Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Okay, but what does that mean, really? Support by whom?
Support from the company ultimately responsible for your device, the manufacturer.

The community support is all well and good, but it's addressing a deficiency on the part of the manufacturer. Unofficial support for OS upgrades looses some of its luster since rooting compromises your warranty.

Also, the support received by the Droid from Moto is uncommon. Of more than a dozen Android handsets released in the same year as the Droid, only a few received OS upgrades beyond 2.1. How are you supposed to know in advance if your handset will be among the few that receive such perks?

Last edited:

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
It's quite obvious :rolleyes:

When you use free open source software you are supporting the comunity that builds the software, good people intentioned on helping each other like Google.

When you use propietary (bad) software you are just supporting a big and greedy corporation like Apple.

think about it, would you rather support Google (a large comunity of developers) or Apple (a greedy big corporation).

I hate to break it to you but Google is out there to make money too. They just do it in different ways (That aren't so apparent to the end user cause what they are selling is your viewership for ads and such and the end user honestly isn't their customer, the end user is the commodity they are selling).

But quit with this idea of the evil corporation. If they're "selling" you something, they are a corporation and there for profits. So by your definition, cause Apple likes to make profits makes them evil, so is Google.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
...not that I'm complaining. I sold my 32GB iPhone 4 just now to get a Samsung Galaxy S II. I just love how high the iPhone 4 fetches despite the hardware being mediocre, at best.

Seriously, the Galaxy S II beat it in every way. It's got a ARM-v9 1.2GHz Dual-Core Processor, which is better than the A5. It's got 1GB RAM and it decodes 1080p h.264 MKV like butter without the need for conversion. It's thinner. It has a better battery. It has a better camera. Even with all this, it's barely more expensive than a used iPhone 4.

It's a no brainer for me to upgrade when I saw the SGS II. It's the first Android phone that actually appealed to me after using iOS since 2007. I've done a lot of research, and Android is definitely not the immature platform with no apps that many iPhone users still assume. I can't find anything I currently do on my iPhone that I can't do on Android. But vice versa, nope. I can't wirelessly sync my music, can I? :rolleyes:

Oh well. I guess it's because of ignorance that my iPhone 4 can fetch such a good price on eBay. The SGS II is going to be my new baby until Steve pulls out the iPhone 5 this September. That thing will have to be really magical for me to switch back now. If the iPhone 5 is just going to run the A5, it's not going to match the SGS II, and with the closed nature of iOS, I hardly think I'll be able to play my anime unconverted.

Well, I'll wait and see.

Damn 9 months old thread get resurrected. But I see it still funny. He was mumbling and ranting about iPhone back then, just to find out that NOW he get himself an iPhone 4S (assume his signatures are accurate, of course)..

What a hypocrite at best, wouldn't you say? I thought OP would love a Galaxy Nexus instead of mediocre hardware on 4S, it uses the same mediocre A5 CPU found in iPad 2 which barely able to play H.264 MKV anime videos. iPhone sucks, yeah? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Oh, no doubt I'm looking forward to WWDC just as much as you are and that iPhone 5 launch sometime after that. As previously mentioned, one of the things I'd love to see is a new notifications system.

But as long as they don't release APIs for hardware acceleration, the iPhone 5 is just not going to cut it for me. I need to play my MKVs. :cool:

So, you decided to eat your own words? Feels good that one, huh? Enjoy!!! :rolleyes:

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Ive stayed with my iPhone 4 because the 4s does not really improve on what i use now.

Im not a big user of the camera so the improvement is not a biggie for me.

The new chip did get me interested !

I have Siri on my iPhone 4.

Conflicting threads on the iPhone 4s battery stats.

I get around 1.5 days from my 4 with moderate to heavy use.

I prefer to buy my iPhone's sim free and i didn't see the pull to spend £499 for the extra's the 4s would give me at this time.

Used 4s in the Uk are not that much cheaper than the shop bought one.

I don't use well known auction sites.

I could sell my iPhone 4 for around £200 to £250 to help towards the cost, but my daughter has her eyes on it ! lol :rolleyes:

Im one of the millions awaiting the release of whatever apple decide to call their new iPhone.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I've just factory re-set my 4 and it's up for sale...I looked around before setting a price I thought was fair....I have been inundated with calls about it....Some from as far away as Scotland.

There is obviously still a market for the 4...( I boobed with the price, but will stick with it now ) It's still a great phone, I'm just one of those "gotta have the newbie type of people)...Only IOS devices though, my Mac's are on a fixed upgrade date (2 years, or longer if things are still running as I need)

Last edited:

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I've just factory re-set my 4 and it's up for sale...I looked around before setting a price I thought was fair....I have been inundated with calls about it....Some from as far away as Scotland.

There is obviously still a market for the 4...( I boobed with the price, but will stick with it now ) It's still a great phone, I'm just one of those "gotta have the newbie type of people)...Only IOS devices though, my Mac's are on a fixed upgrade date (2 years, or longer if things are still running as I need)

can i ask how much you put it up for and what gb/colour ?

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wow...when was this topic bumped?

According to the OP's sig, he now has an iPhone 4S. What happened to that SII he was hyping up :p

I think I stated quite clearly in paragraph 4 that I was only looking for a phone to keep me company while I wait for "iPhone 5" after selling my iPhone 4. The SGS2 filled that role pretty well.

----------

Damn 9 months old thread get resurrected. But I see it still funny. He was mumbling and ranting about iPhone back then, just to find out that NOW he get himself an iPhone 4S (assume his signatures are accurate, of course)..

What a hypocrite at best, wouldn't you say? I thought OP would love a Galaxy Nexus instead of mediocre hardware on 4S, it uses the same mediocre A5 CPU found in iPad 2 which barely able to play H.264 MKV anime videos. iPhone sucks, yeah? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So, you decided to eat your own words? Feels good that one, huh? Enjoy!!! :rolleyes:

I still have my SGS2. And my signatures are very accurate. You can see from my YouTube channel that I do indeed own both phones. In fact I was so excited about the iPhone 4S I was the one who started the "International iPhone 4S Order Status Thread", which is still pinned in the iPhone subforums today.

The SGS2 fills a niche. It is more powerful than the iPhone 4S, yes, but its battery life is horrible, as with the app selection. The iPhone 4S doesn't have battery problems or a lack of apps, but it still can't decode all my animu without going through Air Video or StreamToMe.

So I carry both. Got a problem with that? :cool:

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
Black 32GB Immaculate, leather case, bumper, speck rear cover, and a pack of these damn screen protectors I can'r put on...:) 300.00

Like I said I think it will go today...I put it on a local free ad site

Ooh, that's a steal.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Black 32GB Immaculate, leather case, bumper, speck rear cover, and a pack of these damn screen protectors I can'r put on...:) 300.00

Like I said I think it will go today...I put it on a local free ad site

Somebody didn't do their homework before setting a price !

Someone's gonna be happy !

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago

Strangely enough, two guy's who said they were coming didn't show up....Never been any good at this selling caper...:(

----------

I did a little research, but failed to notice the column on the site that listed cosmetic damage..:mad: I've alway's passed my phones on to friends but my buddy decided he couldn't afford an iPad data plan, so I thought I'd just get enough cash to treat myself to a Wacom drawing tablet..Or save it and put it towards the ipad3.

The ipad2 is already going to a buddy as a gift, so I won't be selling that. Just not good at selling I guess. Few years back before Ebay had the safety and security stuff bolted down, I got ripped for 2K....Never used them since and wouldn't again, even though everyone says it's safe now.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Wow...when was this topic bumped?

I think I stated quite clearly in paragraph 4 that I was only looking for a phone to keep me company while I wait for "iPhone 5" after selling my iPhone 4. The SGS2 filled that role pretty well.

----------

I still have my SGS2. And my signatures are very accurate. You can see from my YouTube channel that I do indeed own both phones. In fact I was so excited about the iPhone 4S I was the one who started the "International iPhone 4S Order Status Thread", which is still pinned in the iPhone subforums today.

The SGS2 fills a niche. It is more powerful than the iPhone 4S, yes, but its battery life is horrible, as with the app selection. The iPhone 4S doesn't have battery problems or a lack of apps, but it still can't decode all my animu without going through Air Video or StreamToMe.

So I carry both. Got a problem with that? :cool:

It's your money, no problem with that. Who am I to argue? But it's funny seeing you were bashing iPhone 4 to be mediocre but still sell well (granted it was an older phone compared to SGSII) and at the same time you were ranting A5 chip if it to be used on next gen iPhone after all (which happens to the 4S) then the "iPhone 5 just won't cut it for me", yet you still bought it anyway.
In fact you loved 4S for what it is. So, yes, no problem with you owning both .. BUT ...

Next time SGSIII to be released, you'd go create another thread, bashing 4S to be much much slower, outdated .. oh it's so suck you wanna throw it away, mediocre, asking why does it sell well .. and 12months from now you came up again with iPhone 5 on your signature and praise it.

No offense .. but how about some consistency? Love it or hate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.