Why is the iPod better?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by JOD8FY, May 12, 2004.

1. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    United States
    Hello All,

My friend is in the market for a digital music player and so, of course, I showed him the iPod. He liked it, but of course, he went to his Windows resellers, Dell and Gateway, to see what they had and is now convinced they are better. (These are all 20GB models):

stores over 9,000 songs
    Fixed rechargeable battery with up to 20 hours battery life
    7.6 oz
    4.1 x 2.7 x .86 inches
    Carrying case
    USB 2.0
    Price: $279

Comments: over 9,000 songs? I know it's thicker and heavier too.

stores 8,000 songs
    Wired Remote Cable
    10 hr Battery Life
    Case w/belt clip
    3.99 x 2.64 x .83 inches
    7.7 oz
    Built in FM tuner and Voice Recorder
    USB 2.0
    Price: $299

Comments: Oooh, a built in FM tuner and Voice Recorder!

stores 5,000 songs
    iPod Dock
    8 hr battery
    2.4 x 4.1 x .62 inches
    Wired Remote
    Carrying case w/belt clip
    Price: $399

Comments: Nice design, firewire, all touch interface, thinner and lighter.

Anyway, I was wondering what you guys had to say. Many of you have iPods, why did you buy them? What do you like about them? What should I tell my friend?

Also, why do they hold different song amounts if they all have a 20GB drive? Does the iPod support .wma? WHY IS THE IPOD BETTER? :D

Thanks a lot,
  2. applejack macrumors newbie

Apr 1, 2004
    Re: Why ipod

I'd say form factor and iTunes integration were big points in my getting an ipod. And if I'm being totally honest, the "it" factor played into it too - you're going to drop a few hundred bucks on this thing, do you really want a Gateway? I would like line in recording, but I guess it wasn't a deal-breaker for me.

For Windows users, maybe some of that isn't as important. (Hey, they're using Windows, it can't be all that important).

ipod doesn't support wma, but the new iTunes version will convert wma to aac on a windows machine (insert lossy to lossy conversion warning here).
  3. abc123 macrumors 6502

Apr 26, 2004
    1. size
    2. i had been using itunes as my desktop mp3 player for a long time before buying an ipod and like that it all works together.
    3. looks and style. other mp3 players are ugly.

also you should note that song capacity wouldn't have been calculated the same way for each of those companies, in actual fact I can’t see why it would differ from one to another. I’ve used half of my ipod space with 2185 songs with an average song size of 4.3 megs and an average length of 3min, 42 seconds. Except for the AAC files on my ipod that the other players wouldn’t support, my 2185x4.3 would take up the same amount of space on any of them. it is likely that dell based their capacity on wma files (i'm just assuming that they are smaller) that is how they came up with the bigger number.
  4. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    also remember that many windows portable players will list the number of songs using WMA @ 64 kbps. if such is the case, using MP3 @ 128 kbps will cut the number of song capacity in half.

here's what's on dell.com about the capacity:

so it's the same capacity as the iPod. i imagine the same for gateway.

iPod is 5.6 oz., roughly 25% lighter, which is a lot more substantial than it sounds at that size.

but in your friend's case, add in the fact he will need a firewire card on his PC or he will need to purchase FW/USB2 cable for iPod.
  5. mr_mac macrumors member

May 1, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    the iPod song count is for AAC, not MP3 which have better sound quality than a MP3 at equivalent bit rate.

The PC rates song count on .WMA 64kbps Which is really crappy.

The iPod. Period.
  6. hughdogg macrumors member

Sep 8, 2003
    Springfield, MA - Birthplace of Basketball
    The Total Package

I think it is the total package of iPod, iTunes and ITMS, that sealed the deal for me. The size and interface also were a big plus. The total song capacity is not so much an issue. I've got 3,700 songs loaded in mine, and I'll listen to maybe 400 or 500 of them a week, so it is not such a big deal. It is cool to be able to say, "I want to listen to this song, now," and be able to find it. However, I'm begining to covet a mini since I don't really ever do that much...I get in moods, or listen to a certain couple of artists for a while, for which a mini would be fine...

Also, availabilty of accessories, being the leading player in the market, you are going to have a broader range of accessories to chose from to fit your needs.

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    It's often very hard to describe why Apple's products are the best, it's kinda like "they just are"
  8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    if you have an iPod, you're in. Celebs have iPods, they've become fashion accessories, Gucci makes bags for them now. It's a way of saying, hey, i spent $400 on music, i'm just cool like that.

The form factor and ease-of-use are also big selling points, as is integration with iTunes. but i think the fashionability is huge.

9. Danrose1977 macrumors regular

In a recent interview in the Times daily magazine (T2 I think its called) Kate Beckinsale said she couldn't stand to loose her iPod, and that is why you need one..... I think? :confused:

Or perhaps its:

- Looks
    - Sound quality
    - Form factor
  10. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    Actually the answer would depend a lot on whether your friend already uses iTunes or the iTMS, or plans on buying any music online at all.

If he already uses iTunes/iTMS: iPod, hands down. Integration is just better.

If he's going to be buying music online: iTMS has the largest catalog and the best personal use rights, and rights and pricing are consistent. This isn't as much the case, or at all the case, with some of the other, WMA-based stores. So that leads, again, back to the iPod.

If neither of those apply, remind him that 20 GB is 20 GB, no matter how many songs anyone claims to fit on their players. He'll be able to fit the same amount of his own music, at his customary encoding rate and format, on all of them. So that's not a consideration.

Now, if he's got a real need for the super-long battery life, the voice recorder, or the FM tuner, fine. One of the others might be the better choice. But otherwise, think of it like this: you're getting the same 20 GB in a bigger, clunkier package with a poorer interface that won't work as well with the best jukebox program and the leading music store.

It really takes almost no time at all to find a song on the iPod, even amongst thousands. It's simply and clearly laid out in a fashion that anyone else has yet to come close to, and that's something you don't value or appreciate until you're stuck actually USING the gizmo on a daily basis. Then it's the difference between "I love my iPod, it's the coolest thing ever!" and "Drat this thing, I wish I'd bought an iPod." :D
  11. hulugu macrumors 68000

Aug 13, 2003
    the faraway towns
    It's the little touches

The games, the ability to use it as an address book, the ability to use it as a Firewire drive, the notes capability...
    ...its the clean lines, the light weight, the award-winning interface...
    ...it works seamlessly with iTunes and iTMS and works on both Windows and Mac—not important for your friend, but this is a Good Thing...
    ...all the accessories: there are hundreds of choices for cases, aftermarket parts including microphones, a battery pack, a flash reader, wireless transmitters, etc.
    ...it's from Apple who have generally been very good at supporting their products...
    ...it's cool, people ask about it, girls swoon—it's almost as good as a puppy.

I have now both a 2nd generation 10Gig and a Mini and I really like both of them, they're very well designed, solidly contructed, the cables are even nicer, even the box is cooler.
    Reward the guy who makes the BEST product not the johnny-come-latelys.
  12. AuPhalanx macrumors regular

Apr 23, 2004
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Everyone is right on with what they are saying. I will add a few items:

* Great form factor.
    * Being able to use it as a hard drive to store notes and such. I have recipes on it and shopping lists. It's sort of a mini-PDA.
    * Regardless of what some may say, the sound quality is fine (if not great!).
    * Integration with the iTMS, iTunes, iCal, Address Book, and the BackUp Utility.
    * The user interface is great. It's wicked high-tech. I dig the touch buttons.
    * It's size. This is one of those rare cases where smaller is better. My gal has a 15-GB iPod and when that is in my pocket I can barely tell that it's there. My 30-GB is a little bulkier, but it's hardly a nuisance to carry with me.
    * It is one of those rare gadgets about which people routinely state they "could not live without". My gal says that all the time.

In the end, your friend should try one for himself. Go to a Best Buy and play with the Rio and the iRiver and the iPod. Trust me, there is no comparison. BTW... Who wants an FM radio on their 'Pod when you can have 3,106 songs (the number of tunes on my 'Pod) that you really dig? To each his own, I guess.

Have fun... Tony.
  13. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    the great OKLAHOMA....

look at the new sony one..it has so many buttons! i know i hate using the mac mouse...but it looks good! the ipod has all of the features that you would use frequently....really would you use...a crappy voice recorder?

i know i wouldn't....by a apple....PLEASE
  14. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2002
    buffalo ny
    the ipod is just g0dlike... there is no reason for another mp3/aac player to

ive had the 30 and now the 40 gig... ive got 7777 tunes in it... no lie... it
    sounds great... i hook mine up to speakers an listen to it all day at work...

its "cool" factor is off the charts... its wicked hi-tech... other mp3 players
    seem like toys... with schoddy interfaces... and they dont have that sexy chrome apple scratched on the back of them...

tell your friend to get an ipod hands down...
  15. GetGo macrumors regular

Jan 2, 2004
    New Jersey
    I did thr research before buying....

I read all the stuff about the battery time and size and price. I considered the Dell also. But the thing that sold me was when computers shows and magazines were saying the Quality of the sound is so much better in the iPod. Also with all the new players coming out they still rate the iPod #1. I love the iPod money well spent.
  16. Apmonia macrumors regular

Jul 29, 2003
    I guess it had to do with two factors for me:

1. I already owned an iBook. Much easier to buy an Apple product after that.

2. After using many different players (I work at Best Buy) I had to say that the iPod is the easiest one to use and I had the most enjoyable experience with it. Many of the guys I work with are all about Bill Gates and his world (some wear pins bearing his likeness) and they will recommend nothing but the iPod. Now if only I could convert them to buy a Mac computer.....hmmmm....

Overall, the iPod is just plain better. It wouldn't be the best selling player out there if it wasn't. Most computer users have a negative view point of Apple products and they are obviously buying them so....

One question though: Has he used one for any length of time? I mean all of them, including the Dell DJ and the Gateway.

17. mpopkin macrumors 6502

Nov 14, 2003
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Believe it or not
    Here are some reason's the ipod is better

1) Better Sound Quality, i have used the Dell Jukebox, not the gateway model, but have owned many mp3 players in my time ( Iomega Hipzip, Rio 600, Sony NetMD player and the original 10 gb ipod) and i now own the ipod mini which rocks and is the best player out there(as are the other ipods), but the one thing that sets the iPod above the rest is they sound better NO matter what headphones you are using
    2) Another distinguising factor is the interface, not with itunes but on the player itself, the iPod is the easiest to use, simplest to enjoy and the best way to catalog and access your music
    3) Integration with your Windows/Mac is better, i have only MAC's now because they rule and i am heavily into video editing and photography, but when i actually used my dell laptop, the options pre itunes sucked, aka musicmatch(should be called Musiccrash) and WMA(should be called WDOA) there are no good window's players except itunes and the dell music jukebox software, does it work, heck no, it crashes in xp all the time, all i do with my pod' is put it into my dock and 1,2,3 my music is updated and my pod is charging
    4) it is smaller, the jukebox and those competing players are all bigger than the ipod and harder to use

Ask yourself the question, while the competition is cheaper(they know they are not able to compete at the iPod's price) it has several features the iPod does not(line-in), i would simply wait for the next gen ipod and you will see all these features probably, but the real question is are you willing to settle for mediocrity, bad sound quality, hard to use and to sync and an out of style player for the next year or two, or can you realize that shucking out 50/100 dollars more will get you a player with twice the quality, easy to use and better sound quality to top it out.

Go the way of the iPod, i guarantee you will not regret it

18. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2003
    that town east of ann arbor
    ergonomics and eye candy. i bought 2 mp3 players before getting my ipod. and it fit so well. i'm not sure if that is really a factor for your friend. if only he could handle all three choices at once, then he would see what suits him the most. or get a mini in his hands and watch the guy melt!
  19. stuuke macrumors regular

Apr 19, 2004
    I do wish that the ipod had an fm tuner. For anyone who works out where they have tv's that broadcast a signal it would handy. I can't wait for a color screen and built in compact flash card ability. That would be a photographers dream.