Why is the iTMS charging double tax?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by starcrossed, Oct 6, 2004.

1. starcrossed macrumors regular

My cousin wanted to come over to my house to get some songs from the iTMS, but he didn't have a credit card or wanted to use mine. So since he works for Target, he decided just to buy a iTunes Prepaid Card for 15 songs from there. I had the assumption that since you would pay the local tax at the Target store, the iTMS wouldn't have to charge for tax. Once he got to purchasing the 14th song, I looked at the computer screen and noticed there was a little box next to my email address on the iTMS site that said $0.06 credit left. So pretty much he got jipped on the 15th song because of double taxing. My question is this normal, and how is this possible?

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I've never payed any tax on songs purchased from the iTMS...

3. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I've always had to pay tax. If you have a problem with billing, call Apple.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Sounds like he is saying both TARGET and APPLE charged tax for the 15 song gift card.

Target, when he bought the card, and Apple at the iTMS.

However if Target did charge $15 for a 15 song gift card, with Apple nailing you for taxes it's doubtful you'd get 15 songs.

If Target charged you $15 + tax, then there is a problem in the way Apple -- or Target -- is processing the cards.

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I never thought about that... interesting...

when the iTunes Music Store first opened up I had to pay tax but that was maybe only for the first month or so... I haven't paid tax since. It shows up with tax on the pre-authorization but the final authorization has no tax added... and I'm okay with that... :)