Why is Quicktime pro so awful at exporting

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DerChef, Dec 31, 2005.

1. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

Santa got me a new 5G 60 Gb iPOD couldnt wait to get all my episodes of "tripping the Rift" on there. :p

30 Min episode the dam thing is still trashing away after 3 hours (only 50% done) and the CPU fan is going like an industrial vacume cleaner. :eek

Thought this iPOD video idea is a total sham.

Searched the net and got this freeware "iSquint" converted it in Real Time with no dramas :eek:

Quicktime Pro a bit like .Mac wish I hadnt forked out all the money now :mad:

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I'd never heard of this app before thanks for the heads up!

3. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

The h.264 codec, used in QuickTime Pro 7, is very complex and takes lots of cpu power to encode. Thats the reason it take such a long time.
    iSquint use a different codec, x264, which seems to encode faster than h.264. I dont know if the quality is comparable though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X264

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I'd agree Quicktime Pro is a pretty awful app. There's a bug where when you export non-square DV video, it comes out as 320x213 and doesn't recognize DV pixel aspect ratios. The slowness, as the above poster mentioned, is due to H.264 and as yet, until it can interface with a video card GPU, it shall remain pretty slow, even on a dual G5.

You can try Podner can encode to MPEG-4.

5. DerChef thread starter macrumors 6502

DerChef

At the moment I am trying various compression levels and also with with H.264 ticked in iSquint and its still making a much better job of it.

er um comparable quality on an iPOD screen:eek: