Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Indo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
Northern, VA
my airport was acting up and causing problems, and after resetting and reconfiguring the network and tweaking some settings, i have it to pretty much what it was previously. i don't remember however, how i got the airport singal to be boosted. the airport is in the next room, i don't understand how the signal could be anything less than 100%. before i reset/reconfigured and when the airport was working normally, the signal was always 100%.

how can i boost my signal? interference robustness is on.

do you need any details on my network set up?

TIA

-Indo

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
Indo said:
how can i boost my signal? interference robustness is on.

For a long time I was wondering why a AlBook wasn't getting any signal in a certain room when others were (in fact they were at near 100%). At first I just chalked it up to the fact that the metal PowerBooks don't get as good of reception as the iBooks. But then by some weird chance Interference Robustness was turned off, and voila, it had signal.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I always get a low signal. and i always use Interference Robustness. and i have a set (dunno the Ghz) of wireless digital phones in the house.
the actual quality is 20%. frequently cuts off. but hey the routers on the other side of the house.
oh and the metal casing of the PowerBook doesn't help!

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
You could also try making sure all the physical connections to the AE card are seated correctly. I had an iMac give me very little signal after I didn't plug it in fully. Can't hurt to try.

Indo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
Northern, VA
doubt it's the card itself. it was already in there as a BTO option, and has before gotten 100% signal.

wonder what setting it was...

anyone want to know my network set up? could it be an issue?

-Indo

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Whilst you won't get 100% reception in the room next to an AirPort, however, you should get very good reception all the same. Is the reception an issue with all computers on the network?

I know you reset the AirPort once, but have you tried resetting it again? Leave it unplugged for about 15-20 seconds to let it completely reset.

We need to establish whether this is a broadcast (AirPort station) or reception (Mac) problem if you haven't already. :)

Indo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
Northern, VA
my network set up is as follows:

Computers:

Powermac G5 w/ airport card

Mac mini no airport card

iBook G3 no airport card

Wireless Devices:

One Airport Extreme Base Station (dome) set as base station

One Airport Express set as extender of the network

Connections:

Powermac G5 gets its signal from the base station, as it is closer than the airport express (or i think that's how it is)

iBook G3 is connected directly to the Airport Express via ethernet and receives internet through there

Mac mini connected to the Airport base station and gets internet directly from there (i guess to the LAN port?)

Verizon DSL modem connected directly to the WAN port via ethernet to the airport extreme base station and supplies internet

when G5 has been experiencing weird problems such as extremely low signal, no internet, internect constantly disconnecting, and other things the other computers didn't seem to be affected.

is there a problem with my G5?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Probably not this simple but...

When someone uses the microwave at my house, it completely kicks all wireless signals. :eek: I have also heard that some cordless phones will do the same.

Indo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
Northern, VA
devilot76 said:
When someone uses the microwave at my house, it completely kicks all wireless signals. :eek: I have also heard that some cordless phones will do the same.

doubt it...microwave isn't on 24/7 and interference robustness is on.

-Indo

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
Indo said:
doubt it...microwave isn't on 24/7 and interference robustness is on.

Did you try shutting it off to see if it improves the signal? Like I said for me it worked (probably because we don't have any fancy cordless phones). My guess for the reason why it does that (though I really don't know for sure) is because when you turn on interference robustness what it's doing is ignoring the weaker radio signals that would interfere and only listens to the stronger ones, which thus lowers the signal strength.

Indo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
Northern, VA
reconfigured both, changed the channel and it's working fine so far.

will post back if it's not.

-Indo

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Ye i used to have the problem with wireless in my house but it has been solved by changing the channle the wireless router works on, i find channel's 1-5 work very well....

ShadOW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.