Why is site so slow?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by emac82, Feb 25, 2007.

1. emac82 macrumors 6502

The last few days it seems like these forums are very slow. I have been on it on a few different computers, so I know it's not my Internet or computer.

Like, when I click reply it can take like 30 seconds to pop up, and when I hit submit it takes forever..

Is anyone else having this problem? Is this normal?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

We had a couple of problems a few days ago, but as far as I know, everything has been straightened out. The forums have been pretty snappy for me all day.

Linky

3. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Heavy traffic currently because the ad and they were having problems which were resolved.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The server load is running pretty high right now and is still rising. So yes, there may be some sluggishness in the short-term. But things are still pretty good for me.

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

made some adjustments.

it was a combination of the iPhone ad and another story dugg directly into a forum thread.

Should be ok for now...

Attached Files:

6. emac82 thread starter macrumors 6502

I find it is still running slow. Like, when I clicked on this thread to check to see who responded, it took at least 15 seconds to load, and that's a long time. If it was just my computer then I wouldn't be complaining, but even when I reply to a post it gives me an error?

Edit: When I clicked "submit post" It was 20 seconds to actually post this message.

Is it just me?

7. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

its not just you, but when 2 stories get to the front page of digg, normally that would crash a server!

Arn, Why didn't you digg the stories?? lol :p ;)

8. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Two stories pointing to macrumors.com wouldn't have hurt the site much. The front page can handle a lot of traffic.

It was the direct link into the forums in addition to a popular front page story (which also drove people into the forums).

The forums are database heavy, and while relatively well optimized, but it can only handle so much traffic in a burst.

arn