Why is macrumors spamming me?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Wes, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

OK I have not been to the More Mac Sightings thread for days (Wdlove posting just about every mac he has seen on tv in history :p). But still I get these emails, in which say I will not get another notification unless I visit the thread. WHHHYYY?

I already have enough emails about increasing my bust size, I don't need these....

Attached Files:

2. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I think it depends on every time you visit MacRumors, the site (or forums only), not when you visit the thread.

3. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

"There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more
    notifications until you visit the board again."

Yeah that seems right, but wouldn't that mean that I would get hundreds of emails from all the threads I have ever posted in each time somebody replied after I had visited the board?

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

Check your profile. Are you subscribed to any threads? If so, unscribe from all of them.

Also, in your profile options, make certain you selected "No" from all questions about wanting to receive subscriptions or emails after every time you post.

5. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

I want to be subscribed to the threads, I just don't want to get 5 e-mails from a thread I haven't visited for ages.

6. dstorey macrumors 6502a

i get the same problem, i'll go to bed and log in in the morning and have like 4 folding ranking emails, 5 origins of you user name etc, and obviously when i was asleep i wasnt visiting the thread or even macrumours page. It only stated doing this maybe a month ago or so...

I can only think that maybe it is sending a mail for every reply i've made, ie if i posted five times in one threat possibly it is sending five emails instead of one everytime foir example...but who knows

7. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

When you post to a thread, the system sends you an email every time someone posts to that thread. I presume this is to see if they replied to your post. There should be an option in your profile to turn this notification off. And I don't think turning notification off will unsubscribe you from the threads.

8. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

I think it's a sign...

I think there's an ancient story about the rituals behind MacRumors where moderators cast lots for their favorite MR member. Whomever was the lucky individual would receive all the spam from the site.

Over time casting for lots changed to a simple, blindfolded, lightening round of GO FISH and UNO. Well, Wes, I guess you're "the lucky one". :D

9. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

in Mail, i wrote a rule that sends all my mac forums mailer notifications into its own folder. it's very convenient for periodic mass deletions :D

10. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

Here we go again...

Arn you have any opinion if you are reading this?

Attached Files:

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

Re: I think it's a sign...

>Over time casting for lots changed to a simple, blindfolded, lightening round of GO FISH and UNO. (GeneR)

So this doesn't include 52 card pick up, does it?

To get arn's attention a little quicker, in the future, you may want to email him. He knows the boards and the codes better than anyone else here, because he put up Macrumors.com.

He also "put up" PCrumors.com. :)

12. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

hey, i just got this too. i got the exact same notification 2 times, at the same time. that is odd. wouldn't call it spam, but hey...

13. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I had the same problem...

I got really pissed because my mail box was filling waaayyy too fast.

Did you ever post at the beggining of a discussion and never come back to it. Like the Al Gore homepage thread, I visited it 3 times. I got like 150+ mailings.

there needs to be a way to stop that. I'm sure it would cut down bandwidth by alot too. :eek:

14. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Interesting...

I don't THINK I've had that problem. However, I do empty my MR mail pretty often. It's worth looking into...

On a lighter note, maybe Wes is spamming MR and that's their way of saying "Hi" back? he he he jk Don't spam me! :D

15. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Re: Interesting...

haha, nah he posts an average 1.1 a day so I don't think so.

16. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

I suppose...

I suppose the next logical argument is to turn to Wes and say:

"You you you, it's all about you, isn't it?" :D
    Just kidding, Wes! I just couldn't resist. :D

By the way, Wes, (I may be saying this out of Avatar-envy, so don't take it too seriously! :D) why does your eskimo look like a chipmunk flapping its arms? :D

17. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

we call that unsubscribing from a thread, it's at the bottom of every page in every thread.

18. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

Re: I suppose...

It's supposed to be funny, but I'm changing my tar soon, so if you have ideas, Pm me :D. Well I'm glad I'm not alone in my problems. And about posting 1.1 times a day. I lived with 56k for the first year of my membership and I posted like once a month, since then I have got broadband and I guessed a post about 5 times a day. It's sad isn't it, I've been a member for about 1.75 years, more than most, but still Shadowfax here (randomly chosen example) has been a member for 6 months and has about tripple my posts. I guess I'm not a spammer. ;)

19. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Re: Re: I suppose...

Actually, I like your 'tar. It gives me a certain happy-go-lucky je ne sais quoi? Anyway, I wouldn't be the person to make suggestions since I have no idea what to do when I eventually get mine... eventually... :D