Why is the file so big?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ArtOfWarfare, Sep 5, 2009.

1. macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Ok, so I have a video file at a little over 1:40 hours long with dimensions of 480x272. It's an MPEG-4 Video File. I originally meant for it to go on my iPhone, but now I've reconsidered and I want to burn it to a DVD.

The video takes up 856.9 MB of space on my HD (according to Finder... I'm running Snow Leopard now which means this number is base ten, not two.) When I drop it into iDVD, slap a theme on it, and tell it to burn, it tells me it's too much to burn. I hit the little disclose triangle and it tells me the file is... over 5 GB!? How is it that just by dragging the video into iDVD, it's gone to being 6x as large!?

And more importantly, how do I just get the dang video onto my DVD!?

2. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

iDVD recalculates the size based on how big it will be, once it is converted to DVD quality.

Check Project > Project Info ... then Encoding. There you should be able to adjust the quality to fit on the DVD.

3. thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Thanks, I changed it from "Best Performance" to "Professional Quality" or something like that... in any event, it's only ~3900 MB now which will actually fit on a DVD.

4. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I'm not sure why iDVD doesn't automatically adjust the quality in order to fit on the disc, that would make more sense.