Why is it that the drugs you take...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGary, Dec 19, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

To feel better make you feel like ****.

About this time every day (about 4 hours after taking my meds) I just want to roll into bed and sleep I am so tired. :rolleyes:

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

man you should have seen me when they put me on morphine patches for my headaches, made me sicker than i have ever been, took 3 days off from school before i could get back to living.

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Fortunately I've never needed to take pain medication long-term, but when I have been prescribed narcotics I've always hated taking them - they don't make the pain go away, they just make you sort-of-comfortably-numb-yet-sick.

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

hmm... i'm gonna sound like a wuss i guess... but nquill knocks me out worse than tequilla :D

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It's all about the trade-offs of 'quality of life'.

Personally, the meds I have to take have gotten to the point where I feel like my quality of life WITH them is lower than without them (since the only work marginally and totally SUCK) and it's time to pursue alternate avenues.

So now it's onto experimental NON-DRUG related therapies.

As for pain meds.. well, I still enjoy them :)

6. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Well I used to take Vicodin every day. And I still get a small supply for *cough* when my back hurts *cough* you know? ;)

I think it is the Xanax XR I take (I have generalized anxiety, which is definitely evident in my posting style :D ).

LOL. yes, iGary is a nut job. :p

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hehe.. I'm with you on that one.

I DON'T know how you can function on xanex. I always found that xanex makes conversation impossible (though 2 xanex heads holding a slurry-speech conversation can be pretty amusing), never mind day-to-day life.

For me, none of my meds are psychotropics, but they all have pretty severe side effects.. so severe that I quit smoking after 20 years JUST so I can get off the worst of them. I LOVED smoking! :(

8. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I MISS SMOKING TOO!!

7 years in July, though.

9. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

For every good, there is an equal and opposite "bad."

Blissfully drunk = hangover

Sugar-high happy = tired, drowsy, crash

Got a raise = more bills to pay

Apple releases new machine = wallet is lighter

and so on :D

10. vniow macrumors G4

Dunno, the only meds I'm on right now have made my thoughts a lot clearer, the only side effects are mood swings due to my body adjusting to them.

11. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Ahh Vicodin

Haven't had too much experience there but for a jawbone infection I had last Spring (aaaaaooooUUUUCH!)

Actually kind liked the effects of 1000mg of Vicodin EX. But I got tired of not being able to feel my head.

12. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

yeah, they haven't really figured out the pain thing yet- opiates and narcotics, and that's it.

one thing they did get right was sleeping pills- a pro insomniac like me could find a good nights sleep and a clear headed morning thanks to sonata. if only they could make them non-addictive.

13. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

Zoloft, oh hell how that messed me up completely. Buspar, on the other hand, works well for me, but I feel run down and drymouth on it sometimes

14. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Before my back surgery I was taking 4 5/500 Vikes a night just to sleep. I haven't had one in oh, probably two months. I still have the script ro Percocet from my surgery, and I took one the other night because my back was really stiff from playing clean out the closet. Kept me up all freaking night.

Vicodin used to nicely mellow me out for about two hours, then out like a light.

Mainly the Xanax is so I can concentrate. I've been on the same low dose for two years, so my body hasn't built a tolerance to it, which is good.

Anywho, it do make me tired around mid day.

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I too heart these.. <3 to Ambien for making my life better. So far I've done a pretty decent job of not becoming addicted. I try to limit it to once or twice a week now.

16. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

now that's one way to deal with headaches... kinda like killing flies with a sledgehammer. i'd like to have your doctor :D
    (not to impugn [your] headaches, i know what a menace they can be)

personally i think doctors have become paranoid misers with the pain med prescriptions but i still have a little allotment ;)

17. bartelby macrumors Core

The meds I'm on at the moment do that, but that's about all they do. They sure as hell don't do what they're meant to...

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I agree with this.. but I'm rather embarassed to ask for more, as I feel like it's hard to fully justify to myself the need. Tylonol takes the edge off most times, so that should be enough, right?

Pain management is a real problem in US Heathcare today, luckily there are some very intelligent MDs in a good positions to realize this and teach it to the next generation of MDs. Nice guy.

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

my drug of choice: Excedrin EXTRA strength Migrain......mostly everyday

Bless

20. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i've heard ambien is the least addictive, but sonata is all i've been on. i originally tried using a couple days treatment to "get back on schedule", but no dice. so now i just use them if i'm having a particularly hard time sleeping or have a particularly large amount of work to do the next day.

strange combo effect- zoloft made me wake up at 6:30 AM every day, regardless of how much sleep i had the night before. i'm pretty sure the rest i got when i was on both was the best since i was a kid.

insomnia sucks, no matter how glamorous "fight club" makes it out to be.

21. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That's the truth.

22. noaccess macrumors 6502

Noaccess used to take Zoloft, Xanax and Risperdal; now he's taking Effexor XR and Ativan sometimes, so...
    Noaccess is a HyperNutjob© :D

Don't ask... :eek:

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I love it when you take a headache medicine that says one of the side effects is headaches. Same with stomach meds. Make cause stomach aches. THEN WHY AM I TAKING IT!?! :rolleyes:

(I guess they just have to put that stuff on that bottle, but it doesn't make me feel any better)

24. bartelby macrumors Core

Not much fun when you get to Anti-depressants though.

Here's just a little section of the side effects of the meds I was on:

Psychiatric Disorders - Frequent: impairedconcentration, amnesia, apathy, depression, increased appetite, aggravated depression, suicide attempt, confusion. Infrequent: increased libido, aggressive reaction, paroniria, drug dependence, depersonalization, hallucination, euphoria, psychotic depression, delusion, paranoid reaction, emotional lability, panic reaction, psychosis. Rare: catatonic reaction, melancholia.

25. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I'm fairly nuts. I've been on Effexor for a few years now, but it's definitely helped my mood swings and depression. I always knew there was something wrong with my moods...come to find out I've prob been that way since I was 12 or 13. Damn alcoholic father. Now to work on my self-esteem.

Side effects: I was hoping I would have more energy, but I still enjoy a good nap most days. But damn don't skip a day...the dreams are FreaKY!@!!!! iGary I've found that when I get in that nap mood after lunch that if I get out and walk around the block I'll feel better and get more done in the afternoon.