Why is Safari asking to store my Gmail password?

Discussion in 'OS X' started by devburke, Jun 19, 2009.

1. devburke
    Expand Collapse

I only have AutoFill set to use info from my Address Book card. So why does Safari prompt me to store my Gmail password in my keychain?

Attached Files:

2. angelwatt
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It says the information is in your keychain, not in Safari. Safari just wants to access it. Maybe keychain has it from a local Google app you have installed like Google Desktop or Google Notify. Open up Keychain to see more info on what Google item you have there.

3. birdlun
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

I googled for a keychain access issue and it brings me to this post. Details of my issue is as below (the person posting it is not me but I got the same problem)

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10953469

"when i added a google calendar caldav ical account, it stored the login info in my login keychain. now, every time i attempt to login into google for anything, safari prompts for keychain access. if i allow it, it autofills the caldav user/pass info which is not necessarily the info i want to use to login. has anyone found a way around this annoyance? if only keychain had an "always deny" option... "

What the karapolice and I want is to stop safari from accessing the specific keychain information for CalDAV, while keeping other keychain access same as usual. Is it possible to do that?
    :confused:

4. pit29
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

pit29

I think you can make some settings when you enable the detail view of the alert asking for permission?

5. birdlun
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

Thanks Pit29 but I really don't see there's anything I can make change......any specific stuff that I can try. Many thanks.

6. birdlun
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

Push. Any keychain expert here that could offer help? :(

7. MisterMe
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G4

MisterMe

Use the Keychain Access utility to Google entry.

8. maggiefleur
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

If you go to Safari -> Preferences -> Autofill and uncheck all the boxes, it will stop prompting you for keychain access.

9. devburke
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter Guest

That works, but what if I want Safari to keep doing autofill for info in my address card?