posts, I view MR most days but don't have the time to post every day, I feel I have earned my Avatar.

5. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

I agree. I can't tell you how many monosyllabic, off-topic, etc. posts I've seen.

I don't know that 500 posts should be the criteria vs. time on the site. I'd rather it be 2 years or 3 years to get an avatar than 500 posts.

:eek:

Not that it's my site, to begin with, but I've posted serious messages to this site, only to have people respond with nonsense. The only motive I can ascertain is to bump their post count.

6. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

But how would you define "active". Someone who post for a minimum of one year and has X amount of post? It could sorta work I guess. But there would have to be more to the criteria that just post count such as, you have to be a member for at least 1 year AND have X amount of post to qualify for an avatar. So someone who makes 500 posts (or whatever the minimum number is) in 6 months is not eligible for an avatar until their first one year anniversary here. And same for being here for 2 years (or whatever the minimum time would be) but only having 100 posts (or under the minimum amount) would not qualify for an avatar.

7. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Or just because they are bored and want to respond nonsense? Happens at my site all the time that they are bored and just post BS all over. Not for post count at all.

8. halVORTEX thread starter macrumors newbie

halVORTEX

well thanks for giving some answers they all pretty much make sense good to know theres method to the madness :)

9. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

That's really my point. Whether the motivation is boredom or to boost the post count, the result is the same.

Post count shouldn't necessarily equate with "value add."

BTW -- I'm not bored, and my post count is so far below 500 that this post won't make a difference. :rolleyes:

10. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Getting to 500 posts is not too difficult. I'm a testament to that. Just keep at it, you'll get your coveted avatar soon enough.

11. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

As someone who just got my avatar a day or two ago, I like the system :D

I think people that post nonsense just to up their post count need to get a life. Having a picture by your name is that big of a thrill?

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Depends on the 'tar. That's awesome Heb1228. :D

Congratulations.

13. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Thanks man, you like the Mr. T? haha.

I thought of another reason... usually if you get Mac advice from somebody seeing they have an avatar gives them a little more credibility, for me anyways. It makes it easy to quickly identify the people who probably know what they are talking about, IMHO.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Isn't that the truth.

Just remember that they need to be useful posts, not fluff as some other people have done occasionally. Spam will be deleted.

15. wnameth macrumors 65816

wnameth

I completely agree, i think it really helps with selling things in our market place too

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Very true to an extent. :)

17. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Yes. When I was new here, I often put more value into posts made by people with 'tars...

Of course, that doesn't mean that someone without a tar doesn't know what s/he's talking about. There's plenty of 'tar-less posters here that make great posts, and who really know their stuff.

I recognize many 'tar-less posters by their nick, since I usually find their posts interesting...

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

<<< Similarly, some people with 'tars seem to never know what they're talking about. :(

19. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Stop being so modest.
    mad jew, you are full of great advice (regardless if it pertains to Macs or not)! :)

20. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Agreed. madjew, Duff-Man and CanadaRAM give some of the best advice around here, IMHO.

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Isn't it a great thing that posting in this forum subtracts from your total number of posts? :p

22. thomasp macrumors 6502a

If you contribute to Macrumors (pay the $25, or however much it is), do you bypass the "500 posts minimum" for an avatar? (Can you get an avatar before 500 posts by contributing)

23. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

Maybe it should be a word count, say 10,000 words. That way the spammers would have to work even harder & those with something to say would get there quicker. :)

24. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No.

Does an avatar mean that much to you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.