Why is Microsoft Office Soooo Sloooooow?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SRSound, Sep 6, 2005.

1. SRSound macrumors 6502

Why is Microsoft Office Soooo Sloooooow? Everything is taking much much longer then it used to on my old PC. My mac is incredibly powerful and fast when it comes to audio processing, but I can't move a text box or resize a picture in a Word document without getting a pinwheel! Can I allocate more memory to the program or something? Is there anything that can be done (short of buying another program)? This is killing me softly!

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Going from 1GB to 2GB of RAM really helped the speed of Office on my machine. Although some times, simple tasks do seem to take a long time to complete. Its rarely ever slow enough on mine to be annoying. What version of office are you using and what version of OS X?

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Becuz its MS, but i use NeoOffice and its slow crazy slow but its free so i can't complain( and not Ms crap on my Mac :p )

Try more RAM that always helps!!( and if it does not help it will speed up other stuff

4. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Also, check to make sure you have the latest updates from the Office website.

5. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

It's sad that you'd need 2GB of Ram to make office run well on a mac. :mad:

Microsoft Office X on 10.2.8, 1 GB works fine for me - no pinwheels.... (even with other programs open.

You could always try reinstalling - what are you trying to do with it when it pinwheels? If you can run audio fine, that shouldn't be a problem. There's a lot of updates on the MS site for Office X and for Office 2004.... they don't automatically update so you might want to try making sure you're up to date.

6. SRSound thread starter macrumors 6502

I use Office 2004 (student teacher eddition) and Im running Tiger (with all updates). It's just so strange that little tasks would take so long. Currently I'm just inserting some pictures into a word document (nothing new, nothing huge, done it thousands of times without problem on PC). I will look for updates though, and hope to get lucky.

7. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I don't think you really need that much RAM. I get all kinds of delays using Office 2004 on my dual 2.0 GHz G5 with 1.5 GB of RAM, and there's plenty of RAM unused. Same on my 800 MHz PowerBook. Often I'll get the SBBOD and a 3-second delay just opening a small, text-only Word document. No, it is bad coding, pure and simple. If I had programmers working for me who turned out release code like this, I'd fire them.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Turn off Auto-correct from the Tools menu if you want a pretty significant speed up. And then, if you want to take it even further, turn off the live spell-check too.

However, I have Office X on my 800MHz G4 iBook with only 640MB of RAM and it handles it extremely well, with both of these functions still on. How big are the documents you are using?