Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m021478

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
I have an Airport Extreme on the basement floor of my triplex apartment, which provides decent wireless coverage for the lowest two floors, but the top floor has always gotten very bad wireless signal.

So I purchased an Airport Express which I have connected hardwired to an ethernet cable on the top floor (that runs directly to the airport extreme). I've configured the Airport Express to extend my existing wireless network (the one created by the Airport Extreme in the basement.

I am primarily concerned about getting good wireless signal strength to two wireless network webcams on the top floor, and I've recently noticed that one is getting great signal and the other is getting poor signal... upon closer inspection, I noticed that the one getting good signal was connecting to my airport express and the one getting bad signal was for some unknown reason connecting to the airport extreme in the basement. I've verified this by observing which MAC addresses appear listed under the 'Wireless Clients' panel of the Airport Utility (for both the Airport Express & Extreme devices).

--------------------

What I would like to know is if there is anyway that I can somehow force both of my wireless webcams to ONLY connect to the Airport Express (on the top floor of my apartment), and not the Airport Extreme (on the basement floor)?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

masteroflondon

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
London, UK
I'm confused when you say you 'extended the wireless' and also you 'hardwired' it. Assuming you're not relaying wireless, why not just create another wifi from the new Airport, with a different name? Then tell your devices to join that network and forget the other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.