Why is Safari crap for help files?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dogbone, Apr 10, 2006.

1. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

If you call up an html help file like any from the creative suite for example, command clicking on a link does not open the link in a new tab but instead just opens another index page.

Works fine in Firefox.

Is is possible to make Safari work properly in this regard?

2. eduo macrumors member

I don't have CS around here at the moment (I'm in the office) but this happens a lot when links trigger JavaScript events instead of proper URLs. Firefox is a little better than Safari doing this (although it doesn't catch them all).

I had a problem like this in the tree shown for navigation in my gallery. Links trigger javascript events instead of URLs (because of the way the tree is constructed) so no browser can open in new tabs (they open blank).

This might have a lot to do with the CS's HTML help being crappily coded, too.

Still, you should feel thankful that it's behaving at all. Parallel's help system opens a *NEW* instance of Safari regardless of what you have already opened and in some cases (especially if you have Saft and other plug-ins installed) this can cause Safari to be deleted (!) leaving only an icon called Safari.app but the folder contents empty (size 0). I have to keep a copy of Safari around just because of this.