Why is my iPhone 4 so slow?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LWP777, Jun 2, 2011.

1. macrumors member

I upgraded to the 4 from the 3Gs a couple of months ago and I've noticed that everything seems to be slower on the iPhone 4. For example:

1. When I answer a call, it takes a lot longer to open up the screen that will allow me to click "speaker."

2. When I switch between things like email and texts it is really slow to open that screen.

3. I've seen some lag while inputting text for emails and text messages.

The phone is not jailbroken and it's a 16G. I only have 3G available memory left. Could that be the issue?

Any ideas?

2. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Might be because you used/transfered your 3GS backup onto your new iphone 4.
    I'd restore and setup as new phone. You should notice a big improvement.
    Also its good to restart the phone once in a while.

3. macrumors 603

saving107

Double click on your Home Button and clear your Multitask tray, I'm not saying that this will fix your problem, but its a start.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I think I did do that. How do I do this but get my contacts, emails, and apps the way I want them?

5. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

You can sync your contacts to your computer and then copy them back using itunes. Same thing with your apps, they're all there on your library.
    Your emails, texts and any game progress will be gone though.
    Up to you.

6. thread starter macrumors member

So if I do this what exactly am I getting rid of? Is it just all the old junk that came over from the 3Gs? I'm confused.

7. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Yes, you're setting it up as a new phone.
    All the stuff and configuration from your 3GS wont transfer over to the new iphone 4 and bugs and issues that could copy from old backups will be eliminated.
    Give it a try, your backup is still there so you if you feel the need to restore from backup at a later time you have the option.
    But I personally like to setup as new phone even after firmware updates.

8. macrumors 65816

just make sure you go through and sync the phone with Outlook or a similar program to save all your contacts, notes, etc. You have to click those options in the Info section of iTunes. Also save your pictures.

If you do it all right, you wonlt lose much. As mentioned, just your text messages and user data. Meaning High scores on angry birds will be gone, stuff like that.

9. thread starter macrumors member

Well I have Mobile Me so all my contacts, bookmarks, etc. should be easy to get back on the phone after I restore.

10. macrumors 68020

Reach9

it's to get you to upgrade to iPhone 5, jk :p

But if you have everything backed up, and don't mind going through all your games again, then go for it! Your iPhone 4 should run perfectly smooth!

11. macrumors G5

Consultant

Upgraded from 3GS last summer. iPhone 4 is faster in every way.

1. sync to backup
    2. restore latest firmware
    3. test
    4. sync to restore
    5. test

12. thread starter macrumors member

Done! Things are running WAY faster and I now have 9 GB free. Thanks so much for the help guys.