Why is "Politics" not listed under discussions on front page?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chip NoVaMac, May 8, 2004.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Being a newbie of sorts here, I wonder why political discussions are not listed on the home page? This thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=834251#post834251 was closed under Current Events.

This thread was tame by most standards.

I will say that for the most part I try to stay out of threads that have reached over 100+ posts. It gets to hard to follow.

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

That sentence ends in a period, not a question mark. To wonder is not to question. To wonder is to declare a state of mind. Declarations end with a period.

Political discussions have a high tendency to trigger sensitive areas of many registered users here, much higher tendency than discussions of Mac/PC rumors, or PC trolls. Hence, any topic discussions related to them are thrown into the lion cage-- I mean, Political forum. As some registered forum members have noticed, many political threads have sparked discussions with at least one sensitive-area-based topic, and thus is kept away from the central idea of this site: Discussion of Mac news/rumors, and/or their related components (computers, hardware, software, etc.).

3. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sorry but it seems that the "grammar police" have struck again. Not much different from the "politically correct" police.

Given that the referenced post was 2 days old, and had just over 20+ posts, some of the "tendencies" you reference seem to be missed placed.

Beyond that, there was not mention in your reply as to why "Political" discussions are not listed under the form discussion groups on the Mac Rumors home-page.

Maybe another question is why is there not a "Repeated Questions" section? How many "Which is better the PB 12" or 12" iBook" should be allowed? Or any other often posted topic for that matter.

Should not have under your comments this thread been moved to "Politics"?: http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?searchid=108790 or maybe this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=834289#post834289

4. acidrock macrumors 6502

I believe there used to be a seperate forum on the main pager for P&W Dis but after the redesign of the forum it was moved as a sub folder/ forum. My guess is that there were a lot of forums on the main page so they put it in the community folder. I can't really tell why they did this though

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't think it should be. This is MacRumors, and although it's good to have all the various forums for things not always Mac, the main page should be Mac oriented, and not political.

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

(Chip NoVaMac) --> Sorry but it seems that the "grammar police" have struck again. Not much different from the "politically correct" police.

It's becoming a bit of a pet peeve of mine to see statements like: "I wonder why this is not allowed...?" end with a question mark instead of the (correct form) period. Lately, there have been a few posters doing that, and I wanted to make that distinction clear.

--> there was not mention in your reply as to why "Political" discussions are not listed under the form discussion groups on the Mac Rumors home-page.

I may not have said so directly...I think this is a more direct statement: Since the Political forums have topics that may be sensitive to some, any such related discussion is not posted on the macrumors front page.

--> Maybe another question is why is there not a "Repeated Questions" section? How many "Which is better the PB 12" or 12" iBook" should be allowed?

There was a previous rant about this before. Given the variety of opinions in the thread (mine included), I have no idea how many should be allowed...probably depends on the tolerance of the administration to allow lazyness of other posters, as well.

--> Should not have under your comments this thread been moved to "Politics"?: http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?searchid=108790

"No matches found."
    And, regardless, I don't understand the question you asked.

7. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I still wonder why anybody comes to a Mac Rumors site to talk about politics? :p

8. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Question marks at the end of these statements can be useful when the statement is meant to be rhetorical and sarcastic. When the "I wonder why..." phrase is used with this tone in conversation, the interrogative intonation is often used. It is useful when typing to substitute in the question mark to express this vocal inflection.

For example, "Oh, I wonder why you don't eat uranium? Oh! That's right! Because it will kill you!"

I think in these instances, you could go either way, really.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

With the grammar squad running around creating problems, I think you're going to have to directly ask the person starting this thread that question.

They obviously think politics should be a more visible part of this forum.

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

This has got to be one of the silliest threads I've seen in a while.

grammar police - ha! People need to relax a bit.

As for Political links on the front page - it should be obvious, this is a mac forum, not a poli-sci forum. And all the posts in the political forum don't count towards post count is another indicator that its not really supposed to be part of the site. Its existence is purely out of tolerance and convenience for site management, since people will muddy up the community forum with circular arguments about who's right and wrong.

I have suggested that all controversial discussion be placed in that one forum - so that would also include religion and the ever present Mac VS PC debate....

Bleh,

D

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

Flow[p]ee, don't trigger me... - (Flowbee added to ignore list)

(themadchemist) --> When the "I wonder why..." phrase is used with this tone in conversation, the interrogative intonation is often used. It is useful when typing to substitute in the question mark to express this vocal inflection.

Ahh, yes, the "interrogation of wonder." If someone posts a comment with regard to wondering, like, "I wonder what the specs will be for..." and ends the statement with either punctuation, then the person expects someone to respond addressing the comment with some information. It's a way of asking the question: "What will the specs be for...?" but in a less demanding or urgent manner. So one uses the "wonder" connotation to make the question seem less demanding. But then the reworded sentence from "What will [etc.]" to "I wonder what [etc.]" becomes a declaration, not an interrogation. The declaration is of a state of mind (wondering) and thus doesn't need to be answered. That's the confusing twist to the "interrogation of wonder," in which someone rewords a question into a statement, then puts a question mark at the end to justify any reason that someone has for "asking" nicely. Though, in wondering, you don't ask. The confusing part is when you browse posts online with similar "I wonder..." statements that conclude with differing punctuations and try to decipher from the sentence context which one is correct. (To me, it gets annoying ...nice going Flowbee...)

The funny part about all this is: I asked my College Writing professor about the same type of issue six months ago, and she couldn't tell me which quotation was the right one.

Mr. A, think about it like this: This thread is a lot more productive than some of the B.S. going on in the political discussions. To some people this thread is even a relief from politics. (All right, you can close the thread now.)

12. 18thTomorrow macrumors 6502

Because...

Political discussion is in its own sub-forum simply because many of us would prefer to stay away from potentially inflammatory subjects. I, for one, seeing a topic that refers to a debate I was interested in or an opinion I disagreed strongly with, would most likely be pulled into reading that topic. Keeping that kind of thing in a different sub-forum removes all temptation; I only go there if I want to participate in political discussion!
    B.

13. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I'm not sure if you meant this as a joke or an insult. Either way, you should be very embarrassed.

(The humor police can be just as tough as the grammar police.)

14. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I don't disagree with you on the grammar of it all. "I wonder" should definitely be followed by a period. However, I was just simply pointing out that in oral conversation, the intonation used with an "I wonder" sentence is often more similar to that used for a question than for a declaration. You have stated some of the reasons for this above. The real issue, then, becomes whether an online forum is meant to mimic oral conversation or written conversation. Some would argue that the former is more expressive and useful for the informal discussions characteristic of a board such as this.

Now that we are thoroughly off topic, I wonder if this thread will be closed.

15. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

king cobra, i hope you realize that language is a constantly evolving medium that is adopted to fit the needs of it's society and the traits of it's speakers? Like ending statements with question marks? It's common use, and it would be a serious problem if language stopped evolving, to be set according to 100 year old rules only.

Do some research into sociology and linguistics, then you can start acting superior because you go against common use.

I think i'll follow you around in the forums for a while, pointing out every grammatical inaccuracy in your posts. What's good for the goose...

paul

16. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sorry that I stirred up the nest.

The particular thread I wrote about I didn't see as being overly political. It did seem to discussing a hot topic in current events in very civil tones. Unless I missed it , there wasn't the ranting of the left or right. That thread was no more political than the WTC groundbreaking or the man with the teddy bear thread.

I asked my original question, since we were directed the political sub-forum for that type of discussion. I understand the need to maintain control and a certain decorum. And I was just curious as to why those topics weren't on the main page.

What i love about Macrumors is the very free flowing expression. Sometimes discussion on current events is a nice change of pace. Sometimes you even learn something form the differing viewpoint.

17. King Cobra macrumors 603

(paulwhannel) --> I think i'll follow you around in the forums for a while, pointing out every grammatical inaccuracy in your posts.

oooh cool... i'm gonna have another stalker [​IMG] [​IMG]

No, I'm not used to the idea of constantly changing linguistics.

BTW: (<-- change in linguistics, no need to point that out) You probably won't be able to follow many more of my new posts, as I'm getting sick of the politics, the arguments, and having to go through arguments with 25% or so of all my recent posts (like, since a month ago). (Basically, I'm getting sick of the forums.) I'm tired of all the arguments and having to deal with them. I have better things to do than argue on here 25% or so of the time. So go on, follow all my posts from now on and correct everything (oh, and there are many other archived posts that you can correct); see if I'm in the mood to argue anymore.

18. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I think we should have another forum not on the main page in which post count is not tallied. The Grammar Nazi Forum. In it we can ruthlessly slam each other for our different language usage styles. :rolleyes:

19. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

BEcause it is one of the few places you can have an intelligent conversation about politics... well more intelligent than not ;)

20. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

While that is true for formal writing it is not true for conversational writing.

And you can starts sentences with "and" too! You can also have one word sentences. EEK!

21. King Cobra macrumors 603

(*sigh*)

Obviously, you didn't read the part in which I mentioned that the misue of wondering statement quotations was a pet peeve of mine. For whatever reason, my focus is set on that issue and has been for a long time, actually. I don't have a problem with people beginning sentences with "and," one word sentences, or the phrase "LOL," because I know that's casual dialect (i.e. disregard for textbook grammatical rules), and I'm fine with that...sharpshooter. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now, for the record, I don't regularly choose to argue...the "*sigh*" above was with regard to having to point out to Neserk that I wouldn't have posted the "paragraph" if he read my earlier grammatical rants more carefully.

22. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

yep.

cool. It wasn't just a FYI for you. That is a common misconception among many Americans. It must have been a pet peeve for our English teachers. Because I was taught it was incorrect.

23. Awimoway macrumors 65816

:p Glass houses and all that rot.

24. King Cobra macrumors 603

My College Professor's pet peeve is implicit usage of the word "this" in which the "this" has no direct reference. For example:

"This explains why the pirates didn't kill Hamlet."

Kinda funny, since the professor gave two short lectures on the usage of the word: The first lecture was informative and calm, but the second got ugly.

All right, so I've just been own3d there. Nice. And, yeah, this thread has gone off-topic.?!

25. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

My High School English teacherfromhell's pet peeve was the use of the words "a lot" his bigger pet peeve was when people spelled it incorrectly "alot" or "allot." Needless to say I never spell it incorrectly and I use it all the time :p I couldn't stand him!