Why is the 8GB Nano only in BLACK?!?!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by MacBoySeattle, Sep 12, 2006.

1. MacBoySeattle macrumors member

Why, why, why? For $50 more than the 4gb, the 8gb is a steal, but only in black? I'm getting a 4gb then :eek:

2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, Apple seems to have something with black products - just like how the black MacBook is $200 more than the white one, but doesn't have $200 worth of upgrades over its white counterpart. ;)

3. MacBoySeattle thread starter macrumors member

Hey black is fine, just let me buy a green 8 gb too!! :D Bastards, well I shouldn't complain :cool:

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

It used to be that just having an iPod or iBook was enough of a status symbol for some that were into that kind of stuff.

Now that iPods and MacBooks are way more common, I'm guessing Apple's using the black models to put the status symbol back into the line.

"Oh, you have a [MacBook/Nano]. Cool. Oh. It's [any color other than black?] Really? Ewwwww." j/k :)

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, at least it's not as bad as the MacBooks - going from a 60GB to an 80GB HDD on the white MacBook is only a $50 upgrade - yet Apple wants $200 more for the black model with that same HDD, resulting in the consumer paying $150 for the color. ;)

But in this case, yeah, if you're buying the high end iPod nano and shelling out that much money, you think Apple would give you some options as with the other models. ;)

6. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    To quote the movie Ice Pirates "I wanted him to be perfect"

7. MacBoySeattle thread starter macrumors member

Dude, that's the whole thing. It's not even a whole lot of money. It's only $50 more for a 8gb. I'd drop $50 like a bad habit, IF I could the 8gb in green. Oh well sux2bapple :D I'm getting a 4gb.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Don't worry, you're preaching to the choir. ;) :cool:

9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Ya, it's not only costing them upsells, but sales alltogether. I would have snagged an 8gb Pink nano for my wife for Xmas (she has a 1G 10gb iPod atm :eek:), but it doesn't exist, so no sale...

She won't go for anything smaller than an 8gb - for her the 10gb is actually about perfect and she says that if she got a new iPod it would have to be at least that big or bigger, but she loves my nano and she'd forgive 2gb for a pink one... but she won't trade 6gb for it.

So, I suppose she's gonna get jewelry or something lame like that! ;)

10. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Classic case of upselling

"What's that sir? You want a colour other than Silver, but you only need 2GB of storage? You'll be needing to go for the 4GB then " :rolleyes:

"What's that sir? You want a black one but you'll still only use 2GB? You'll be needing to go for that shiny 8GB one then" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Apple seems to really love this new thing of making Black the new 'exclusive'

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Your poor wife... missing out on a cool gift like that... :(

;)

12. MacBoySeattle thread starter macrumors member

I think profit margins might be lower on the 8gb than the 4gb. Maybe thats why? They might want to make the 4gb the defacto standard.

13. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Except that I think they over-estimate the desirability of black iPods... I mean to say that if you want a cool black iPod for $250 the iPod video may very well be just as appealing. The nano market, since it doesn't do movies, games, etc, seems to be casual, lower priced customers, people who colors are a big deal for: else why do colored nanos? BUT, by making the 8gb reasonably price yet only in back, they are potentially losing sales, not making them... or that's how I see it anyways.

Now, I could have seen them doing a silver 2gb, a white and black 4gb, and a range of color 8gb models. That would make some sense... cheap basic model, a classic midrange unit, and the new, hip colorful high end nano.

14. other macrumors 6502

I hate the fact that people use Apple products as "status symbols". I'm kind of interested in the nano, but I'm not sure if 8 GB is enough. And if I had the choice of all colors I would still choose black, but buying a black nano would just make me feel like I want to show off. Why aren't they all available in all colors?

I might go for the 30 GB iPod though. Storage and video vs. durability (flash memory) and battery time... Damn.

15. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

$250 is a bit expensive, so 8GB model probably will not sell in as high numbers as the others, so stocking many colors of it would be too costly for Apple.

16. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

The 4gb nano was $250 and I'm pretty sure it sold very, very well. I could be wrong, but the numbers are all out there if you care to look.

17. Hodapp macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

[​IMG]

I'd rather have had the Nano in white... but, it's not going to ruin my day.

18. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

^ Why are you rich? :(

I think mrgreen4242 makes a very good point: forcing the 8GB to be in black doesn't make it desirable enough when you can just get the black video iPod.

Hopefully it won't take long for them to bring all the colors to the 8GB version. I've been waiting for 8GB since the announcement of the iPod Mini. It's why I still don't have an iPod!!

Ideally: yellow iPod Nano with 8GB.
    Second: blue iPod Nano with 8GB.
    Third: black iPod Nano with 8GB.

(unless a touch-widescreen-ed video iPod comes out in January.)

19. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

I agree with you 100% colors will be more popular than the black so there is no real upsale benefit. It's probably like someone said earlier. The profit margins might be lower on the 8gb than the 4gb or they are going to wait till millions of people buy 4GB nanos in color then announce in a few months that they have the 8GB nanos in color too. Lame move on Apples part.:rolleyes:

Edit: If Apple really wanted to make the Black Nano a premium iPod the could have charged $30 more for the black and had the 8GB Nanos in color. My girlfriend who wants a green Nano is buying an black 8GB, not because it's hot or a premium iPod it's because she has no other color option for an 8GB Nano.

20. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

21. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

I want a nano chameleon. I'd be easy to misplace, but quite an ice breaker.

But really, I'd buy a green 8 GB tomorrow, and sell my white 4 GB. But not black. It is so, "I Think I'm Cool." The SS Nazis were the ones who popularized the whole black leather b.s. The look was picked up by motorcyclist rebels and the avant-garde in the 50s, and it's been metastasizing ever since.

22. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

It doesn't bother me, but there better be a black dock available :)

23. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Is this one nano enough for you? It is pretty small... :cool:

[​IMG]

24. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

Exactly! They definitely want to push the 4GB model more than the other two - that's why it has other colors while the 2GB and 8GB come in standard silver and black (respectively).

25. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

cos black is the new <insert your favourite colour here>