Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phill50

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2011
I thought a better name for the thread should be, why is the iphone3gs still selling so well,. ??

Marketing, // marketing mix and the promotional side of it, that apple uses like no other company.

I know for my teenagers that its about having whats the coolest and what everybody has or wants and has nothing to do with syncing, gigs or processing speeds thats dads problem. I help people all the time with there iphones all the time along with other phones but there is just something about the iphone that makes it easy to ask for help on what few things go wrong.

I personally hate a lot of things about apple/iphone/ haven to jailbreak to print? what is that about/ facetime/ use 3g for much and so on. there is in fact a lot better if you have time sorry but its just my personal experience // but also, if you dont have an iphone well you dont have an iphone!!!!

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
Looks like I might have to switch phones then :(

btw how did you get Netflix app to stream movies on your sgs2???

the Netflix team said the only Android phones it works on are HTC phones w/ snapdragon processors...

There is the app floating around the internet you just download it onto your microsd then install it on the phone. It works perfectly, having your music on amazons cloud is awesome also.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
Looks like I might have to switch phones then :(

btw how did you get Netflix app to stream movies on your sgs2???

the Netflix team said the only Android phones it works on are HTC phones w/ snapdragon processors...

It works on the nexus s and that has a hummingbird.

raney150

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
I thought a better name for the thread should be, why is the iphone3gs still selling so well,. ??

Marketing, // marketing mix and the promotional side of it, that apple uses like no other company.

I know for my teenagers that its about having whats the coolest and what everybody has or wants and has nothing to do with syncing, gigs or processing speeds thats dads problem. I help people all the time with there iphones all the time along with other phones but there is just something about the iphone that makes it easy to ask for help on what few things go wrong.

I personally hate a lot of things about apple/iphone/ haven to jailbreak to print? what is that about/ facetime/ use 3g for much and so on. there is in fact a lot better if you have time sorry but its just my personal experience // but also, if you dont have an iphone well you dont have an iphone!!!!

Well for the 3GS, it's its price that is selling it, and the marketing. But it is a low price..

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
There is the app floating around the internet you just download it onto your microsd then install it on the phone. It works perfectly, having your music on amazons cloud is awesome also.

I honestly don't get the big deal about the cloud. I don't want to depend on a solid internet connection when I want to listen to my music-imagine going through a tunnel on a commute, imagine going on holiday abroad you want to avoid huge data roaming charges etc. I'd rather just have more capacity on my own device.

solowmodel

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
Honest question:

Is there any difference between watching 720p and 1080p on a screen which cannot match the native resolution (i.e. smartphones)?

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Because it is the cool thing to have. Seriously. Brand matters a lot to people like those that have Louis Vuitton or drive BMWs. Sure there are other purses and wallets to carry and other more fuel-efficient cars to drive, but brand matters in this world where marketing rules. Apple is viewed as the luxury of the tech world and people will recognize an iPhone faster than a Galaxy S II or any other android device.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
fyi, u don't need to convert videos to play on the iOS, just use AVplayer, it works great and even has iPad 2’s dualcore acceleration.

and android doesn't have app as polished as tweetbot. boooooo!!!!

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
There's a famous interview with Steve Jobs that he did sometime in the 80s or 90s and a single quote often gets pulled from it:

"Microsoft have no style"

You can say exactly the same thing about Android now. Sure, it does what it's supposed to do but it does so with an inconsistent and visually thoughtless approach that feels cheap and thrown together.

Just as I can't sit in a room with a different kind of wallpaper on each wall and mismatching dining chairs, I can't stand to use an OS that looks like it was designed by a bunch of blind hedgehogs in a bag.

I understand that many people don't care about this stuff though. Or actually can't see it. They're also people that have no style.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
@OP: I hope you enjoy your new phone. Erm... given that it isn't an iPhone, does that mean you'll not be posting here again? ;)

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
I just though I would show you that I have netflix on my SGS2 plus amazon cloud music and androids new music service.....and a gorgeous 4.3 inch super amoled plus screen, two 1.2ghz processors, 1gb of ram, 16gb internal, a microsd card slot, and I can change my battery without negating my warranty.

Wow! Look at all those pixels, clear as day. Pass!

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
You poor, pathetic, misguided fandroids and your plastic fantasic Samsung GSII.

Last month it was some other Android, next month it will be another. :rolleyes:

Just let us enjoy our Apple products in peace. ;)

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
I just though I would show you that I have netflix on my SGS2 plus amazon cloud music and androids new music service.....and a gorgeous 4.3 inch super amoled plus screen, two 1.2ghz processors, 1gb of ram, 16gb internal, a microsd card slot, and I can change my battery without negating my warranty.

So the galaxy s2 is out?

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
You poor, pathetic, misguided fandroids and your plastic fantasic Samsung GSII.

Last month it was some other Android, next month it will be another. :rolleyes:

Just let us enjoy our Apple products in peace. ;)

No kidding! Why do they feel the need to come here and brag about a product line that has a new device every few weeks? If you like your device regardless of what OS/hardware it runs on then great but why does it always have to come to my phone can do this and yours can't.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Seriously, the Galaxy S II beat it in every way. It's got a ARM-v9 1.2GHz Dual-Core Processor, which is better than the A5. It's got 1GB RAM and it decodes 1080p h.264 MKV like butter without the need for conversion. It's thinner. It has a better battery. It has a better camera. Even with all this, it's barely more expensive than a used iPhone 4.

And this is why the iPhone is still selling well, Android advertises specs, which outside of these forums, 90% of people don't care about. Apple just advertises that their products work without explaining why.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
What people on these forums fail to realize is that we are the exception, not the rule. Same goes for Engadget, and BGR, and all the others. It's a small group that quibbles over Snapdragon vs. A5's, or Retina vs AMOLED, et-al. Go take 100 random people walking about, or in a mall and ask them what phone's they're using. If the majority are Android, better than 90% have NO idea what Rooting means. Nor can they tell you if it's Froyo vs. Gingerbread. Same on iPhone..."Did you Jailbreak it, and install Cydia?". The response will be a puzzled look, and a "What?".

By no means is this a slam on anyone here, just putting things into perspective. Most people will get a new phone in 18 months, or whenever their plan allows them a cheap, or free upgrade. They'll then get whatever they can afford, or take the cheapest one. Hence the big rush for the 3GS [$49/USD]. Like above, only a small group will run out and get the latest Android handset from HTC, or Moto when they're released, and then put their old one up on eBay or whatever.

My point? Like someone else said earlier; it's a phone. If it makes calls, sends texts, takes some good pictures, and lets you cruise the web when out and about, who cares what it is? If it works for you, cool. Be happy, and go about your life. Don't let some stupid piece of electronics govern your life...

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
See I was like the OP once. When I had my iPhone 3G and the EVO came out, it turned me into a spec whore so even when put up against the iP4, the EVO I felt was vastly superior so I went and got it. The EVO was great and I wasn't missing iOS one bit, and when the Epic came out I switched to that. Well here I am, after using Android for about a year I can't take it anymore. Yes, there are things Android does well, but for me it's all about having one centralized device. I gave that up and had to go back to using my old iPod (though I did try Android's default music app, it doesn't hold a candle to iPod). I have everything synced with iTunes, and a music library surpassing the limitations of a 16GB SD. Not to mention, the android Market is still far behind the App Store, even though you can find a lot of apps, the Android versions are just lacking compared to their iOS counterparts. And I really underrated not having iTunes on my phone.

I have a date with Verizon soon, getting the white 32GB iPhone 4 and while it's become clear to me that Android phones will always have the upper hand in the specs department....Lets see what those specs do when you find out what a piece of crap the OS can be at times.

Archerious

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2010
Texas
See I was like the OP once. When I had my iPhone 3G and the EVO came out, it turned me into a spec whore so even when put up against the iP4, the EVO I felt was vastly superior so I went and got it. The EVO was great and I wasn't missing iOS one bit, and when the Epic came out I switched to that. Well here I am, after using Android for about a year I can't take it anymore. Yes, there are things Android does well, but for me it's all about having one centralized device. I gave that up and had to go back to using my old iPod (though I did try Android's default music app, it doesn't hold a candle to iPod). I have everything synced with iTunes, and a music library surpassing the limitations of a 16GB SD. Not to mention, the android Market is still far behind the App Store, even though you can find a lot of apps, the Android versions are just lacking compared to their iOS counterparts. And I really underrated not having iTunes on my phone.

I have a date with Verizon soon, getting the white 32GB iPhone 4 and while it's become clear to me that Android phones will always have the upper hand in the specs department....Lets see what those specs do when you find out what a piece of crap the OS can be at times.

My uncle was similar. He had a black 32GB 3GS and tried out the Sony Xperia X10 and liked it. Then he had a upgrade to Samsung Captivate, he started not liking Android OS. After about 3 months he used a upgrade on his family plan (on November 2010) to get a 16GB iPhone 4. He told me that Android is great, but it isn't as nice as iOS. iTunes is a plus, Apple App Store is a plus, jailbreaking and unlocking makes your phones value go $$$$+++. Rooting and true multitasking are a way for you battery to go way down.

zob321

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2011
Honest question:

Is there any difference between watching 720p and 1080p on a screen which cannot match the native resolution (i.e. smartphones)?

Yes, there definitely a difference you can see, but is but its not a big difference. at all. Generally i'd load 720p because its faster and smaller.

However sometimes you don't have a choice and the video is only in 1080p, then i enjoy being able to read it without any further conversion.

zob321

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2011
These are the true differences between the phones btw, leaving the OS differences appart, just features. The list is longer for the SGS II as it's newer, of course.

SGS II:
- better colors, contrast
- lighter, large screen, thin, even small hands can use it. very good for browsing
- faster, can read almost any video format and size
- updates possible over the air
- sd card in additional to the internal storage
- removable battery
- 8MP and actually good quality camera
- 1080p and actually good quality recording
- HDMI output
- USB host (you can plug your usb drive etc on it)
- Wifi Direct (fast device-to-device connection)
- UPNPav/DLNA (stream anything from/to your media devices, supports a large amount of devices and is standard)
- Integrated phone control over wifi (show your pictures, movies, listen to your music, etc from any computer on the same wifi network, also can manage contacts/files/sms/etc)
- Adobe Flash support
- NFC support
- FREE phone remote tracking/wipe/lock/etc
Battery life time is similar (not kidding, the SGSII has made a good advance there)

iPhone4:
- Smaller
- Sync with Apple stuff seamlessly
- Much more games

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.