Why is my iTunes 7 so laggy?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by snakelda, Sep 17, 2006.

1. snakelda macrumors 6502

I had iTunes 6 and it ran smooth and I updated to iTunes 7 and it lags quite a bit.Anyone know what the problem could be?I have Windows Media Center if it matters.....

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It runs really well on Macs but yeah, I've found 7.0 quite slow on my PC too. Since when did it need time to load my library? :(

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

4. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

Yes iTunes is much more processor intensive. It was using 20% of my dual cpu cycles until I turned look for album art off. I have a few albums with no artwork and I guess it keeps looking. The visualizer is also more demanding. I can't get more than 28 frames per second driving my 20 inch LCD.

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Beta isn't the word for it. Let's say that the developers learn what code they need and don't need and they perfect the program

7. D*I*S_Frontman macrumors 6502

iTunes 7 is completely buggy for me. Visualizer doesn't work, and album art shows up when it feels like. Windows hiccup like the thing is starved for RAM, but Activity Monitor shows plenty of RAM available. Even with nothing else running, it is a total dog.

I got burned by SWU this time fer sure...

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Interestingly, it's got worse for me since I first installed it. It's acting like there's a memory leak, but as D*I*S_Frontman said, it doesn't seem to be taking up a considerable amount. Weird. I'm gonna keep my eye on this one and see if it's clashing with another app or something. :(

9. lurcher macrumors regular

lurcher

One thing that has helped mine is to go into the iTunes store, go to the Advanced menu and click 'get artwork'. With mine it began to go thru my 7k tracks and it took a good half hour to grab the artwork required. Since then it seems a bit better, tho still not as fly as iTunes 6 :cool:

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't have any artwork and I have it set to not find artwork. I'd have thought this would be the optimal speed setting, but maybe not.