Why is the Powerbook less durable than the iBook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by princealfie, Apr 14, 2006.

1. macrumors 68030

princealfie

:eek: I was thinking that the Al, Ti PB and MBP are not as "durable" as the iBooks. Strangely enough, the Powerbook and MBP are considered professional level laptops and I am puzzled why the professional version is not as tough as the consumer level iBooks?

2. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

They're a bit more prone to scratch and dent when compared to the plastic iBook.

3. macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

I think they make iBooks out of similar materials as bullet proof glass, that's certainly not to say an iBook is bullet proof, it's just mean to take a few knocks in a backpack or what have you.

4. macrumors G4

Mord

ibooks are for school/home/kids environments that are prone to accidents, powerbooks/MBP's are designed for pro's who want speed and a small form factor and they are more likely to be more careful with their kit

5. macrumors regular

Heres a conspiracy theory:

Since "professionals" probably make more money they are more like able to replace their dented or scratched machines more often if it really bothers them. They know a poor student/consumer wouldn't be able to replace their computer as easily if this happened so they made it more durable.

I dunno though..just an idea

6. macrumors 68020

revenuee

careful -- you might see a few men in sunglasses, black turtle necks and blue jeans knocking on your door for that one <-- they'll do anything to keep you SILENCED

7. thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yes, but from a view of the professional photographer, when I'm out in the field, I'm always freaked out about keeping my powerbooks from being knocked over by a client or critter...:mad:

8. macrumors 68020

Besides the hinges, the TiBooks are durable as hell...

9. Guest

caveman_uk

This is BS. I've had both and my iBook was unbelievably easy to scratch (as easy as the nano's). My powerbook doesn't have a single scratch in it...now dents...maybe. I don't have any of those either....then again. I look after my stuff.

10. macrumors 68020

Yeah, they are just harder to see on the iBook.

11. macrumors 65816

It's even simpler for me. My **** just doesn't scratch, because I treat it good. What on earth do you guys do to computers that make them scratch and dent? Just take good care of it and nothing happends.

The reason the pro laptops are aluminum is because they let off more heat, and aluminum lets the heat out more efficently than the bullet proof plastic or whatever.

I'm planning on getting a macbook pro soon, and if it ever gets one scratch or dent, I will give everyone on this site $1000. I'm not kidding. I just don't let my stuff get damaged. I'm a responsible guy.

12. thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

I agree if you take care of it. However, if you are out in dirty or questionable environments like the forest or in the middle of an industrial complex with airborne grease, then is the powerbook all that?:eek:

13. macrumors 65816

yoda13

Be careful my friend, its blanket statements like that, that lead to the inevitable...:eek:

14. macrumors 6502a

xPismo

I don't think anything apple sells will last long in that kind of industral setting. Heck, I doubt I'd last long in that kind of setting. i think its mostly marketing, but I do see a fair amount of dented, scratched, and chiped Powerbooks at school while most - if not all - of the iBook's I see look nearly new.

I won't be trading down anytime soon though. :D

15. macrumors 68020

... and a bag of chips. :D